“Not THE destination” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Ottawa Hotel

You added Sheraton Ottawa Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Ottawa Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   150 Albert Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5G2, Canada (Byward Market Area)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #22 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Orangeville, Canada
“Not THE destination”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Great hotel in Ottawa, but the hotel is not the destination in this case. I stayed in this property 3 nights over a week (two stays) because of a death in my family. The first stay was just my husband and I as we had to clean out my mother's apartment. We stayed on the Friday night between Christmas and New Years. Room was 1 king bed. There was a chair and ottoman and a reading light, flat screen TV, desk with comfortable chair and two bedside tables. Bed was very comfortable. Nice room, comfortable, had everything we needed. No view.

The only thing strange, if you want to call it that, about the rooms in this hotel that I have not encountered anywhere else, is that they are square and the bathroom is not right inside the door. I note this because as soon as the room door is open, anyone who is in the hallway can see right into every part of your room unless you are on the side of the bed beside the bathroom wall, right up by the pillows. So don't have your partner run our for ice while you slip into something more comfortable....because all will be revealed when they open the door to anyone outside. Also the room is all carpet, no tile by the door so in the cold Canadian winters everyone has to wear their boots into the room and onto the carpet...a bit gross.

The hallways in this hotel are C-O-L-D! Be prepared if going to the pool or down to the bar or restaurant. Not just cool, but uncomfortably cold. Plus there are always covered laundry bins, large ones, in the hallways waiting for the laundry for the next day. I always thought these would move, but they didn't. They were there 24 hours a day.

You will not get a statement under your door either. So when we went to check out I had to go to the front desk. I was asked how I was, how my stay was going, if I had a good time...until I asked if there was a note on my file as to the purpose of our stay. "No" was the reply. I was surprised as I was very specific when I made the reservation through a SPG agent that we were there only because my mother had died and I made the two reservations at the same time. He appologised and made a note for our next stay, for the funeral, in 4 days time; that stay we would have our two children with us.

We upgraded to the Club level for our second stay as there is just no space in this hotel. I hope you know what I mean: there is no real lobby, the bar is small, there is no extra space and because I was giving the eulogy at my mother's funeral I thought it would be good to have the club lounge for me and or the kids to have some extra space. We were going to book it but we were surprised to find an email from the front desk manager saying that, due to our issues with the last stay, the upgrade would be complimentary. I was very relieved and sent an email back to thank her and told her that the access to the club lounge would be very much appreciated to have a place to get away from the people in the hotel "on holiday", prepare for the eulogy, and just have some quiet time as vacation was not the purpose of our trip.

I found out after we checked in that second time that the club lounge is not available and that we would be supplied vouchers to be used in the bar only for nibbles before dinner (can't spell h'or d'overs...see what I mean) and breakfast. I was upset and said I would never have booked the hotel if I had of known before hand. There was nothing on the hotel or SPG web site stating that the hotel was being renovated. So essentially my free upgrade was a tease, as I thought we were going to get something (space and quiet) that was not available. When we got to the room it was exactly the same size as the room we had 4 nights earlier except there were 2 double beds in the space of the king bed and only 1 night table. There was only seating for 2 people (easy chair and desk chair) so room service was not even an option. I was forced to go to the bar for our food which was loud and had no tables for a family of 4 to eat at. There were sofas and chairs for 4, but try eating at a cocktail table with an 8 year old boy who doesn't have extra good clothes to wear to his grandmother's funeral.

The morning of the funeral we were told we had to eat at the bar. I almost broke down in tears. It was noisy, no proper seats and the restaurant, right next door, was nearly empty. Ian Brown took pity on me and sat us in the restaurant. I will be forever greatful.

We left the hotel at 9:00 in the morning and got back at 3:30 and the housekeeper had just got to our room. To be clear, this was a club level room in a hotel that was no where near capacity. I just wanted to change and be with my family. She had not done anything in the room except take the tip we had left on the bed. She did not offer to come back so we could use the toilet or change, she just said she would "hurry up". I declined her offer and we had no choice but go to the bar. I have never been at a Sheraton, Westin, or other brand of hotel that did not service guests rooms until such a late hour. It was just icing on the cake for our stay at the Sheraton Ottawa.

You get my point. I just felt that they could have done much better. I was never greated with any sympathy, no acknowledgement that this wasn't a "fun" stay. I wasn't asking for special treatment, but I wasn't expecting to have to explain, over and over, that we were not there for a vacation either. There was no obvious understanding of our situation by the staff. Although when we checked out one staff member did whisper to another that we were the XX family and they nodded knowingly.....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
SheratonOttawa, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Hello 2plus2-9,

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with both myself and Jenn, our Guest Services Supervisor during your stay. The circumstances regarding your visit to Sheraton Hotel were unfortunate and we understand this was difficult time.

