“The Golden Girls Exploded in my Room” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save Big up to 15 % OFF
Ranked #7 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Moncton, Canada
“The Golden Girls Exploded in my Room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010

Coral carpet, hunter green bedspread, tropical silk flowers...it's as if Blanche and Dorothy decorated the room I had at the Southway. The TV may even have been new when the Golden Girls was current. That being said, the room was immaculately clean and very large. The wired internet worked like a charm and there was plenty of hot water.

Overall, if you are stuck or not given a choice this is a completely acceptable place to stay. Just don't expect the moon!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
RobinBuckley, Management at Southway Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of our hotel. Since your visit, new TV's have been installed and our internet service is now wireless.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2009

We checked into this hotel and found the services and cleaniness of this hotel were fine. Unknow to us when we entered our rooms there was a "Cross" hung on the wall in every suite.

In our opinionn this is the owner's right. However; we feel a sign should be posted informing non Christian people of this.

We also contacted the owner Steven to discuss this and the long and short is that he has no intentions of notifying people of this.

Just thought we would pass this on.

Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
kristine2431, Sales at Southway Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2011
Thank you for taking your time to submit a review with Trip Advisor

Since your stay we have removed all crosses from all guest rooms .

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Palatine, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

We have stayed at the Southway several times in the past 4 years and keep returning because of the hotels consistent quality. The rooms are neat, comfortable and clean. The staff is courteous and helpful. The hotel is conveniently located near the airport and Carleton University. There is an excellent restaurant (Shallows) on the property. When we return to Ottawa I am sure we will stay again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Hollis, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2008

I am a frequent business traveler, and my travel agent booked this hotel for me before I had a chance to read the reviews. Boy, was I concerned after reading the reviews! Since my destination was within walking distance from the hotel and my trip was going to be only two days long, I decided to follow through with the reservation. I am glad I did!

The Southway Inn recently finished remodeling their hotel, and it is quite lovely. The lobby is small, but well decorated and functional. The rooms have been upgraded to business class, and there are several function rooms on the premises.

I read in a previous review that the staff seemed unfriendly. I can't say that I met anyone unfriendly at the check-in desk. I CAN say that they were very professional, efficient, and reserved at first, so I can see how someone might take that as being unfriendly. Throughout my stay, however, they turned out to be quite friendly and helped me with things such as getting a wire for the internet connection in my room. Speaking of which, there was no wireless Internet in my room. You will need a CAT5 cable to plug into the Internet outlet, so make sure you bring one or take a chance that the front desk will have an extra one for you.

The restaurant had an EXCELLENT breakfast that was reasonably priced. I had the eggs florentine and the eggs were perfectly poached. For dinner, I had the escargot and a small salad with goat cheese; both were fabulous and the entire menu has a French flair. I highly recommend the restaurant. My drinks were never empty, and the staff greeted you when you entered and left their establishment. I never found myself saying, "Now, where is my waiter?"

My hotel room was completely adequate for my needs. The room was newly redecorated with some nice amenities such as a fancy alarm clock (check out my photos), digital thermometer, and coffee service. There was also a small refrigerator as well. The desk chair in my room was VERY comfortable, but my colleague wasn't so lucky. She had a regular four-leg chair with no wheelss, arms or extra padding. Hopefully, they're getting around to replacing that type of furniture. But my bed was a brand new Tempur-pedic style bed... I slept VERY well!

The bathroom was VERY large, which I really appreciated. I hate bathrooms where you have to shut the door when you move from the sink to the shower. This was NOT the case at the Southway Inn. Although the bathroom could have been more brightly lit, it was comfortable and they kept it very clean. The soaps and shampoos were a little nicer than some of the hotels I've stayed in as well.

I can attest to the walls (or ceilings) being a bit thin. I heard running water from other hotel rooms, but it wasn't obnoxious or unacceptable. The hallway door sealed airtight so that kept any noise from coming through from the hallway.

I highly recommend The Southway Inn. I will definitely stay there again. Please check out my photos.

• Liked — Cleaniness, efficient staff, and excellent restaurant
  • Disliked — No wireless Internet in the rooms? This is the 21st century!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2007

The room was okay and a little larger than most. I was told it had a microwave, but it did not. Aparently only some of the rooms have microwaves, and they were all booked.

I was in the older section where the tiles in the bathroom were cracked, but it still seemed rather clean.

It is very convenient to go to the airport and there are a number of small restauraunts close by.

I think you can get a much better rate in this area without a lot of trying.

During my stay, I was going to be living there for 3 weeks. After 2-3 days, eating out every meal starts to get tiring. I need at least a microwave in my room. I checked out after one night.

