“good stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown

You added Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown to your Saves list
Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   161 Laurier Avenue West, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5J2, Canada (Byward Market Area)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #28 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Calgary, Canada
“good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I had stayed at several other hotels in Ottawa but this was my first time at the Marriott Residence. The suite was very large, well maintained and had all the amenities that I needed. The high speed internet really was high speed and the fitness facility had everythign that I was used to using. What I thought was the best? - staff was really freindly and helpful, the buffet breakfast had a great variety and was well provisioned and the location was outstanding. All in all I'll be back on my next trip to the capital.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Douglas C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Nick D,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us on your recent visit to Ottawa.
I want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with your fellow travelers on TripAdvisor.

I am glad that our amenities, location and spacious suites helped you to make the most of your trip. At Residence Inn it is our goal to ensure our guests feel as though we are their home away from home.

If you had anything you wished to speak to me directly about regarding this stay, I would be happy to hear from you. I can be reached at douglas.crosbie@marriott.com or by phoning 613-231-2020.

Warm Regards,

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I don't know what everyone is complaining about! The room was clean and very spacious. Yes, the décor is a bit dated but who cares. You're not living there (well maybe some people are as there is a full kitchen in some suites). The location was excellent and the staff at the desk were great, especially Stefan. We walked everywhere and did not have a car during our stay but we didn't need one. Very centrally located. Also, we enjoyed the stay simply because the room was very quiet. Nothing worse than hearing doors slamming throughout the night or hearing noise from the hallways or outside. For the price and the fact that breakfast was included, we feel we got a great deal and were not disappointed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear yybgal

I am very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa! We appreciate your kind words, and I will be sure to let Stefan know how much your appreciated his help.

Our spacious suites allow our guests to spread out and relax during their stay, and our central location makes us an excellent home base for any trip to see the sites in our great city!

Yours in hospitality,

Stuart, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Our room was good, clean and well serviced. We were in a room on 12th floor and the view was good. The hotel is located close to major attractions as well as city, river and canal tours. About 15 min walk to Byward Market, under 10 min to Parliament Hill and about the same distance to Rideua Canal & Ottawa river. Breakfast was good and they continued to replenish. I am so sorry I did not write down the names of a couple of the desk staff to give them recognition but everyone there was helpful and nice. My husband and I would certainly recommend this hotel. We stayed here for a long weekend in mid-Sept.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kathy G

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us at the Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa during your recent visit to our city.

I am happy that our location and services met your needs for your long weekend trip, and that we helped in part to making your weekend a success.

mississauga,ontario,canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

The hotel is clean, quiet, friendly and centrally located whether business or tourist. The accommodations are more a small apartment than hotel. There's a full separate kitchen, living room, bedroom and a small dining area. A decent breakfast is included as well as a snack three evenings. The snack could do as dinner if you're a light eater. There's a small excercise area near the pool. Both are clean and well maintained. At $154/night its a reasonable value. The touristy things, Parliament Hill, By ward Market, Rideau canal, etc are all within walking distance. I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Its right downtown so forget the view. All the rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Douglas C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear brocvoc,
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and your time in Ottawa. Our location and well-appointed suites make for an excellent home base for a trip to our beautiful city!

If you would like to discuss any aspect of this stay with me directly, or would like to consider a future visit, please feel welcomed to contact me at douglas.crosbie@marriott .com or 613-231-2020.

Doug Crosbie
leeds
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Just stayed one night here after struggling to get a room elsewhere, having booked less than a week ago. Very disappointing. Expected more from the Mariott, but then perhaps the standard is higher in the UK??? Relied on website's comment that hotel has been recently renovated. Not my room! Nor the one I was shown on another floor after I asked if I could be moved to one of the recently renovated rooms. I was advised by the receptionist that aspects of the rooms were being slowly renovated, carpets, furnishings, etc. No sign of this in either of the two rooms I saw! The only things that looked as though they had been added in the last decade were the tv's! The bathroom was old, the mattresses soft and lumpy with barely any coverings (I was cold and unable to sleep that night) and the accompanying kitchen old and frankly awful. I could not even bring myself to put the ke6ttle on! The public areas were full of crumbs and the rooms were old with dust and mildew. I really wish I had opted for the other hotel I had considered and that I had not been swayed by the website pictures which are both misleading and inaccurate and in no way depict the relity of this property. Book elsewhere! Shame as most of the staff were really very friendly.

