“A nice hotel just on the edge of Ottawa's main CBD” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
A Getaway for 2
Ranked #35 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Shanghai, China
“A nice hotel just on the edge of Ottawa's main CBD”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My sister and I had a one-day trip to visit Ottawa. After searching for the best price with the best location, we decided to try Radisson Hotel Ottawa. The location is just on the edge of Ottawa's downtown. To bear the name Parliament Hill is a bit of a stretch as this hotel is about 15-20 mins walking to the parliament hill.

The hotel was recently fully refurbished (about one or two months ago). Check-in was a breeze and the front desk staff was kind and professional. He provided us with the wifi code and directed us to the elevator. Lobby was very small but clean, even when it was snowing heavily outside. No water marks on the floor.

When we arrived, we were assigned a room on the second floor. The room was rather small and dark though it was clean, well-maintained, and equipped with all the basic necessities you will need for a short stay. Funny enough, near the window and the main radiator, I felt that the carpet was wet and soaked. I thought it was just a coincidence and I didn't bother to look further. We then left to do city tour around ottawa and we returned late in the evening around 9 or 10 pm. To my surprise, what was a small wet spot on the carpet became a flooding to the point it squeaked when you step your feet on the carpet. My sister immediately called room service and a technician came within minutes. He was probably the best and kindest hotel technician I have ever met. He inspected the window and radiator and apologized for the inconvenience caused. Then out of nowhere, he asked us to stay in the room for a couple more minutes so that he can go downstairs to the lobby and ask the front desk to give us a new room. He escorted the new room key to us and apologized again for the thousandth times. What surprised us was he gave two breakfast vouchers and upgraded us to a bigger room. He even brought our two small suitcases to the new room which was located just around the corner.

The new room was definitely better and welcomed. The bed was much larger, the room had more space, and the bathroom felt larger too. If only I asked the name of the gentleman, I would have asked for him to be given massive christmas bonus on his next paycheck.

Breakfast was held in the restaurant on the ground floor. You could choose from french toast, fruit parfait, scrambled egg, or cereal. No buffet breakfast. I think the voucher was worth $10 each.

So, to sum up, the positives are:
+ location is quite good with lots of busses and taxis around
+ price is reasonable
+ clean and tidy
+ super friendly staff (especially the technician)

the points for improvements are:
+ the room is quite dark. perhaps better lighting?
+ before I got upgraded, my first room was very small

All in all, it was a good stay at this Radisson branch. I don't mind to come back there again :) It was a good value for the price my sister and I paid.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing Queen Street or Bay Street. otherwise, your room will be facing a brick wall a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Darryll H, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Ottawa Parliament Hill, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for your review. I sincerely apologize about the room we had you in at the start. We really try our best to make our guests stay as comfortable and worry free as possible. I'm delighted you did enjoy our hotel and service. It really means a lot to us here that the service is good. I will pass on your nice comments to our maintenance person and again Thank You! Hope see you back soon.

Darryll Hunter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

The location is around 20 minutes walking distance from Parliament hill and the associated attractions and around 16-17 dollars via taxi from the VIA rail terminal.
Upul at the front desk was very welcoming and ensured that the check-in was smooth.

The room was cozy and clean. The room had an ironing board, coffee maker, flat screen TV, 2 chairs and 1 desk. The washroom had enough towels, shampoo, conditioner, body wash. The marble sink had slightly lower height than usual (ideal for slightly grown-up children). The queen bed was very comfortable and the sleep was fulfulling. Public transit (2 blocks away on the wellington street) is handy to go towards Parliament hill.

TIm Horton's was 2 blocks away (delta hotel building) as well as Starbucks and more restaurants could be found on Bank Street (15-20 minutes walk). Some ethnic restaurants (India Palace) and a bar was quite nearby.

The booking was done through Ottawatourism ($95+tax) and got a better deal than through direct booking from their website

Room Tip: Try to choose rooms away from the elevator, elevator noise was somewhat higher than normal.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Darryll H, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Ottawa Parliament Hill, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thank You for the Kind Review. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your time at the hotel.

On behalf of our entire staff at Radisson we thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Happy New Year!

Grenville-sur-la-Rouge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

This hotel is very well situated and is close to all the main attractions that Ottawa offers. The front desk clerks are efficient and very nice and all the staff are eager to help you with a big smile on their faces and in their voice. The room was perfect, very clean (spotless) and super comfy with the sleep number adjustable bed this is certainly a plus. From the room, the view is breathtaking, you can even see the mountains on the Quebec side! Because the Hotel is situated in front of a Church, it is absolutely quiet for a good night sleep, it wasn't noisy at all. The bar-restaurant offers a very good menu with affordable prices. In all, my spouse and I highly recommend this Hotel for different kind of travels, business, couple getaways, family and friends reunions, you get the most beautiful service for a very reasonable price!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Darryll H, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Ottawa Parliament Hill, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you for the very kind review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Radisson Hotel Ottawa Parliament Hill upon your next stay back to the area.

Happy Holidays.

ns
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed at the Radisson in Ottawa for 3 nights while on business. I did not choice this hotel but my company booked it for our group based on price ($147.00 per night plus taxes). I thought this was a high price and poor value, but to be fair I never called around to compare - perhaps it is a good value for the location and time frame.

