“What I expected” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Ottawa

You added Novotel Ottawa to your Saves list
Novotel Ottawa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   33 Nicholas Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1N 9M7, Canada (Byward Market Area)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Get our Winter offer!
Ranked #31 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Richmond Hill, Canada
“What I expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

There is little I can add that has not already been mentioned. The location was fantastic. Close to the Market and UOttawa (we attended their open house). I was disappointed in maintenance. The hallway carpet on the 3rd floor had multiple stains. In the room, the bottle opener was mounted on the inside frame of the bathroom door. You could clearly see a stain running down from the opener to the floor. I cleaned some of it just so I did not brush up against it by accident. See photo.

The breakfast buffet was well stocked with the usual standards.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Danny P, Front Office Manager at Novotel Ottawa, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Jangman,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at our Hotel.

I have noted your comments and will be sharing them with the concerned departments. Rest assured that the cleanliness and the upkeep of our facilities are of our top priorities.

We are currently in the planning process of a renovation project that would include guest rooms, wellness area and common spaces such as hallways.

I am glad that you found our location optimal as in the next few years this area will undergo a complete transformation to become a vibrant neighborhood, complementing the downtown area.

We hope to have you back as our guest once again in the future.

Novotel Ottawa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Norfolk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

I travelled to Ottawa with my family for a getaway. When we arrived, the service we had from the man (Oliver) at the front desk was fantastic. He appeared genuinely concerned to make our stay positive and provided lots of advice on attractions and places to eat-he is an asset to this hotel for sure! Initially we were very disappointed with our room…the room with two doubles is very small. We were given a larger room, although this cost a significant increase from the room with two doubles. The room was ok. No sheet on the bed which was weird, the bathroom door is translucent and made everyone uncomfortable to use it. The shower was nice and had good water pressure and adjustable height shower head-good for children. The pillows were uncomfortable. The hotel corridors were freezing cold. The pool is jointly shared with Les Suites Hotel next door and was always full of kids and never enough towels. The hot tub looked greenish and dirty. The entire pool/gym area is badly in need of a face lift. The corridors leading in to the pool have baseboard heaters that are so hot my daughter burned her leg when she accidentally touched it walking down the hall. It is now days later and the burn is still bad. In the middle of the night, some loud adults banged on our door and woke us all up. They knocked on most room doors on our floor and I’m sure somebody complained. This speaks to the clientele that you may encounter at the hotel. The biggest complaint I had is that the underground parking, which is a public lot, accesses the upper floors of the hotel directly. There is no security swipe to access the hotel from the parking lot, even in the middle of the night. They need to fix this to make the hotel safer. We had satisfactory service at the breakfast buffet. The breakfast food was mediocre at best, but reasonably priced considering the children are free. We did not eat any other meals at the hotel. Good location, you can walk to any major attractions. The lobby is modern and attractive. I wouldn’t stay here again, as there are better places to stay in Ottawa, but it was ok considering we spent as little time possible in the room.

Dear EllenJasmineRose,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay. I am sad to read that although you did rate your stay as positive, that you would not consider our hotel again for a future stay.

Rest assured that we are revising our security offer: Security guards are now posted overnight patrolling the parking garage, A new door lock system will be introduced in the next coming months that will also include a security feature on our elevators.

We are also studying a renovation project to include revamping the Gym and Swimming Pool areas.

I hope that if your future travel plans ever bring you back to the Ottawa area, you will reconsider and opt to stay with us again. Please do not hesitate to get in touch with me directly and I will be glad to help you personally with your reservation arrangements.

dannyponte@novotelottawa.com
Pickering, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Novotel review
My teenage daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights during March break. In a nutshell, the hotel met our basic needs.
In detail, there were some shortcomings, but none that truly impacted our stay or overall visit to Ottawa.
Check in was great and very quick we arrived shortly before noon and though check-in isn’t until 3pm, our room was ready and were in our room within minutes.
The ROOM: (2 double beds) though small, was very clean. I wouldn’t have wanted to stay in this room with our toddler, as it is very short on space and there wouldn’t be any floor space for a little one to plop down and play. Overall, still sufficient for our needs. Beds and bedding were very comfortable, however they don’t provide you with a top sheet. (Maybe we’re the odd ones who like to have a sheet to sleep with??). Regardless, it didn’t impact our sleep in any way. We had room 324. It was fine, but it faced inward onto the roof of the building, which isn’t what we would have liked. I don’t think there would have been an issue if wanted to move, but we couldn’t be bothered –we were here to visit the city, not stare out our hotel room. Still, I recommend asking for a room that faces the street. NOTE – we asked for an upper floor upon check in, but were told that the rooms on the upper floors don’t have 2 beds. Also, be prepared to pay for any local calls made from your room -$1/call.
LOCATION: This hotel is, in my opinion, ideally situated. It’s directly across from the Rideau Centre (shopping mall) and Byward Market (great little shops and tons of places to eat). We were less than a 5 minute walk to the Canal, Parliament Hill, etc. as well.
GUEST SERVICE: Staff was great. We needed bus direction and the GSA not only walked us through the route map, she printed the bus schedule for us so that (during the snow storm) we wouldn’t get caught waiting outside on our way back to the hotel. She also gave us the number to a taxi company and costed the trip for us –just in case. Upon checkout, which they pushed back to 2pm for us, she remembered where we had planned to visit and asked us how our experience was.
FOOD: we didn’t eat in the restaurant, but based on the menu, if well executed, should be pretty good and would appeal to the foodie, while still being approachable to all. It made the “Indie food guide” which, for a hotel restaurant is commendable in my books.” The reason we didn’t eat here, aside from having tons of great restaurants within walking distance, was that I was charged $11.50 for 2 teas one evening. Now, I understand that David’s Tea is more expensive than Tetley, but charging that much is absolutely unreasonable. I wonder if it would have been any cheaper if we hadn’t asked for it to go? Either way, that alone turned me off of spending more money there –pretty sad.
All in all, the Novotel Ottawa is a good choice if you’re looking for a reasonably priced, clean and well-located hotel –and Tim Horton’s and Second Cup are but a 2 minute walk away.

