“Refurbished Hotel Falls Short Overall” 3 of 5 stars

WelcomINNS
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1220 Michael Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1J 7T1, Canada   |
Ranked #40 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Montreal, Canada
“Refurbished Hotel Falls Short Overall”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Having heard that this hotel got a facelift, I decided to give it a try for a recent trip to Ottawa.

The hotel is located off of St Laurent Blvd, right next to a large shopping mall and a variety of restaurants. By car, it is a 5-10 minute drive to get downtown. They have a shuttle that I did not use, but was available if needed. There is adequate outdoor parking.

The check-in process was smooth and the lobby was somewhat on the smaller side. This would factor greatly regarding breakfast the next morning, which I will come back to.

The room itself was refurbished as promised and was appointed with decent decor. The bed and linens were fine, and the bathroom clean and was a good size. My room oddly had a leftover from the old layout - an old stand alone sink but without any towel rack etc. There was a sink and counter in the bathroom, so this old "extra" sink was an odd holdover. The room also had a mini fridge and a flat screen tv, both of which worked well. The room was soundproofed enough, I didn't hear anyone overnight.

The breakfast the next morning was frankly a disaster. As noted above, the lobby was very small and it doubled in the morning for the breakfast food layout and eating area. If only 5 people or so arrived downstairs before you, there was nowhere to sit. Given the large number of rooms in this hotel, this was grossly inadequate. As for the "full & hot" breakfast itself, the offerings were cold cereal, a waffle maker and poor quality muffins & breads that would easily be found at a rural gas station "convenience" section, if you catch my drift. If there were fruit, yogurt or anything "hot" other than waffles (like hot eggs, breakfast meat, pancake? Anything?) then they were successfully hidden. I ended up grabbing a hot beverage and got breakfast elsewhere, costing me time I hadn't budgeted to use that morning, in addition to extra expense.

The "gym" seen on the website was in reality a treadmill and an ancient weight machine in a tiny room in the basement.

Unless you are looking for a hotel to solely get a decent night's sleep in a clean room at a reasonable rate, without any of the usual amenities or breakfast, your expectations will likely fall short.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
WelcomINNS, General Manager at WelcomINNS, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Dear TravellingTFP,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review, your feedback is much appreciated. We are committed to providing comfort, quality, and convenience at an affordable price and it is a pleasure to know that you appreciated the comfort and décor of your room and the good service you received. However, it disappoints me to know that your stay fell short of your expectations.

I do apologize for your negative experience at breakfast time and for the miscommunication. It is unfortunate that you were lead to believe you would receive a “full & hot” breakfast, because what we provide is a basic continental breakfast. As for the small eating space, we are aware that the seats occasionally fill up, which is why we provide trays for guests to bring their food up to their own rooms. Unfortunately, given the layout of the building, there is nowhere else where we could host the breakfast. As such, we have tried to make the best of the situation by providing trays at the breakfast station and a dining set in each guest room.

Given our limited space, we cannot increase the size of our fitness area, but we still want to offer each guest the convenience of a small gym. Because we know some guests prefer a larger gym with more variety, we offer free day passes to the gym located across the street in St. Laurent Shopping Centre to all guests who ask for them. Should you return to the Ottawa area and revisit our hotel, one of our front desk representatives would be more than happy to provide you with a gym pass upon request. If you would like to discuss your stay in more detail, please contact me directly at sales@welcominns.com at any time. On behalf of the WelcomINNS Hotel Ottawa team, we hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
North Bay, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed overnight in a room with two double beds. It was clean but a little dated. Older model TV with a fair channel selection and the bathroom fixtures are showing their age.

Bake-your-own waffles, cereal, muffins, hard boiled eggs, toast for breakfast which was quite good.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear North9ON,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are pleased to hear that you were impressed by the hotel's cleanliness and that you enjoyed our continental breakfast. We are in the midst of replacing all of our older TVs with LCD TVs to keep our rooms up to date.

We hope to see you back in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We often stay here when we visit our daughter in Ottawa. It is reasonable, convenient and very clean. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are a good size and the beds are comfortable. Breakfast is plain (like at home) but the lady in charge keeps the area well stocked and clean. It is as quiet as any other hotel we have been in even though it is in a busy area. We will come back again.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms we have had over the last few years have been great.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Deanna E,

Thank you kindly for your wonderful review. I am pleased to hear that you continue to have such great visits at our hotel. It is great to know that you have chosen the WelcomINNS Ottawa as your home away from home while visiting your daughter. I thank you for your business and look very forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to Ottawa.