Room Tip: Not sure there are any. I was shown what was supposed to be a newly renovated room, but which was id...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear nadia a,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa with your fellow travelers.

I am disappointed to hear that your expectations were not met with this stay. I would be happy to speak with you regarding your stay so that we can review the accuracy of the information you found which you based your reservation decisions on.

Please feel free to contact me at douglas.crosbie@marriott .com or 613-231-2020.

Doug Crosbie
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on business for a week. My go-to when in Ottawa is the Courtyard by Marriott at the Byward Market and I should have stayed there this time around but thought I'd give the residence inn a try. I'll keep my review brief as there isn't really much more to say. the rooms are spacious but very outdated.I settled in one night to do some work and reached for the ethernet cable on the desk only to see they wasn't plugged into the wall. I had to crawl under the desk and plug it in myself. The walls are stucco and in desperate need of a fresh coat of paint the kitchen looks as if they were from the 19 eighties but generally very convenient and had everything I needed to cook a meal. The parking garage is a bit tight but I was able to park my car without a problem. The elevator up to the main lobby from the parking garage looks and sounds Azis it will break down at any minute hopefully without me in it. I only had one interaction with hotel staff--the kind waiter who brought to my room the bottle of wine I ordered in. The bathroom was uncomfortably dirty--not dirt that was missed by the housekeeper but by what looks like months of moldy deposit on the grout and caulking that was no doubt applied to cover up said mold. Again, the decor in the bathroom is reminiscent of the 1980s and the drain and water supply pipes are visible and exposed for all to see. Small details, I know, and ones that hardly detracted from a pleasant stay but for the price I think the Marriot could do better and provide their guests with more modern accomodations. Also, on my third night my room--on the 13th floor--smelled l skunk. I left for work and the hallway smelled like skunk and diesel fumes. Very weird. Next time I will save my money and stay at the Courtyard, where comfort and value unsually complement eachother. Dont worry Marriot, you haven't lost a client. I just won't be staying at this particular hotel any more during my monthly trips to the NCR.

• Stayed October 2012
Douglas C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Paulizzy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at the Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa.

I’m terribly sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations for your latest trip to the Ottawa area. If you could please let me know what room number you were in, I will ensure that I follow up with housekeeping to address the issues you have mentioned.

If you wish to discuss any further details, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 613-231-2020 ext. 4004 or at douglas.crosbie@marriott.com.
Yours in hospitality,

Ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

First off the lobby is unlicensed. No happy hours, no beers. In other words you must socialize with your work friends beerless or in someone's room. I have never been to a residence inn where you can't drink in the lobby. Second the wireless Internet just isn't able to penetrate through the walls. If you want to be productive hopefully you get the room next to the router. Also, will someone please change the batteries on the remotes in this place? TVs were hard to operate if they worked at all.

Good things? Good large clean rooms and friendly staff and ideal location. House keeping sometimes seems in a hurry for some reason. Don't be surprised if your clean towels are in a neatly folded pile on the bed instead of our towel rack.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Douglas C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear zapoko,

Thank you for taking the time to respond regarding your stay on TripAdvisor and for choosing the Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa.

I am sorry that our lack of licensed areas caused you to not enjoy some aspects of your stay. We do have licensed Social Hours on Mondays, Wednesdays and every other Tuesdays. Complimentary light food and paid alcohol service is provided from 6:00pm – 7:30pm each of these days. These social hours are enjoyed by a lot of our guests, and it is an excellent way to catch up with fellow guests and coworkers.

I will ensure that we investigate the issues with the internet and the batteries in the remotes. I apologize for any inconvenience. If you could let me know your suite number, I will send our maintenance team up to check the signals. I can be reached at the e-mail below.

If you would like to speak to me regarding any further issues, or an upcoming stay, please feel welcomed to contact me.

613-231-2020
douglas.crosbie@marriott.com

Been to Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown? Share your experiences!