“Extreme disappointment with not honoring our confirmed reservations made months in advance” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Hotel Ottawa Parliament Hill

A Getaway for 2
Ranked #35 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Timmins, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I am a frequent traveler throughout Ontario and have traveled extensively throughout Canada. While in Toronto I stayed at the Radisson suites on Dixon Rd., Stayed at the Radisson in Sudbury and the these both locations provided excellent service. The room I reserved was exactly what I had requested and also provided confirmation By e-mail with the cost and tax of the room with no hidden fees. I was a satisfied customer and would always book at these two locations when on business in Toronto and Sudbury. I was a frequent guest of the Radisson and I became a privileged Carlson club member over the years.

Over 3 months ago I booked at the Radisson on Parliament Hill in Ottawa for 3 nights to attend a wedding. I booked two rooms with two queen size rooms for 2 adults in each room. I received written confirmation for both rooms confirming two rooms with 2 queen size beds. When we arrived on August 9th, we were greeted by a young man who was polite and gave us our keys and off we went to our rooms only to find two double beds, not Queen size beds, we had no view whatsoever, the window was dirty, scaffold and queen mesh tarp covering the room with absolutely no view. The room was clean, the beds were hard and the controls were not functioning at all. I called the front desk wanting to know why we got double beds instead of queen beds in both rooms and the young man said that it was showing as queen beds in both rooms on his computer. I told him that we have queen beds at home and I did not care what his computer was showing that it was double beds and I told him to come and check for himself. He came to both rooms and said, yes, looks like double beds, then said, " you still got the rooms for a good price", I relied, " you're missing the point, the reservation was made months ago and confirmed in writing 2 rooms with 2queen size beds" and it cost me 60,000 points plus over $730.00 for the two rooms. There was no mention that my reservations would not be guaranteed, in fact it was guaranteed in writing. It was an insult that he was trying to justify why we were not given what had been promised instead of being honest and tell the truth that they screwed up. He then said he would try to get two rooms but then offered a room with a one queen bed which was more insulting since two adults were to be in each room and by then I was totally exhausted from a long day of traveling and told him to never mind but that I would not let this go and I wanted to get back some of the 60,000 points plus cash that I was charged because they did not honor their commitment. He then gave me the story that the manager would not be in until the Monday knowing full well we were leaving on the Monday?
The next thing he did was call our room and offer two free breakfast keep in mind we were four adults, two in each room which was another insult. To add more insult when checking out on August 12th , I was charged an extra 3-% for destination marketing fees that was never disclosed on the written confirmation and I had never heard of this extra charge before today. On the written confirmation, it shows the cost of each rooms for three nights plus 13% tax and under other charges it shows $0.00. At check out a charge of $9.18 for one room and $9.56 for the other room on and above the hotel rate and tax. Very disappointed in this hotel's conduct and treatment. They can dress it up as much as they want on line but beware and careful when booking. This is my first bad experience and will be the last one I can assure you. Sad but true.
L. Lapierre

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Carlson Hotels C, Corporate Customer Care at Radisson Hotel Ottawa Parliament Hill, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Mrs. Lapierre,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and tell us about your experience. We sincerely apologize about the room’s issues you experimented and overall that we were not able to meet your expectations. We highly value our Club members but strive to provide the best hospitality service to all our guests and we will take your constructive comments in consideration. Please contact our corporate office directly and we can speak further about your stay.

Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights and the overall experience was good. The Hotel gives complimentary Wifi-, Parking is 18 a night but in general parking is expensive in the city. This Hotel is about a 15-20 minute walk to Parliament Hill. Great Location and the Hotel was super. Would go back again!

Room Tip: We booked a double queen room - So make sure you call them after reserving online. They are going t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
KADOttawa, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Ottawa Parliament Hill, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear Sean N,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with our hotel. Our team is delighted that you would recommend us and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay!