Warm regards,

Ingersoll
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed at this hotel once before but only for a night but this time I tried it for five nights. I was in a ground floor room, which allowed entry and exit directly to the outside as well as into the room. The room was very clean, quiet and had great amenities - free wifi, 27" (or maybe larger) flat screen TV, small refrigerator, coffee maker and microwave. I'm not a great sleeper, but the bed was very comfortable so I slept better than usual. The hotel is located very close to St. Laurent shopping centre, Perkins Restaurant and a number of other businesses and eateries. The continental breakfast is good but it's location in the lobby and the limited seating for a hotel this size should be improved. I was only able to get breakfast 2 out of 5 mornings due to the numbers of people. Like many other hotels it would be prudent to have an assigned main floor room for the breakfast area. This would also be less of a bother for guests checking out. The staff was pleasant, helpful and knowledgeable.

Room Tip: The Queensway (highway) is on the south side of the building so there may be some traffic noise. My...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
WelcomINNS, General Manager at WelcomINNS, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Valued guest, thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor after your recent stay on November 13th, 2012 to the WelcomINNS Ottawa. I would like to invite you to return; and if so receive a 15% discount.
We truly appreciate your feedback and comments.

Thank you again.

Wade Kirkpatrick
Elliot Lake, On, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times in Ottawa. It is very clean and they have very good rates. It is also close to anything you want to do as it is right on the 417 so you can get East or West or Downtown in minutes. It is a great value and has a great location. I will be staying there again when I go back to Ottawa.

Room Tip: I have not stayed at a bad room in the hotel they are all good
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Glenn B,

Thank you for your review - I will be sure to share the kind words with the rest of our staff. I am delighted to hear that we consistently meet your requests and expectations. Please know that we truly value your continued business and we look very forward to seeing you again in the future.

Best Regards,

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The hotel itself was an older building but it was kept clean and the location is great. It is located right across the road from a mall, transit centre, grocery stores, and quite a few restaurants. The staff were very friendly and helpful and there was ample parking.

The big downside to the hotel was the uncomfortable beds and non-exsistent wi fi. Also I was very nervous in the elevators as they were past due on their inspections and the doors would open before the elevator had stopped. The hotel definitely needs a reno.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
East Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

'Ana' made check-in smooth and quick. WelcomINNs is a seven story facility. I had doults how long the hot water would take for the shower, just 5-6 seconds being on the seventh floor. A shower/tub combo. On one end of shower is a 36" long shelf, much space for soap dish, shampoo & body lotion.

Over all, the room was very clean. One maid told me the carpet is vacuumed every day. The queen bed very firm. Room furishings include: 2 low back cushion chairs, floor lamp, writing desk with lamp, also a swivel rocker chair on wheels. A four drawer chest. A mico/fridge, which I had to request. This facility is 100 % smoke free, room had no smoke odor from previous guest. Any person was smoking outside.

The bathroom has a wall to wall sink counter. Coffer maker, hair dryer. Plenty of towels, which I found to be on the scratchy side, I brought my own big fluffy towel. The facility's shampoo is quite good.

My room had no closet, but a wall mounted rack with six wooden hangetrs. Luggage rack & iron & board. A wall mounted wide screen tv with 70 plus channels, with a few in French..One channel was from Detriot.

The lobby & braekfast are one area. Breakfast consist of three dry cereals, orange/apple juice, coffee,. Four different muffins, bread for toasting. Only three tables, with four chairs each, also a small glass table, two chairs. I was told that a guest is permitted to take their breakfast up to their room if area is filled. Breakfast starts at 6:00.

The nearest restaurant is the Lone Star Texas Grill, serving Texas/Mexican menus. The Lone Star's parking lot is next to WelcomINNs' lot. Within a 14-15 minute walk is a Perkins Family Restaurant at the corner of St. Laurent & Conventy Road. The St. Laurent Shopping Center is a 7-8 minute walk. Hyw. 417 is only 3-4 minutes away.

WelcomINNs is located in the eastern part of Ottawa. Ana told me she seen no crime in her five year, on that note I felt safe & my vehicle's safety. The hotel's parking lot is good size. However the parking spaces have just enough room for a vehicle. I did notice that six motor cyclist were able to park all six cycles in one space.

All light bulbs are energym efficent.,If a guest is reading or writingm at night, they won't have the light oif a 60 or 70 watt bulnb. If I were to stay again, I would bring two 60/70 bulbs.

The location, St. Laurent Shopping Center & Lone Star Texas Grill would invite me back again.

Jack L., Syracuse, New York.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Jack L,

Thank you for your detailed review - I will be sure to share your kind words with the rest of our team! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you are likely to return in the future. We hope to see you again soon.

Been to WelcomINNS? Share your experiences!