“Fantastic Customer Service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 66 hotels in Ottawa
Iqaluit
“Fantastic Customer Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I've been staying at the Southway since 2006. Even when I have meetings downtown, I always move out to the Southway for the night before my flight. The free shuttle and proximity to shopping, restaurants and the airport make this a no-brainer. The customer service from Luis, Tony, Ray, Dan and the others at the front desk have, more recently, led me to stay here and drive into town for meetings: this is a bit of an oasis, a home away from home...now if only the housekeeping staff could make my bed at home:)

Room Tip: They are in the process of renovating so ask for a newly renovated room if one is available.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
kristine2431, Front Office Manager at Southway Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2013

What a review.

Thank you for mentioning our staff members who make your stay an enjoyable one .

223 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

My organization has been using this hotel since the mid 70's and I personally have been exclusively using it for we'll over 10 years.
Most all of the hotel staff have been there since I began using the hotel over 10 years ago. They are friendly, helpful professional, efficient and obviously very experienced. It gives you that "Cheers" feeling..."where everybody knows your name".
The price and quality of food in the restaurant is top notch and in fact at times you may even need to make a reservation. It seems that people, other than hotel guests like to use this restraint.

I wouldn't use any other hotel for my business or personal needs!

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for your review.

What a review. Thank you for being a loyal customer all these years.

Its an amazing feeling to read these types of reviews.

Your review has been shared with all staff memebers.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

All the best .

Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed here for five weeks while on training for a new job. The room was consistently clean and tidy and the housekeeping staff quite pleasant and friendly. The front desk staff were very helpful (particularly when assisting after I lost my truck keys in a snow covered parking lot) and looked after my requests quickly and effiiciently.

I found this hotel to be very quiet. I was there during the Ottawa Motorcycle Show and, a few weeks later, a hockey tournament. No problems at all.

I didn't use the restaurant or partake of the free continental breakfast (Tim Horton's right across the street), but I did use the pool, fitness centre and hot tub frequently.

A taxi ride into downtown is a bit expensive, but OC Transpo has several routes that stop at, or very near, the front doors. The hotel's airport shuttle is fast, free and very convenient.

The room had a good sized fridge, microwave and coffee maker which i used each day. There are three shopping malls and several restaurants within a few minutes walking for those who are inclined to buy and cook your own meals.

Overall, a very nice and quiet hotel that I'd stay at again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking your time to write a review.

Its always a pleasure to read reviews such as yours.

We are glad to hear that both stays were enjoyable .

Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Very nice hotel for overnight stays. Clean, up to date rooms with nice comfortable beds!
My hotel of choice when overnighting in Ottawa (close to airport and other amenities).
Friendly, helpful staff (front desk, cleaning, maintenance etc), and always have a smile for you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
kristine2431, Front Office Manager at Southway Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for your review.

We are so happy to be your hotel of choice when visiting Ottawa.

Looking forward to your return visit .

All the best ,

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We stayed at the Southway recently, on the "Stay and Park" package - which doesn't show up when you try to reserve rooms on-line. But it's there - if you stay one night at this particular rate, you get free parking for a week. A good deal compared to airport parking.

As always at the Southway, the hotel and room were clean, comfortable and attractive. The car parking was a little odd: when we checked in, we told them we'd be parking our car there for the week, but we weren't asked for our keys or any details about the car. The next morning, when we checked out on our way to the airport, there were different staff at the front desk - so we asked again if they needed any info about the car, and only at that point did they ask for the key & licence plate #, which we put in an envelope to be kept at the front desk.

When we came to pick up the car a week later, the desk clerk was looking for our name in the car register - it wasn't there. Nobody had filled it in when we dropped the car off a week earlier. So, we filled in the register only upon departure. It seems the "Stay and Park" procedures aren't known to all desk staff yet; I'm just glad they weren't looking for our car in the register in the meantime.

