“One of the best hotels of our Cosmos tour” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Capital Hill Hotel & Suites

Save Saved
You added Capital Hill Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Capital Hill Hotel & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   88 rue Albert Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5E9, Canada (Byward Market Area)   |
Ranked #47 of 67 hotels in Ottawa
Auckland
“One of the best hotels of our Cosmos tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

This hotel is in a great location, within a walking distance to the Parliament and city centre. We stayed there for 2 nights as a part of Cosmos tour. The room was very big and the double beds were huge.
There was a coffee table in the room, sofa and we also had a balcony overlooking Albert street. There was a bus stop just across the street from the hotel. The Ottawa markets and the nearest supermarket is about 20 min. walk. The only thing missing in the room was a fridge.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

360 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

They upgraded our room because we complained of cleanliness. The rooms and the entire hotel needs a massive facelift, and air freshener. Good price, for an extra 20$ a night my wife and I would have stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013
London, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

so I had to stay here for a week in August as I was working in the vicinity.

When I got to this place it was easy to find. On a major street which was perfect.

Here is the low down....

Service: Greeted by 2 guys who knew everything about the city and were very pleasant. We wanted to grab a good bite and they told us to walk to the Market. We Loved the Market! In fact we ate there every night. Lots to choose from there. The staff member also provided a map so we could easily find where we were going. While there for the week they were always polite and they held my bags for a few hours because I had to catch a flight later in the day.

Value: The value gets an average score because my company paid for the hotel lol.

Sleep Quality: One thing that is very important to me is the air conditioning in the room. This helps me sleep. The air conditioning unit was very old but worked quite well. The bed and pillows on the other hand could use some updating. Not the best and not the worst.

Cleanliness: This gets an average score. We did have clothes all over the place but I've seen housekeepers do a better job maintaining a room.

Location: The location of this hotel is the best part about the hotel. IT IS CLOSE TO EVERYTHING!!! 2 blocks from Parliament Hill, walking distance to Rideau Canal, the Market and the Museums.

Rooms: The rooms are older but so is the hotel so I don't count that as a bad thing. Major renos are needed on the bathrooms. I would suggest making them larger if possible. Water pressure in the shower is adequate at best. It seems every hotel these days throws a new TV in to make it look good. This hotel is no exception. You have a new TV. You do get free internet in the hotel but this internet is slow and a higher speed would make a difference.

Elevator: YES I have a section called " Elevator ". This is the slowest and most crammed elevator I've ever been in. If you want to have fun at this hotel and have a senior with you I have a game for you. You go in the elevator and press 5. You then ask the senior to climb the stairs and hit the 5th floor. Whoever gets there first will win. I would pick the senior because I want to demonstrate how slow the elevator is. One night, we stayed for the parliament light show then headed back to the hotel. When we got to the hotel there was about 20 people waiting for the elevator so we took the stairs.

Overall, I would stay at this hotel again because a) I can live with the faults and b) I love the location. With this being said, if this hotel was anywhere else, I would not stay here.

Have a great day and Happy Travelling :)

Room Tip: if you want a good room. Ask for a good room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Bow, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The suite was very reasonably priced and close to Parliament Hill and the Byway Market area. The room was nice but could use some updating. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. All in all, I would recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

If part of your Ottawa tourist experience is to enjoy lounging around in the hotel, then this is not the place for you. If you are looking for an affordable,convenient location minutes from Parliament Hill, then this is a very good choice.

The rooms are dated and in need of some general TLC. However, the beds were comfortable, the shower was good, the room seemed to be clean and the staff helpful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed in the hotel last night. It is very tired and the decor is awful, but I had a good night sleep. On entering the hotel, you are met with a musty smell which gets worse as you venture into the corridors upstairs!!! Thankfully the room was rather fresher!!
In the morning, it took me 20 minutes to get from floor 5 to reception to check out as only one lift was working. We asked the receptionist when the lift would be working...she responded that they were transporting carpet!!! No apology or empathy! Next time I visit Ottawa, I will treat myself to a higher star rating hotel!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
dundee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We were based in Hamilton but took our third trip to Ottawa this is the third hotel we have stayed in in this city. The last time was the Lord Elgin with family including 1 3 year old. On the whole this hotel provided a better experience. The place is tired and decor dated but rooms were clean beds were comfortable and shower worked. Location is great (who wants to spend time in a hotel room anyway) and staff helpful. In comparison to the Lord Elgin which I also thought was dated I feel it is value for money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Capital Hill Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!