“Great GetAway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Ottawa On The Rideau

You added Ramada Ottawa On The Rideau to your Saves list
Ramada Ottawa On The Rideau
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2259 Prince of Wales Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K2E 6Z8, Canada (Formerly The Monterey Hotel)   |
Ranked #38 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
“Great GetAway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

We have stayed here 3 times and will be going back again. Rooms are very large, clean, and all remodeled. The bathroom is very nice with a shower and jet tube. Bed was king sizes with a variety of pillows to meet your need to sleep. Large flat screen tv across from the bed so you can relax an watch . Room also has all you need from working area to relaxing. The deck in the back of the room sits you in the partly sunny area overlooking the canal," very relaxing". The Hotel is located just out of town that gives you a little peace, but it is also not to far from any where you want to go and visit. IF you want food, they have room service, and I will give the chief 5 stars.The food was very good, it meet both of my standards quality and quantity.
The Hotel Restaurant was going under remodeling our last trip and will be reopening again on our next trip back. Ooo there is plenty more to enjoy while you are there, and we will be enjoying some of the following next time, gym,hot tube, steam room, boating...
Cant wait to go back again :)

Room Tip: I enjoyed the rooms nestled in the back by the trees over looking the canal.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

EmilyVerana, Manager at Ramada Ottawa On The Rideau, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Mr. Eric,

What a great compliment. Your words of commendation are superb. All team members of the Monterey hotel feels very overwhelm on your review. You let us feel that we are doing a great job and we will continue to serve the best and strive more to meet our guest satisfaction.

As you mentioned on your review, you are still planning to go back in our property, we want you to know that it is our previledge to serve you.

Please allow me to extend my deepest "THANK YOU" for sharing your experienced at The Monterey Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back.

The Monterey Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Petawawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed for the Valentines Day weekend. I chose this hotel because it was a good price and away from downtown Ottawa while still being within reasonable driving distance. My plan was to avoid the people and traffic that would be around downtown and the canal and have dinner around the airport. Unfortunately our plans changed and we ended up having to drive back and forth to the downtown a few times which ended up being a lot of time, driving, and money for parking. I would not suggest this hotel's location if you are planning on going downtown a lot; you may be better off spending more money on a hotel right in the downtown area.

Upon arriving, the woman at the front desk was very friendly and helpful in explaining the layout of the hotel grounds.

Our room had 1 queen bed and a pull-out couch, was newly renovated with hardwood floors, all new furniture, minifridge and a balcony facing the river.

The hotel is under a flight path so there is some noise, but nothing that bothered me. It is also very quiet for being so close to a main road.

Continental breakfast is only served in the main building. We didn't bother going because we were in the building furthest away from the main building, and there was a Tim Hortons directly in front of our room (see photo).

There was a restaurant on site called 'The Pine Restaurant' that I would have loved to try, but it is undergoing renovations until May 2014 and is closed until then.

My only complaint is that the hotel advertised a hot tub and sauna (a huge factor when I pick hotels) and I had even called the day before we stayed to confirm that they had them AND that they were working. I guess they were when I called, but by the time I got there, the area was closed due to over chlorination or something. *Le sigh*. I think I might just be destined to never use a hotel sauna, because that seems to happen more often than not.

Other then the sauna thing, I have no complaints and I would love to stay at the hotel again in the summer for the balcony view and to try the Pine Restaurant.

I DID NOT take the photo of the room, but that is exactly how our room looked.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river for a great view. I asked for a renovated room and was told they had...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
EmilyVerana, Manager at Ramada Ottawa On The Rideau, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing The Monterey Hotel.

We are happy to to know that you acknowledge our friendly, helpful staff at the desk and the renovated rooms with a gorgeous view from your balcony.

As you have indicated in your review, our restaurant is under renovation but it will be open this coming May. I am inviting you to come back to our property on May onwards to see the changes in our restaurant renovation. It will be a restaurant to look for, it is going to be an upscale, cozy and modern restaurant.