The desk staff seemed to have a little trouble with English, but they were friendly to me.

• Liked — Close to Airport
  • Disliked — Not a good place for a long stay. One night is fine.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Red Deer, Alberta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2007

The main hotel is aesthetically pleasing and convenient to the Ottawa airport. That was what appealed to us when we booked the reservation early in August 07 and guaranteed the room with my credit card.

The problems started with the reservations. About 5 days prior to our flight from Calgary to Ottawa, I called the hotel and sought confirmation that our room would be smoke-free and in a quiet location, as originally requested at time of booking.

Southway Inn informed me I had no reservation. Nor could they explain what happened to all my information including C/Card that I had supplied when I booked the room 3 weeks earlier.

They proceeded to take all my reservation information again and re-booked our room. I explained that I had severe allergies to cigarette smoke, that I was a light sleeper and therefore needed a smoke-free room in a quiet area of the hotel. I was assured this would be taken care of.

On Sept 1/2007 we arrived at the Calgary airport only to learn that our flight had been delayed and we would not arrive at the hotel until after midnight on Sept 2nd. I promptly phoned Southway Inn to advise of the later than expected arrival time. I gave them my reservation number and sought confirmation that our room was guaranteed for late arrival. They assured me that it was.

We arrived at Southway Inn about 12:30 am on Sept 2/2007 only to discover that the hotel was full and they only had one room left that had a double bed.

Apparently whatever room we had been assigned had been re-assigned to someone else, despite the fact that we had been assured otherwise less that 8 hours earlier.

The receptionist told us the rooms are given out on a first-come-first served basis and that the hotel was virtually full. The fact that I had guaranteed the room with my credit card was totally immaterial to him. We found him to be very abrupt and totally insensitive to the situation. He informed us that we could either take the room or find something elsewhere. Exhausted from the trip we did not have much choice but to take what was offered.

The room he assigned was situated in the older section of the hotel, not in the modern looking tower unit. As we entered the corridor to the older section, the smell of smoke lingered in the hall. We arrived at Room 122 and noted on the door a sign "Non-smoking".

While the room was aesthetically acceptable, it literally reeked of cigarette smoke. While the room appeared to have been renovated in recent years, the nicotine smell was characteristic of a room that had been smoked in for years. Apparently nothing had been done to eradicate the airborne toxins. We found nicotine stains around the light switches.

Unfortunately we could not open windows to get fresh air as they were sealed units. The only alternative was to turn on the air-conditioner, an ancient and noisy box-type unit like the ones you would find in a $49/night motel dating back to the 1960's.

My wife and I spent a totally sleepless night at the Southway Inn due to the noise of the air-conditioner and my severe allergies.

When we were checking out, the receptionist was totally indifferent and refused to make any adjustments to our room charges. He did give us a Guest Evaluation Card. If the attitude displayed at the front desk was a reflection of the corporate culture of Southway Inn, we questioned whether anyone in management would ever see it, let alone respond back to us. We have never heard back from management so what does that say?

Would I recommend it to others.....You be the judge!
We travel extensively and I can say this was without a doubt one of our worst experiences. If we had checked into a $49/night hotel, we might have understood, but that was not the case here!

Richard & Betty Bradford
Alberta

• Liked — Close location to Ottawa International Airport
  • Disliked — Lousy Service at Reception and non-smoking room reaked of nicotine.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Montreal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2007

On the plus side the hotel is clean, the rooms are a good size, the Internet is free, they give you a newspaper in the morning and the parking is included.

On the negative side, when you call to make a reservation the person is less than friendly. I asked to have connecting rooms with my son. He told me that he could not guarantee that. I asked what they do about families traveling with small children. He said he could not guarantee a connecting room. When I arrived, I did not have a connecting room. The desk clerk said I had to request that when I reserved. I said I did but the person was not very nice about it. He finally found me connecting rooms. But shouldn't this be a normal part of the reservation process? Why the hassle?

The bed was not comfortable and the room was not soundproof so I was awakened several times during the night when people came back to their rooms quite late.

The staff was a mixture of friendly and unfriendly. The waiter in the restaurant for breakfast pretty much growled at us.

Would I recommend it? Yes, if you are going to be there just one night and want something close to the airport for an early flight. It is far from downtown and I don't recommend the restaurant for dinner when there are a number of good downtown restaurants. No, if you are going to Ottawa as a destination to visit the country's monuments and museums. For about the same price you can find something within walking distance to most of the sights, nightlife and good restaurants.

• Liked — Cleanliness and close to airport, free internet and free parking
  • Disliked — Staff, lack of friendliness, far from downtown
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Southway Hotel? Share your experiences!