“Sleep eludes us” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Les Suites Hotel Ottawa

You added Les Suites Hotel Ottawa to your Saves list
Les Suites Hotel Ottawa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   130 Besserer Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1N 9M9, Canada (Byward Market Area)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
HUGE Savings - 30% off
Ranked #17 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
northern new york
“Sleep eludes us”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

We have been bringing a group of family and friends to Les Suites for Ottawa's Winterlude celebration for many years. We love the convenience of the hotel. But, what we can't tolerate is the noise from a nearby bar that keeps us awake all night long. Is there no noise ordinance in Ottawa? The vibration from the music is so powerful I wonder if it will "bring the house down." Please, you (and your elected leaders) must do something about this. I recommend that you spend a Saturday night (and early Sunday morning) "trying to sleep" in one of your hotel rooms.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Blackcat64, General Manager at Les Suites Hotel Ottawa, responded to this review, April 15, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor voicing your concerns regarding the noise level from the nightclubs in the area. We work very closely with the authorities and we take every opportunity to keep our municipal councillors informed of the distress it causes our guests. Our staff are also trained to call the Ottawa By-law Services should they receive a guest complaint regarding noise levels and action is taken.

Please accept our sincere apologies. We pride ourselves in exceeding guest expectations. In this case, it is obvious we did not attain this goal. Once again, our sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused during your stay. When you next make your reservations, please ask the reservationist to place you in a suite facing the inside courtyard. We look forward to hosting you on your next visit to Ottawa.

Steve Georgopoulos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Canadian Prairies
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

Recently stayed for two nights on a business trip to Ottawa. I loved the location of Les Suites...within walking distance to attractions such as the National Gallery, Parliament Hill, the Mint, and shopping at Rideau Centre and the Byward Market.

The staff went out of their way to help me when my reservation got messed up and I arrived late at night without a room.

My room was clean and spacious. I loved having a sitting room and separate bedroom. I didn't use the washer/dryer or kitchen on this short stay. I was amazed at how quiet the hotel was.

I would definitely bring my family back to stay here!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Grande Prairie
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

The staff was friendly and the suite was clean and very spacious. My suite was quiet and the location is convenient if you want / need to be close to downtown Ottawa. The general manager, Steve, and the head of housekeeping, Estelle, gave my colleagues and me each a very thoughtful card. The sentiment was appreciated. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Ottawa, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2009

I had to stay in this hotel for many weeks due to water problems at my house.

Suites:
I stayed in two different types of 2-bedroom suites. They were both very large and clean. Of the suites even had a walk-in closet and two bathrooms. There's also a laundry room and a sofa bed, two Tv's and a balcony. You can get a view on the City, or a suite that faces the patio. I recommand facing the City (The Byward Market).

Location:
Right in Downtown Ottawa, near all buses, beside the Byward Market, Rideau Centre, Rideau Canal, a few blocks to Parliament Hill. Almost every clubs at a walking distance, douzain of restaurants at a walking distance and a 24hr grocerie store at a 5 minute walk.

Kitchen:
You get a complete kitchen with each suites and they are supposed to be fully furnised. You get the basic and the varies from one place to another. I had to buy a few things to the kitchen in order to make it work for me(mash potato handler, cookie sheet) but if you're only staying a few days, it shouldn't be a problem for you.

Gym, etc:
The gym is small but it has everything you need for cardio and basic, small weight training. There is even a water cooler and a TV in there. The towels are provided on-site for the pool, the sauna and the hot tub. There was some problems with the heater int he hot tub back in June/July. Hopefully this has been taken care of. The terrace is accessible to all. You need to ask the Front desk for the door code to access it. I've been a few times to tan there.

Room service:
Room service is provided by Presse Café downstairs and offers a good variety but is totally overpriced. A simple one-topping pizza will cost you 30$, a poutine, 12$... and the quality is not that great. I would suggest you call a local pizza place, such as GABRIEL'S PIZZA and go pick it up (2 minute walk) or have them deliver it to you at no fee... Much cheaper and better quality.

Room Cleaning:
The maid came whenever we put our door sign for it. She always did a good job and also took care of the dishes for us one the days where we just did not have time to pur our dishes in the dishwasher.

