“Horrible noise!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Davie, Florida
“Horrible noise!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Check in was fine and the room was what I had expected for the price. Old but at least clean. Came to Ottawa on vacation. Staff was friendly. The first morning the construction began at 6:30am outside our window. Not just some construction , but jack hammering. We left for the day and when we came back at 3:30 they were still at it and we could not rest. Called to change rooms. The staff was very nice and commented that I my room is directly over the construction and they knew this was an issue. I asked if they knew this was an issue why they would put us in that room. We were told they would take $50 off per night. Then changed us to the 'executive suite' on the 10th floor. Very spacious and unpacked once again. At about 7:30pm heard a very loud humming noise. We actually thought it was an alarm. When we called the front desk we were told it was probably the air conditioning. Maintenance came up shortly afterwards to confirm that our room was right underneath the a/c unit and the noise would go away shortly. The noise subsided for about an hour and then came on again for the rest of the night. I went downstairs at 1:30am to see about changing rooms. The person at the desk told me he knows how terrible the noise is in that room (1009). He would give me another room, but we would need to pack up all of our stuff and move. My daughter was exhausted , we had groceries in the kitchen, clothes put away and they would not let us just sleep in another room without packing up all of our belongings.

Staff was trying to be very helpful. However, since the knew both rooms they gave us had terrible noise issues, why would they put customers in those rooms and not expect complaints???

Room Tip: Do not stay on the 10th or 11 th floors
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Management must think their guests are fools. As a hotel, if you decide to undergo construction, at least have the decency to start work at a reasonable hour so as to least offend your guests. These clowns lack that decency. 7am!! Jack hammers shaking the foundation for hours on end. The good news though, is that there many other wonderful options in Ottawa. I also can't say enough about how fantastic this city is. Truly amazing! Just enjoy it from a different hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
at sea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

the embassy suites hotel is a decent but tired hotel close to downtown Ottawa. rooms are large and reasonably comfortable, most with complete kitchens. Bathrooms are small and cramped, but adequate. room prices will have to be negotiated dependent on length of stay and room type. Essentially a place to sleep and rest. Rooms are clean and housekeeping is done well.

basically a place to stay, but not a place to consider as part of your holiday....its not a resort hotel.

Parliament buildings, museums, Byward market, Sparks street mall and the Rideau Canal are all only a few hundred metres from the property. so a good place to stay if you have trouble walking.

would I stay again....yes

Room Tip: Dont worry about balconies...ours was so dirty, it could not be used to sit out.....ask for a room o...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Although my trip was only overnight it could easily have been as enjoyable for a week, why? This building is obviously a previous condominium apartment building so each room has a fully operational kitchen etc. It is situated beside the Ottawa City Hall and within walking distance (approx. 10 - 15 minutes) of the national parliament buildings and many other interesting areas. Although the hotel has a cafe and a restaurant they serve only Monday to Fridays. There is however a wonderful Italian restaurant (Dantessa) just across the road that will fill all your food needs is you don't want to feed yourself. Staff are friendly and the rooms are well kept. Having read other reviews, yes it is not the Hilton but there again neither are the prices! I will go back.

Room Tip: Most rooms have a balcony, it is on the edge of a residential neighbourhood, my room was facing sout...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Sudbury, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on two occasions with groups.. Mar 2012 and Apr 2013

I go to Ottawa for a NHL hockey game and enjoy the city..
I realize it is not a Hilton or 4 Star so I'm realistic about it..
Hotel is clean, yes older, but clean, they do their best..We have never had a problem with cleanliness or bugs. The staff is good, they will get you another room if you require to change..
The rates are awesome.With large spacious rooms..big bedrooms, comfortable beds living area, kitchen, small bath rooms though. The heat has been fine in winter.The breakfasts downstairs are quite good. I agree that neighborhood is not the best but that also applies to all other downtown hotels.
Many from my group go downtown to neighborhood restaurants/bars after the game after 11 pm, never a problem or complaint..
If you are in Ottawa for a number of days this hotel will be fine for you.
When I stay I book many rooms per night.. everyone leaves satisfied..
I was just wanting to set the record straight from my perspective..

Room Tip: Request a suite, you will pay just a bit more but have a huge "apartment"
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dexter, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I had this hotel booked by my travel agency and assumed it was a Hilton Embassy Suites as they did not say otherwise. When I got there it was not in the best part of Ottawa and it was an old, somewhat run-down property. It is not at all like a Hilton Embassy Suites. There is no air conditioning in the rooms and we were on the 8th floor. The best you can do is turn off the heat and open the windows. I am booked for two nights but tomorrow morning and I calling my travel agency and plan to get out of here and into a real hotel. We also went to the bar in the hotel and the smell was really awful - it smelled like a combination of fish and curry

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

This is a slum. When we called to book we asked if this was like other Embassy Suites (Niagara Falls in particiular). We were told it was but it ISN't! Shame on Embassy Suites corporate for allowing this roach motel to tarnish their brand. The only good thing that came out of our visit was they let us cancel our two night stay in the $165/night executive suite as soon as we saw the place. Thank God for the Westin!!!!

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Embassy Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!