The room and hotel itself was very, very clean and the service great - very professional and friendly, so for these 2 reasons I would stay here again but there are some things to note for consideration:

- the hotel is an older hotel so you can see that in certain areas: very small closet (but functional)and traditonal bathroom - but again, functional and clean.
- the hotel is undergoing renos - so there is quite a bit of noise. Heard during our meetings (we used their boardroom) and while in my room, however; they did tell me these via an email when I booked and there were signs everywhere - so I knew going into it
- for an older hotel though the 2 elevators were very efficient and the place did seem to be very busy . . .
they have a restaurant in the hotel - Southern Cross Grill - for convenience, did a separate review for this
- the hotel was located very well, just on the outside of the main "zone" but I walked to the World Exchange Centre in about 5 minutes to go to the movie theatre - Rideau mall about 15-20 min walk but I cabbed it for $6 each way.

My only complaint would be the extremely loud heatng/cooling vent/heater located under the window - it was sooooooo loud it made sleeping difficult. I tried every setting to turn it off but nothing worked!! I was OK with the temperature it chose, but it would just not shut off :) So it worked, as the temp was fine - just the loudness a pain.

The room was big and the beds comfy and they had complimentary water and coffee - so this was nice. Like I said - I would stay here again for the cleanliness, service and even location - just would take the time to have someone look at the vent/radiator . . .

I rated it average based on the price, value, location, services (no pool or spa or hot tub, etc) in addition to my above comments - oh - and it has free wifi . . .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Darryll H, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Ottawa Parliament Hill, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for your review. I sincerely apologize about the fan in your room. We are looking at adjusting all heater units. We really try our best to make our guests stay as comfortable and worry free as possible. I'm delighted you did enjoy our service. It really means a lot to us here that the service is good. Thank You! Please come again.
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed here on business for 3 nights November 6-9 2012. Had room 204 which is almost right across from the elevators, but I did not hear any noise that I could attribute to them.

The rooms were spacious with flat screen tv, one of those king size sleep number adjustable beds (really comfy!) and two windows that can open. However, due to construction on the front of the building it is requested that the windows are not opened due to dirt and dust. Not an issue in November!

We ate in the restaurant each morning and the breakfasts were great and reasonably priced - about $10 per person for egg, bacon, hash browns, toast and coffee. We also had dinner there one night and I think a burger and sweet potato fries comes in under $20.The menu is tex mex in style, though you can get steak/burgers/salads.

The location is the best about this hotel - just a couple of blocks from Parliament Hill. A cab ride one way to either the Byward Market or Al's Steak House costs less than $8 excluding a tip.

Parking is an exhorbitant $18.00 daily, but it is secure underground and if not having to take your car in and out of a lot and look for alternative parking is important, then maybe this isnt an issue for you.

The hotel is easily accessible on Queen off Bronson (if the construction on Bronson doesnt get you turned around!) and then it is an easy return to the Queensway/416 down Lyon street, so easy to find if you are from out of town.

This is a smaller hotel, but I found the quality of the accommodation, the staff at reception and the wait staff in the restaurant all really friendly and helpful and I would not hesitate to stay here again.

One more thing - "gentleman's club" Barbarella's is about a block away!

Room Tip: I was in 204 with two windows. Although close to the elevator, I didnt hear it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Darryll H, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Ottawa Parliament Hill, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank You for the kind Review. Delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I arrived at the hotel just before dinner time, the guy at the reception was very nice. I was traveling to Ottawa for a Dog ObedienceTrial the morning after! Making an overnight was giving us the chance to have a good night of sleep over a 2 hours drive in the early morning. The room assigned to me was right in front the elevators,each time the doors would open the sound was unbelievable. The room was very disappointing, smell in the room,OLD and probably because of carpet....gave me a lot of problems, my eyes were burning like hell. While going out with the dog, I told the clerk at the reception about the room and I was told they are all the same....ouppps. Conclusion, rooms need to be looked at. Positive, bed was very comfortable, and ajustable. I could go to the restaurant and order my dinner and to accommodate me, because of the dog, when everything was ready, they called me up to the room. Reception people and restaurant were very friendly, great area to be with your dog, park just at the end of the street with an amasing view on Quebec. I did fill the hotel survey with the very same comments and I will not go back to the Radisson Ottawa.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel unless they do major renovations to the rooms. Entrance was in construction and...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Darryll H, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Ottawa Parliament Hill, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank You for the review. I most sincerley apologize for your past stay with us. I will be looking into the room in which you stayed. As well I will be addressing the discussion you had regarding the service. I would like to discuss the matter with you further as well I would like to welcome you back and have an opportunity to make things right and enjoyable.

Ottawa, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Before moving to Ottawa my familiy and I took a trip to the city to familiarize ourselves with it and to look for a house to live in. While here we stayed at the Radisson Hotel and had a wonderful stay. The rooms were comfortable and clean and the staff was very helpful and were able to answer our questions about the city. The location is very convenient for taking in the sites also.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Darryll H, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Ottawa Parliament Hill, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for your comments, we apprecaite the time taken to write a review of your stay at our property. We are glad you had a great stay at our hotel and I will be certainly pass on your compliments to our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind Regards

Darryll Hunter

Been to Radisson Hotel Ottawa Parliament Hill? Share your experiences!