Warm Regards

Kristine Dempster
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Our stay at this hotel was great to walk to parliament hill and along sparks street. With plenty of shops and restaurants within a close distance, we were not left without choices. The room was clean and the bed was comfy.

• Stayed July 2013
Darryll H, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Ottawa Parliament Hill, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your excellent review! As you indicated, our location is fabulous – a five-minute walk to shopping, restaurants, attractions and more. Again Thank you for your kind review and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Thornhill, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was worried about staying at the Radisson because I read the reviews after I had already booked the trip and although they were mixed I had family coming in from the UK and I hoped not to disappoint them with substandard accommodation. As we arrived in the neighbourhood my niece felt insecure that the area did not appear safe because of the roadworks locally.On entering the hotel, the helpful and pleasant clerk was soon to reassure us saying that we were in a safe area and that it was safe to park outside until Monday morning when we would need to pay in the parking lot underneath or across from the hotel.

Our experience at the Raddison was a great one, the sleep number bed is a excellent when you are away from home and after a tiresome day. We were on the 10th floor which was quiet and despite the negative comments from others, we have no regrets. We would definitely stay at the Radisson again after the work is completed.

Room Tip: Our rooms were at the front of the building on the 10th floor and were quiet
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post a good review on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay with us. I appreciate your kind comments regarding our Team Members. Delighted you enjoyed your stay with Radisson Ottawa. Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Europe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

As previously commented by few fellow Tripadvisor members, I was pleasantly surprised by Radisson Hotel Ottawa Parliament Hill.

I felt being warmly welcomed by the Front Desk and fairly helped with all questions and requests, special thanks to Francois who kindly managed to upgrade my complimentary breakfast.

Despite the works outside, my stay was not at all affected and I could enjoy a great journey in Ottawa.

Once again, thanks to the entire team!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Darryll H, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Ottawa Parliament Hill, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Guest, It’s always a pleasure to receive excellent reviews! I’m pleased you enjoyed our location which is a short walking distance to many of Ottawa’s attractions, shopping, and restaurants. As well Thank You for the nice comments about our team member Francois. We are truly lucky to have him on the team.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stayed here last week after booking this hotel as an "Expedia Hidden Rate". I was really surprised by the negative reviews, because when I checked I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is not luxurious obviously, but it was very decent. The room was comfortable and clean. Great bed. Huge flatscreen TV. The staff were very welcoming and helpful. At check in they made a point of checking with me about my wake up time so they can avoid putting me in a room close to construction (hotel undergoing renovations). The staff took time to answer questions about local transportation and were very pleasant to deal with (special kudos to David who was extra helpful). The hotel has a very convenient location for downtown in a nice neighborhood. Only downside is that most coffee shops and eateries in the vicinity close early (couple restaurants open till 11 but thats it.) Overall a very good value and I would stay here again,

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your hotel stay. We're glad that you find our location to be convenient and that your stay has been enjoyable so far. Thank you for the kind comments about the staff. Our staff are focused on providing our valued guests with memorable hospitality experiences. Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Maidenhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We booked here after being disappointed by our original destination, & were we pleased that we had! We had 2 rooms which were spotlessly clean & spacious. The beds & pillows were so comfortable we didn't want to get out of bed & the bathrooms were well appointed with plenty of towels & decent toiletries. We only had breakfast there as there are so many nice eateries to try! The hotel is within a short walk of the major attractions. We were warned about the refurbishment when we booked, but weren't troubled by noise. Yes, parking was expensive, but what can you expect in a Capital city. (As an aside, beware of the private parking lots which advertise overnight parking for 6CAD- overnight ends at 6am ! We landed up with a 42CAD fine by not reading the small print!) We found most of the staff friendly & helpful & would certainly stay at the Radisson again, should we be in Ottawa again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your hotel stay. We're glad that you find our location to be convenient and that your stay has been enjoyable so far and Thank You for giving us another shot. Looking forward to welcoming you back again.

Kind Regards
Darryll Hunter

Been to Radisson Hotel Ottawa Parliament Hill? Share your experiences!