What really inspired me to write this review, though, is our experience with making a 2nd booking on short notice. On checking out of the first stay, we asked if there was any room a week later, in case our flight was late into Ottawa and we needed a room for the night. The desk clerk said "sure, there are lots of rooms for next Saturday". When we did get back on the next Saturday, the hotel was full, and we had to wait a couple of hours for a cancellation. All of which is fine - but when we expressed surprise that the hotel filled up so unexpectedly, the desk clerk - the same one who'd said there was lots of room - told us there were a couple of conferences in town, and then proceeded to lecture us about how the Southway is "the #1 hotel on Trip Advisor in Ottawa" and "very much in demand". Really-!

I'd say that it's never appropriate to lecture to prospective guests, when they're faced with no availability, about how popular the hotel is and how highly rated it is, on Trip Advisor or anywhere else. If the hotel is bad, it harms credibility. If the hotel is good, it just seems like bragging - and doesn't help the prospective guests in any way.

Notwithstanding the front desk anomalies, our stay at the Southway was otherwise comfortable, convenient and a good value. Recommended.

Room Tip: The room amenities don't include hand lotion, unless you're staying in a suite, so bring you...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking your time to review us on Trip Advisor . We appreciate all feedback.

With regards to the Stay And Fly package it is not always available on line due to limited parking spaces. The package is a very popular one especially in the winter months with everyone heading on holidays.

With regards to the keys and license plate mix up ; the procedure is to retrieve the keys upon check out , and to gather all information at this time , as your keys are sealed in an envelope as a security procedure. I do apologize for what happened upon your return, and we have implemeted a policy to ensure the keys are checked on a nightly basis to ensure proper recording.

With regards to the hotel being full upon your return, it can fill up quite quickly and reservations are always recommened , as being close to the Airport we can recieve a lot of rooms quite fast with flight cancellations; that being said we are glad to hear that we were able to accomodate you.

We at the hotel are very pround to have been number one on Trip Advisor , and the staff are encouraged to share this information , since your review all staff have been re- trained on how to share this information with guests.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback, it can only make us improve and become better as one .

All the best ,

White Rock, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Was in Ottawa for work and was put up at the Southway. Decent rooms, although they seemed a little dated (think pastel pink bathroom tiles) in the area I was in, clean surroundings and friendly staff. The continental breakfast was ok, but I usually stopped for something a little more hearty later in the morning. The hotel is close to the airport and has a free shuttle. If you're looking to go into Downtown Ottawa its about a $30 cab fare. The onsite restaurant is hit or miss, some mornings we were waited on and served in 20mins, other mornings took nearly an hour, that being said the one morning I had room service it showed up on time and hot. There was a swimming pool and hot tub and decent laundry facility. This hotel serves its purpose and I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your taking your time to review us on Trip Advisor .

We appreciate the feedback.

We are currently undergoing moderate rennovations in the Courtyard side of our hotel to ensure the most modern and update decor and amenities.

When you return in the future please contact me directly , so I can ensure you will be able to see the future of where the Southway Hotel is heading .

We are looking forward to your return visit .

My coorindates are as follows 613.737.0811 x 194 or kristine@southway.com.

Once again thank you for the review.

Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Great job - Totally unexpected!
On a recent business trip (FYI - I am in Ottawa weekly for work and consider the Southway my home away from home) I checked into my room, a pleasant and quick process as usual ... that ended with an amazing surprise. I swiped my card and opened to door to one of the most welcoming tower suites the hotel has to offer! It was an amazing surprise to me - and an even greater surprise to my fiance who decided to accompany me on the trip and arrived at the hotel later that afternoon. The shock on her face when she entered the suite was unforgettable!
All the rooms are inviting, well equiped and very very clean. This suite was beautiful, spacious, modern and spotless.
Thank you Southway for providing us with a little mid week mini vacation!
Key points that made me choose Southway for my weekly trips -
-amazing value and no surprises
-free parking in a well lit lot
-close to my workplace and a selection of chain and independent restaurants
-I was refered to the Southway by friends who have stayed there for weeks at a time while in Ottawa and loved it

Geoff and Cassie

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review!
What a review it is .
We are delighted to hear you enjoy your stays with us , and look forward to your return visits.

Your positive Feedback has been shared with all staff.

All the best,
Kristine Hillis

Been to Southway Hotel? Share your experiences!