“Yet again, NOT what it says on the tin” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown

You added Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown to your Saves list
Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   161 Laurier Avenue West, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5J2, Canada (Byward Market Area)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #26 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
leeds
“Yet again, NOT what it says on the tin”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Just stayed one night here after struggling to get a room elsewhere, having booked less than a week ago. Very disappointing. Expected more from the Mariott, but then perhaps the standard is higher in the UK??? Relied on website's comment that hotel has been recently renovated. Not my room! Nor the one I was shown on another floor after I asked if I could be moved to one of the recently renovated rooms. I was advised by the receptionist that aspects of the rooms were being slowly renovated, carpets, furnishings, etc. No sign of this in either of the two rooms I saw! The only things that looked as though they had been added in the last decade were the tv's! The bathroom was old, the mattresses soft and lumpy with barely any coverings (I was cold and unable to sleep that night) and the accompanying kitchen old and frankly awful. I could not even bring myself to put the ke6ttle on! The public areas were full of crumbs and the rooms were old with dust and mildew. I really wish I had opted for the other hotel I had considered and that I had not been swayed by the website pictures which are both misleading and inaccurate and in no way depict the relity of this property. Book elsewhere! Shame as most of the staff were really very friendly.

Room Tip: Not sure there are any. I was shown what was supposed to be a newly renovated room, but which was id...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Douglas C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear nadia a,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa with your fellow travelers.

I am disappointed to hear that your expectations were not met with this stay. I would be happy to speak with you regarding your stay so that we can review the accuracy of the information you found which you based your reservation decisions on.

Please feel free to contact me at douglas.crosbie@marriott .com or 613-231-2020.

Kind Regards,
Doug Crosbie
Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on business for a week. My go-to when in Ottawa is the Courtyard by Marriott at the Byward Market and I should have stayed there this time around but thought I'd give the residence inn a try. I'll keep my review brief as there isn't really much more to say. the rooms are spacious but very outdated.I settled in one night to do some work and reached for the ethernet cable on the desk only to see they wasn't plugged into the wall. I had to crawl under the desk and plug it in myself. The walls are stucco and in desperate need of a fresh coat of paint the kitchen looks as if they were from the 19 eighties but generally very convenient and had everything I needed to cook a meal. The parking garage is a bit tight but I was able to park my car without a problem. The elevator up to the main lobby from the parking garage looks and sounds Azis it will break down at any minute hopefully without me in it. I only had one interaction with hotel staff--the kind waiter who brought to my room the bottle of wine I ordered in. The bathroom was uncomfortably dirty--not dirt that was missed by the housekeeper but by what looks like months of moldy deposit on the grout and caulking that was no doubt applied to cover up said mold. Again, the decor in the bathroom is reminiscent of the 1980s and the drain and water supply pipes are visible and exposed for all to see. Small details, I know, and ones that hardly detracted from a pleasant stay but for the price I think the Marriot could do better and provide their guests with more modern accomodations. Also, on my third night my room--on the 13th floor--smelled l skunk. I left for work and the hallway smelled like skunk and diesel fumes. Very weird. Next time I will save my money and stay at the Courtyard, where comfort and value unsually complement eachother. Dont worry Marriot, you haven't lost a client. I just won't be staying at this particular hotel any more during my monthly trips to the NCR.

• Stayed October 2012
Douglas C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Paulizzy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at the Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa.

I’m terribly sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations for your latest trip to the Ottawa area. If you could please let me know what room number you were in, I will ensure that I follow up with housekeeping to address the issues you have mentioned.

If you wish to discuss any further details, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 613-231-2020 ext. 4004 or at douglas.crosbie@marriott.com.
Yours in hospitality,

Ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

First off the lobby is unlicensed. No happy hours, no beers. In other words you must socialize with your work friends beerless or in someone's room. I have never been to a residence inn where you can't drink in the lobby. Second the wireless Internet just isn't able to penetrate through the walls. If you want to be productive hopefully you get the room next to the router. Also, will someone please change the batteries on the remotes in this place? TVs were hard to operate if they worked at all.

Good things? Good large clean rooms and friendly staff and ideal location. House keeping sometimes seems in a hurry for some reason. Don't be surprised if your clean towels are in a neatly folded pile on the bed instead of our towel rack.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Douglas C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear zapoko,

Thank you for taking the time to respond regarding your stay on TripAdvisor and for choosing the Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa.

I am sorry that our lack of licensed areas caused you to not enjoy some aspects of your stay. We do have licensed Social Hours on Mondays, Wednesdays and every other Tuesdays. Complimentary light food and paid alcohol service is provided from 6:00pm – 7:30pm each of these days. These social hours are enjoyed by a lot of our guests, and it is an excellent way to catch up with fellow guests and coworkers.

I will ensure that we investigate the issues with the internet and the batteries in the remotes. I apologize for any inconvenience. If you could let me know your suite number, I will send our maintenance team up to check the signals. I can be reached at the e-mail below.

If you would like to speak to me regarding any further issues, or an upcoming stay, please feel welcomed to contact me.

Massachussetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed over Labor day weekend and our stay was excellent. Easy to find the hotel once you get off express way. We had Honda Pilot and were not comfortable parking underground since clearance was very tight. Hotel manager was good to offer us open parking. It is limited parking and first come basis and the fact it was over long weekend means other slots from near by were also available. Rooms were very good, clean and serviced well. We got room on 12th floor and view was good. Hotel is located close to major attraction. About 15 min walk to Byward Market, under 10 min to Parliament Hill and about the same distance to Rideua Canal & Ottawa river. Breakfast was quite good. Special thanks to Samantha who everyday would come and talk to our daughter and made our stay that much more enjoyable

Room Tip: Pick Upper floor room as road noise would be less
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear sj102,

Thank you very much for choosing the Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and I am very happy that you enjoyed your visit.

Our location is difficult to beat, and I am pleased that you enjoyed your suite and that you were able to be accommodated for parking that met your needs.

I will pass along your kind words to Samantha, and we are happy to have her on our team.
If you would like to speak to me regarding any further aspects of your stay, or for any upcoming visit, I would love to hear from you.

Regards,
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I do not have high expectations when booking a Residence Inn. They aren't the Ritz. Ottawa doesn't have a Ritz which is unfortunate. What I did love was the location. I read the website and it indicated "All New Suites" and it had a Spa. I like the Marriott and Ritz Spas. When arriving at the hotel there is only room for two vehicles while you unload. The front desk was on the fourth floor. I can live without valet but a baggage cart would have been better than the five trips up two different elevators (they don't go to all floors). When arriving in the room (very spacious) I do the usual check for cleanliness and bed bugs. I didn't see bed bugs but the mattress was very old and yellow. The arms of the red sofa were black from filth and there were spills on the cushions. The rest was mediocre. I was not very comfortable. I went down to the spa to book a treatment. The spa is not part of the hotel and was closed on the Sunday and Monday of the long weekend (when someone travelling might want to use it). I went to the front desk with my IPad in hand asking them to show me the new rooms and suites. They were quite surprised and said there were no NEW rooms in the hotel. They did agree the website was very misleading. They did call around to different hotels which was quite nice of the. unfortunately it was a long weekend and everything was booked up. The food wasn't bad but they ran out very early. There were no utensils and I had to ask for a cloth to clean a table.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear BrendaM64795,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others regarding you stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa. I am very sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations, and consequently you did not enjoy your stay with us.

There are baggage carts available (it seems during your arrival they were all in use) and we try to have someone available in the 1st floor lobby and arrival area to ease this aspect of your stay. We are working hard to ensure that we make the 1st floor arrival and 4th floor lobby as easy as possible for our guests.

We advertise that the spa is onsite, but it is a retail vendor in the building which we reside in. They do provide great service and we will continue to promote that it is available, but we are unable to control their hours of operation.

I wish that your experience had been more like your expectations, and your feedback has been extremely valuable. I am truly sorry, and I wish you all the best. Please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to speak to me regarding this stay.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

The only drawback this place has is that the pool is a little chilly and you have to enter another building to get to it. I don't know what it is about Canada, but it was nearly impossible to find places with heated pools. Otherwise, this place was awesome! Our room was big and spacious. The full kitchen was a great thing, even though we didn't get to use it. The dinner reception is snack foods...cheese, crackers, dip, chips, veggies, fruit, and after they saw our huge family, the gracious staff offered to bring out some pizza for them. Everyone was very friendly. Breakfast was delicious, but as with most good places, it was pretty crowded. We didn't all get to sit together, but we enjoyed the food, and again the staff was very helpful and even offered to help our little ones carry things and reach things. The lcoation of this place was fantastic, as well. We toured Parliament and saw the changing of the guard the next morning, and it was only a short 2-3 block walk from this place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Douglas C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear collinsdd1225,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa, and sharing your experience with other travelers.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, and that our service staff were helpful throughout your visit. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to all the staff.

Should you need to discuss anything about your stay in further, or would like to discuss an upcoming visit, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Yours in hospitality,

613.231.2020
douglas.crosbie@marriot.com
Orange, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This hotel would receive a 5 from me, but there were problems with our reservation. Doug, the manager did everything he could to resolve the problem, but we still lost half a day in Ottawa. I was not able to visit Parliament. Parliament tickets are given out on a daily basis at 9 AM and go quickly. We had made plans for our second day and I was not able to get back in time to secure a ticket. The hotel paid for a one night stay at a Sheraton and also upgraded us to a two bedroom, two bathroom apartment for our other two nights and it was lovely. I knew we would need a laundry break in Ottawa and the Residence Inn has a laundry room with 3 washers and 4 dryers. Very convenient. Breakfast was good and location of the Residence Inns is perfect. The hotel is within walking distance of just about every attraction in Ottawa except the Museum of Civilization. I did not know much about Ottawa before the trip, but thoroughly enjoyed the city. I wish we had more time there. If you are commuting between the major Canadian cities, try the train (business class). I am so glad we did not mess with a car. Loved Ottawa, hotel is great, book the trip!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Douglas C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Hello JHROrange,
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback and advice from your recent visit to Ottawa.
I am happy that we were able to keep you comfortable after what was certainly a difficult situation for your arrival day. I am very sorry about the disruption, and I’m glad to see that you still enjoyed the city and your stay.
If you ever need anything for an upcoming visit to Ottawa, or wish to discuss your visit in further detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. It was truly a pleasure to have you at the Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa.
Kind Regards,
Douglas Crosbie – Guest Services Manager
613.231.2020 | douglas.crosbie@marriott.com

Been to Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa Downtown? Share your experiences!