Front Desk:
There is a lineup if you go at a busy time, but the staff is professional and most of the time, bilingual (french + english)

Overall, This is a really nice place to stay at with you're traveling with another couple (you can get two different rooms but share the kitchen, living room, balcony, etc.), if you're staying in town town for awhile or if you're with a family and want to save on the restaurant, this is great for you.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Blackcat64, General Manager at Les Suites Hotel Ottawa, responded to this review, January 15, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment extensively regarding your recent long-term stay at Les Suites Hotel, Ottawa. One of our goals is to exceed our guests’ expectations and many of your comments have let us know that we are on the right track. I am, however, disappointed that you did not receive a cookie sheet and some of our other special attentions for our long-term guests’ stay. We also note that with our concession operator, Presse Café you had poor comments. We have forwarded your comments to them for their immediate action. If you would like to express your comments further, I would be pleased to speak with you. Please call me at our toll-free number 1-800-267-1989 or send an email at steve.georgopoulos@whg.com. Once again, thank you for your kind words and we look forward to hosting you again.

Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

Stayed here for a hockey tournament with my sons team. The place is clean but we found our suite very dated with very old appliances and mattresses. Bathroom was fine though.

Every worked, it was just tired and it needs a renovation/update.

• Liked — Large suite, location
  • Disliked — Suite needs updating, parking difficult to get in and out.
  • Stayed December 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Blackcat64, General Manager at Les Suites Hotel Ottawa, responded to this review, January 8, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your recent stay at Les Suites Hotel, Ottawa. Our goal is to exceed guest expectations and it is obvious that we did not meet our standards with regards to satisfying you with our Traditional Suite. Please rest assured that this is certainly not a Les Suites standard. The Hotel began its first series of Premiere Suite Floors in 2006 and is continuing again this Winter with this product. Thank you for your comments about the standard of cleanliness. We have passed on your kind comments to our Housekeeping Team.

Thank you for your patronage and we look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Milton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2008

We Paid $149 for a two bedroom suite for two nights (Nov. 14-16, 08) through Expedia. Was impressed with the lobby, then found out the room is tired and dated, the kitchen appliances (fridge, stove, DW) are about 20 years old, same with the matresses, old and firm. The only thing I liked was the free wi-fi internet in the room. The gym and pool (indoors, shared with Novotel guests) looked okay but we didn't try it. Location is fine, a block away from Byward and 5 blocks from Parliament, A 24-hour supermarket is 2 blocks northwest for basic necessities. Hotel service is so-so, our friend requested a 6am wake-up call and they totally missed it!

I am planning on going back to Ottawa next year but definitely won't be back to this hotel unless they renovate the suites. Changing the beds to newer pillowtops would be a nice start.

Stayed November 2008
blackcat_ottawa, General Manager at Les Suites Hotel Ottawa, responded to this review, December 22, 2008
Dear Guest,

Please accept my sincere apologies. Our goal is to exceed guest expectations and it is obvious that we did not meet our standards with regards to satisfying you with our Traditional Suite. Please rest assured that this is certainly not a Les Suites standard. The Hotel began its first series of floor-by-floor renovations in 2006 which are continuing this winter and we would have been pleased to accommodate you in one of our Premiere Suite products.

Montreal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

If you want to sleep at night don't come here. It's like you're sleeping directly on the highway. I thought by definition a hotel was suppose to be quiet with insolated soundproof windows. I guess here they don't have the money to pay to have proper windows installed. I didn't sleep all night. Is it normal when you're on the eight floor of a hotel to be waken up in the middle of the night by people talking on the sidewalk???? There are vans driving by every minute. It's AWFUL! Plus I can't believe the price of this place. I'm here on business and my employer is paying for the room and that's great because I would never pay this much for this. When I arrived I was put in a different room that was old and was on an inside courtyard with a patio door that wasn't even closing properly so I asked to be moved right away. That room was 141$ a night. They agreed to send me to the eight floor but not before telling me that this was an upgrade and that it was usually 50$ extra a night. The room is very nice and new but the cheap windows and the noise ruin everything. I won't be coming back here. This is a rip off and they should be ashamed. Like other people said, they need to renovate and update their rooms and WINDOWS!!!!

• Liked — The kitchen
  • Disliked — The noise really bad windows feels like they are open all the time
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Blackcat64, General Manager at Les Suites Hotel Ottawa, responded to this review, October 24, 2008
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at Les Suites Hotel, Ottawa.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused during your stay due to the downtown traffic noise. Our goal is to exceed guest expectations and it is evident through your well-founded comments that we did not meet them.

For guests who are light sleepers, we always suggest that when you are making your reservation, you request the Reservations Agent to assign you a suite on the inside court to minimize any type of noise intrusion. We will also retrain our staff to ensure that the windows are tightly closed as this makes a tremendous difference. We are pleased that you enjoyed your upgrade to one of our Premiere Suite products.

We hope you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves and we look forward to hosting you again in the near future on your next visit to our Nation’s Capital.

Steve Georgopoulos

Been to Les Suites Hotel Ottawa? Share your experiences!