“Clean and well kept near the airport” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2431 Bank Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1V 8R9, Canada   |
Ranked #6 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tampa
“Clean and well kept near the airport”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

Clean spacious rooms, Good restaurant, close to the airport with a shuttle bus and free internet .

I can't really complain about anything.

A good choice in Ottawa.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

My wife and I spent three nights at the Southway while visiting our daughter in Ottawa. We've stayed at the hotel several times before. Since we're on the computer system, making a reservation was a breeze. Check-in was quick and courteous, thanks to an efficient front-desk staff.

Our second floor room was large, spacious, and well-appointed. It included a queen size bed, two bedside tables, a large working desk with reclining swivel office chair, and an easy chair with footstool and table. A TV and mini-fridge were hidden within a large armoire. A sign on the desk indicated that the hotel is in the process of replacing their older TVs with new flat screen units. Our room still had an older unit, but it worked well and served our purpose for watching news and weather. The room had an AM-FM clock radio, iron and ironing board, and coffee maker. Toiletries were neatly arranged in the bathroom.

I couldn't get the wired internet to work. The desk clerk offered me a long hook-up cable and also provided the password to the wireless internet. He stopped me in the lobby the next day to confirm that I was accessing the internet OK. Nearly every member of the hotel staff greeted us any time they passed us in the hotel.

Our room was steps from the elevator, but we never noticed noise of people coming and going. Our room overlooked the gravel roof and skylights of the lobby, but we could see beyond that to stores and shops surrounding the hotel area.

The salt water swimming pool area is bright and airy, with a mix of large potted real and artificial plants. There is also a sauna that reaches a proper heat level few hotel saunas seem to obtain, plus a small whirlpool. A nice exercise room overlooks the pool area through large plate glass windows We found the pool and exercise area a very welcoming and inviting place to be.

For those whose idea of breakfast is coffee and a sweet roll or muffin, such is provided each morning from 6:00 to 8:00 a.m. In addition, there is a large bowl of apples, refreshed throughout the day. More substantial breakfasts are available in the Shallows, the hotel restaurant, or at a number of other restaurant and fast food places within walking distance or a quick drive.

We had the Globe & Mail newspaper delivered to our door each morning. There are also stacks of complimentary Ottawa Business Journals and National Posts available just off the lobby.

We have found the Southway to be a comfortable hotel at a fair price. I would prefer a more generous complimentary breakfast, but otherwise it suits our needs perfectly.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

Husband and I stayed at the Southway back in 2006. We enjoyed our stay. The service back then was impeccable as well as the Shallow Restaurant. I mean Impeccable. We had a phenomenal time. We were relocating at that time so our stay was 3 weeks.

Now, 2010 we revisited Southway and there has been a drastic change. Where should we begin. Another review we read states the fact about a cross over the door in the rooms. Yes there is a cross, please be advised. It is too bad that the owner will not inform guests of this before their arrival. Its 2010 and times have changed unfortunately. People should have the right to know. My question to this would be: If I book a room and go check in and find out theres a cross and choose to leave will you refund my money? I do not have the answer but I sure would like to know.

Next, the rooms are so outdated. Not only outdated but the T.Vs are small and all I have to say is: If you're a frequent traveler like my husband and I and have stayed at the best or middle of the line of hotels, you will be shocked at the decor. Our room is clean I will admit. Clean bathrooms and overall clean. Except the stained rug. "The pink" bathrooms with Green rugs and blue bedspread. Martha Stewart would be totally outraged.

We were staying of the 3rd floor and It seems they do not use the A.C. in the hallway in a smaller part of the hotel. As well as the Elevator that is frequently used by the room service staff with stinky onion smell lingering on. *note to the manager* Use fan in that Elevator. It's hot and smelly.