I apologized that our hot tub was not available due to chlorine issue for safety purposes. We are doing our best to serve you the best and to ensure each and every guest has a memorable experience.

Once again, I appreciate your comments and look forward to serve you again in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

We stayed at this freshly and beautifully renovated property just one night in October, 2013. Our third floor room had a balcony over a wooded creek which gave us the most relaxing, pleasant sound one could ever hear. The room's modern, crisp renovation included many green aspects (triple patio doors, hardwood floors, energy-saving lighting, low-slow showerheads) while maintaining a real luxury feel. A wonderful breakfast is included!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the creek.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to share your wonderful experience at The Monterey Hotel. It is a great compliment. We appreciate your review and thank you for choosing The Monterey Hotel. Hope to serve you again in the future.

Iqaluit, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I stayed at the Monterey Hotel on Feb 14, 2014 during a stop over in Ottawa. Thank God it was just for one night!

First off, that complimentary airport shuttle, goodluck! I arrived at the airport and after getting my bags, began calling the hotel. It took me 20 mins to even get through, as no one was answering at the other end. Eventually someone answered, and told me they would contact their driver and call me back in 2 minutes. I waited...and waited...20 mins later, still no call. I tried calling again...once again no answer. After waiting for about 45 mins in total I decided to get a taxi. The hotel called me back as I was pulling into the hotel parking lot. They didn't even care, giggled and said 'oh that's too bad'. You would think they would upgrade my room, or do something, but no sir.

Next I wanted to set up my shuttle ride back to the airport for 6:30am...apparently the shuttle doesn't run at this hour! Maybe it should be advertised that its a shuttle at restricted hours. Again another $25 cab ride. Also...my room was on the second floor with 2 sets of stairs...in which I had to lug my 2 $75 lb suitcases down over (I was travelling from the Arctic). Would have been nice to have an elevator or even some assistance.

After a very long day of travelling I was hungry and wanted to get some food. No food services!! There restaurant was under renos....also not notified when I booked through Travelocity. Instead of an apology...I got 'Tim Hortons is a 15 min walk away if you are hungry'. This was at 10:30pm...so frustrated. I decided to go to my room and look up some fast food delivery places in the phone book. Got to the room (which surprisingly was actually nice...minus the horribly outdated bathroom) and there was no phone book or anything. I didn't even have the number for the front desk and 0 wasn't working to dial reception on the phone. Eventually when I figured it out (I had to dial 9) they sent someone with some fast food menus for the local area to my room. Of the 5 they gave me....not one single place delivered to the area!!! I got on the phone with a friend who google searched some things for me and eventually got food about 1.5 hrs later.

Overall just a horrible experience! For the extra $75 I spent on cabs and delivery...I could have stayed at a much nicer place. Lesson learned and mistake will not be repeated!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

The best way to describe this place is, looks like a large Motel outside, inside looks like a brand new modern Hotel, with a backyard that could easily be a resort.

Very nicely renovated inside, if they keep going I'm sure this will be a place with potential met soon.

Nice quite location not too far from downtown attractions.

Room Tip: You won't have to worry about any hidden parking fees here like at the downtown motels, good way...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Gorrie, Ont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

We had stayed downtown Ottawa in an old motel but on our last night in Ottawa I wanted something a little more upscale. The Monterey was just perfect. Our room overlooked the Rideau and it was peaceful, nicely appointed, squeaky clean and comfy. The restaurant on the property had enormous breakfast on the menu, we overslept for the continental. I suggest putting something on the menu for gluten, egg and dairy free diners, but well, you can't have. everything.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Stayed here for its closeness to the airport but it was just wonderful and elegant. Booked online and no hassles checking in or out. The room was recently renovated and had a wonderful view of the frozen river. Cant wait to go again!!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Ramada Ottawa On The Rideau? Share your experiences!