I would be more than happy to speak with you again regarding your experience and clear any additional concerns that you have.

Ira Saravesi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The only reason I cannot give this hotel a "5 star" rating is the ugly building and somewhat dated (although much improved) decor. Overlook that. Inside is a staff that goes beyond your expectations, THE best beds in the hotel industry and a Club Floor Lounge that is absolutely exceptional. In the lounge is Ian, who presents the breakfast buffet in the morning and appetizers in the evening with friendly and professional service. I stay here often and I look forward to going to the lounge for breakfast and chatting with Ian before staring my work day. The adjoining room doors are not well insulated for noise. The wonderful bed makes up for it - and really, that is the main reason why you are in a hotel. Great location too.

Room Tip: Higher rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SheratonOttawa, General Manager at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Hello CndnTravelers,

Thanks for your comments. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoy our comfortable beds and our new Club Lounge. Ian is one of the many superstars on our team that are dedicated to ensure you feel welcome and comfortable. I am happy to hear you continue to visit us when you are in Ottawa.

Look forward to your next visit with us.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel was great, they were really accommodating.
Shortly after checking in, they brought us a dog bed, drink and food bowls for our dogs. They also brought us poo bags.

The bed was comfy ~ thanks to the heavenly bed, or equivalent.
The room was a bit dark, but it was a stormy night in Ottawa. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello kiki_caprice,

We are very happy to hear your wonderful feedback on our "love that dog!" program and how convenient the amenities were for you while traveling with your beloved best friend. We are also pleased to hear you enjoyed the comfort of our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds.

We look forward to welcoming you and your pet back very soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

location great near shopping theatre and resturants. It is close to everything. Staff is friendly and very helpful. Great value for Money. I usually stay in this hotel because of the boutique style it reflects. Not extremely big but has all the usual 5 star hotel luxary. The rooms are clean and smell clean . I used the Club lounge when I stayed here. Great value .The lounge offers breakfast and snacks at dinner. in fact you can go up anytime to grab water, juce , coffee , fruits etc.

• Stayed January 2013
Hello Nancyha,

Thanks for the great review. I am pleased to hear you enjoy our hotel and especially our wonderful Club Lounge. We strive to make our guests feel welcome and at home.

We look forward to your next visit.

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel for business on numerous occassions. The staff go out of their way to make sure you have a pleasant and comfortable stay. Staff are very personable and friendly. Service is excellent! Rooms are clean and comfortable with very comfortable beds. Food has alway been delicous and the breakfast buffet is great.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Lisa B,

Thank you for providing such great feedback. We are truly proud of the level of service our team provides our valuable guests. I'm also pleased to hear that you enjoy the comfort of our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Ottawa.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

I stay here weekly as I am on a long term project in Ottawa. The hotel is fine but a bit outdated. Rooms are large and comfortable. Beds are huge and soft. Again just a bit outdated in decor.

Great location in downtown Ottawa. Across street from our offices - blocks from parliament hill. Close to market.

Biggest plus is staff. Friendly - yet not intrusive. Because I am Platinum I get access to club lounge. I tend to get there early (before breakfast service starts). The lounge host is extremely service oriented and helpful. He always rushes to get me a coffee and get some breakfast started (rather than going over he house hours and rules as most would do).

Bottom line is this isn't an impressive luxury hotel with a spectacular lobby and all the luxuries. It is, however, a great home away from home for a road warrior.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SheratonOttawa, General Manager at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Hello JPBCDN Traveller,

Thanks for taking time to provide feedback on your experiences at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel. I am pleased to hear that we are your "home away from home" and so closely situated to your local offices.

We apprieciate your great comments about our team, especially Ian our Club Lounge server who is fantastic at taking care of our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Ottawa, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We just stayed at the Sheraton for the first time on New Years Eve. The hotel is situated nicely to most of the activities that were happening. It is also close to some very nice restaurants. The rooms arent large but very comfortable and very nice beds. The decor is a little outdated. The staff very friendly. They have nice sitting room close to the bar that you can relax and read the newspaper or watch TV.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hello dowcomm,
I am pleased you enjoyed your New Years Eve experience at Sheraton Ottawa Hotel.

We are fortunate to be located right downtown, within walking distance to many of Ottawa's great restaurants and historic sites.

We hope to see you again this year!

Rob Roy

Been to Sheraton Ottawa Hotel? Share your experiences!