Shallow Restaurant. Well never again. Service was slow. I ordered Honey mustard salad and hubby Ceasar. Ceasar was good. Mine Nope, there was no honey mustard flavor at all. I ate most of it and did not complain. The rolls they gave us were onion flavoured. I asked for white bread. Waitress said they did not have any. I ordered Classic French Onion Soup. Hubby Wing special. My Soup: hardly any cheese on it. * I love oozing cheese on French Onion soup* Brown Bread on the bottom? White Baguette on top? *Where's the French Bread?* Oh boy, the brown bread at the bottom tasted like it was soaked with fish juice. Hubbys only got 7 wings; he enjoyed them but has had better. When the husband was finished, waitress ask me how it was. I told her I did not like it that much it tasted funny. She told me, I should had said something sooner. ??? She said that she cannot do anything about it but offered me a cup of coffee? A desert? Or another Salad. LOL Another Salad. I politely said no. I went back to the room and left my husband to pay the bill. She took the coffee off the bill. We were never offered a second cup of coffee or beer throughout the meal for that matter. I talked to other guess and they found it met their expectations. Maybe it was because it was a Wednesday night.

I find the Southway caters more to Weddings and Business Meetings/Conferences. There is a Court Yard to smoke if you are a smoker. But cannot use this if a wedding is taking place. You have to go outside at the front of the hotel where there is just one bench. Personally I felt exposed. I wanted to relax in the court yard. This is unacceptable for the price we paid for a room. Southway has a somewhat continental breakfast. It consist of Muffins, Danish and coffee. The time 6am-8am. It is located along the side of the front desk, so you kinda feel like your being watched.

Please note: This is our experience with this hotel. We have traveled a lot over the years. Have seen the Best of Hotels and the Worst of Hotels as well as Restaurants. Perhaps we are a bit critical. But, Honestly, this is not a getaway or relaxing time kinda hotel. It is only Great for Funtions or Businesses. They will cater to their needs but not to the average traveller. Quality for your money: Not here.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

Having read previous reviews I was apprehensive at about what to expect from the Southway Inn.

On arrival I was greeted by very smart and professional staff, with some xmas decorations around, I got the feeling that I would have been very nice if you were here when it was in the full swing of the holiday season.

My room was a very good size with a good sized bathroom. The bed linen was clean with sheets not duvets which I think is a must for any hotel wanting to be taken seriously. The bed was comfortable and I had a peaceful sleep everynight, contrary to previous reviews about thin walls.

Overall, a very good hotel, that I would happily stay in if every I was in the area. The crosses in the rooms did not bother me, as I'm sure they would not bother many people.

The swimming pool was small but very good and well maintained. High speed internet access was by cable and not WIFI as I believe the website states, but the hotel provides the necessary cable.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Moncton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010

Coral carpet, hunter green bedspread, tropical silk flowers...it's as if Blanche and Dorothy decorated the room I had at the Southway. The TV may even have been new when the Golden Girls was current. That being said, the room was immaculately clean and very large. The wired internet worked like a charm and there was plenty of hot water.

Overall, if you are stuck or not given a choice this is a completely acceptable place to stay. Just don't expect the moon!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
RobinBuckley, Management at Southway Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of our hotel. Since your visit, new TV's have been installed and our internet service is now wireless.
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2009

We checked into this hotel and found the services and cleaniness of this hotel were fine. Unknow to us when we entered our rooms there was a "Cross" hung on the wall in every suite.

In our opinionn this is the owner's right. However; we feel a sign should be posted informing non Christian people of this.

We also contacted the owner Steven to discuss this and the long and short is that he has no intentions of notifying people of this.

Just thought we would pass this on.

Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
kristine2431, Sales at Southway Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2011
Thank you for taking your time to submit a review with Trip Advisor

Since your stay we have removed all crosses from all guest rooms .

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Palatine, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

We have stayed at the Southway several times in the past 4 years and keep returning because of the hotels consistent quality. The rooms are neat, comfortable and clean. The staff is courteous and helpful. The hotel is conveniently located near the airport and Carleton University. There is an excellent restaurant (Shallows) on the property. When we return to Ottawa I am sure we will stay again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Southway Hotel? Share your experiences!