“Great spot for lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Ottawa, Canada
“Great spot for lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Being a huge fan of Domus we bid on a gift certificate for lunch at Taylor's at a charity event. We were not disappointed. The food and service were excellent.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Orleans
“Great night out at Taylor's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Dropped into Taylor's and had a fabulous dinner. Started with an interesting and delicious charcutrie platter prepared by Martin and sipped on champagne while waiting for our party to arrive. We sat at the chef's table which gave us a great view of the chef and cooks preparing the meals. The waitress was fabulous in her explanation of the different menu items and ingredients. I had the pork belly with scallops, OMG so good! Everyone loved their meals and the relaxed ambiance of the restaurant made for a perfect evening for my colleagues who were visiting from Calgary.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ottawa
“Perfect food, but small quantities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Aside from the bread (which my fiancée loved but I didn't), I found the food to be interestingly and perfectly flavored.

Appetizer 5/5(3/5): Beef and goat cheese with onion tapas was delicious. -2 for value because it was 3 crackers in size and not a proper appetizer portion.

Entre 5/5: Arctic trout was both perfectly seared, but also paired exquisitely with fingerling potatoes, carrots, swiss chard and curried cauliflower.

Dessert: 5/5: Apple tart tasted rich and fresh made, with caramel and bacon(!) added along with a scoop of ice cream. A lovely finish.

Service: 4/5: We found the service to be very good, unlike many of the reviews prior. Always refilling water and bringing more bread. Only issues were some long waits.

The only real negatives were the atmosphere (chilly - though heat increased on request, and cramped) and some small portions for the price. All considered, we would definitely return!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ottawa
“Very good, not great, low end decor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Had a very good dinner last night, sat at the bar as there are not allot of tables and they were booked. We both had very nice salads and fish dishes (Arctic Char and Halibut), no complaints about the food, it was fine, not special though. The wine list a bit limited (and quite allot of it Canadian) for a place that has the word wine in its name.
My biggest complaint was with the decor, when at the bar you sit and stare at a rather junk filled counter top and chintzy looking shelves filled with dust collectors. My guess is that they are going for a friendly neighborhood look, But at the prices they ask, I'd expect a little more than the atmosphere that the view provided.

Toronto
“Ottawa's new star”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Taylor's is an Ottawa newcomer. But it has longtime local roots. Its owners also operate the downtown classic, Domus, which has been consistently serving some of the finest food in the nation's capital for years. Domus has been my favorite Ottawa eatery since the mid-1990s. And now there is Taylor's. A casual bistro with a short but excellent menu. I has the foie gras torchon appetizer and duck confit as my main. Both were excellent. My sister-in-law had the beet salad appetizer and the arctic char as her main. The arctic char was seared to perfection. We shared two excellent cheeses for dessert. An outstanding blue and a well aged cheddar. We shared a reasonably priced Cotes du Rhone which matched everything. Service was attentive but not obtrusive. I can't wait for my next trip to Ottawa so that I eat again at Taylor's. My apologies to Domus - though there's no doubt I will be back there too.

• Visited October 2012