Room Tip: rooms with 2 beds are located on lower floors. Ask for one NOT facing inward/courtyard -as it's...
Dear Chunger2012,

Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay at Novotel Ottawa. It is always a pleasure to read positive comments of our guests after staying with us.

I am very proud of the Guest Services team, and to read that they went the extra steps to insure that your touring of the city was a breeze during a snowstorm reinforces how I feel about them.

I hope that you will recommend us to all your friends and family.

Oromocto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Can't beat the location for the rates of this hotel. Just a stone's throw from the Byward Market, the coolest neighbourhood in my humble opinion!

Our room was ok. Outdated, and we both went home with hacking coughs which is a concern, but we were on a budget and were so happy to be so close the action!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Melissita78,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us.

Our location is truly optimal, walking distance to the best attractions Ottawa has to offer:
Byward Market, Rideau Shopping Center, Sparks Street Mall, Rideau Canal, Parliament, various museums, etc.

Rest assured we are currently studying a renovation project that will include rooms and other common areas of the hotel.

We would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Regards,

Kelowna, British Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

It starts with spruce boughs and branches up near the hotel entrance as you walk in, an obvious fire code problem, and gets dumber from there. Not enough clerks so you stand for 10 minutes to check in or out. No business amenities, except 2 stand up computer pods, with no chairs in sight. Then it was a half mile zigzag hallway to the cramped room. So cramped that they have 2 half doors to the bath. No decaf. No luggage stand. Paper cups - - unwrapped. Room stunk like an old T-shirt. Blinding lights built into the headboard because there is no room for lamps. Smears on the mirrors. Stained drapes. A door stop to stub your toe on right in front of the fridge. No hair conditioner or other normal hygiene supplies like lotion or swabs. No microwave . TV screen was the size of my computer and didn't swivel. View from room was directly into a bank of windows and walls. No privacy. Loud A/C. Bed was semi-comfortable. The toilet was positioned in front of the sink counter so you needed to straddle it to use the hair dryer. Fitness room was basically a closet without windows and only a few machines. There was no convenience shop in the hotel for snacks etc. and no pop/water/snack machines at all. No concierge or offers to help. I left after one night of a 9 day stay, and they didn't care to even ask why. Like I said - dumb!

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Danny P, Front Office Manager at Novotel Ottawa, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Gj J,

Thank you for sharing your experience on your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincerest apologies if you found that our hotel did not meet your expectations.

I am certain that all our staff members did their best to accommodate your needs.

I also hope that you found accommodations that were to your liking.

If you would like to discuss about the quality of your stay, please do not hesitate to contact me.

dannyponte@novotelottawa.com
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Most reviews fir this hotel are positive. I will agree with most. Staff is courteous, lobby is contemporary, the pool is a definite plus (the main reason for us) , steps away from Rideau. I was reminded by the staff that it was a 3.5 star hotel to explain why there was no directory in the room for places to go or restaurants to chose from. Oh. They're really cutting down. I also built up frustration looking for the hotel restaurant menu. I call reception and they inform me they're sending someone. That person comes to our room, and shows us that the menu is hanging on the wall. Oh, once again. Here's my advice to management. Have staff ask customer if it's the first time. If answer is yes, have staff inform customer where menu can be found inside room, and that there are no tourist directory but that all can be found at the reception, also have staff say a word on parking costs. It just saves on frustration. For a 3.5 star hotel, the breakfast buffet is expensive. Very. For the outcome. In fact, my kids are not fussy but could not eat the melon that had either no taste or was distasteful. The lovely lady told us customers found them just fine. I guess we don't have the same taste palates. Finally, rooms are too small. Regardless, we chose this hotel for the pool and location, in that order. I think we paid too much after discussing with other customers.

Room Tip: There is no spa. Ask for higher floors for view of the city.
Dear fedig,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us.

Rest assured that we have taken your comments into consideration.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

I always get sincerely confused when I read some of these reviews on here. I have a pretty reasonable standard that I have to adhere to in order to travel comfortably. I would rather spend the extra and stay somewhere that doesn't wanna make me bash my head against a wall and sacrifice a day of my holiday in return.

The point is that I really liked the Novotel. After what can only be described as a "Tripadvisor misadventure" with a B&B close by, I rang Novotel at 2am and asked them to immediately book me a room for the following 6 nights. I got a great rate despite only giving less than 12 hours notice, and a nice King room.

Check in was a bit odd, I might admit. I was a bit stressed about the whole ordeal and the check in woman was a bit hostile, as it was 7:30am and she was being rude about it being too early to check in. Yes, thanks lady, I actually just wanted to put my bags in storage, as I didn't feel like carrying a bright purple bag around with me.

Whilst waiting for a room, I went and had a buffet breakfast. It was cute and nice. It was $17.50 and pretty on par for the price. It had scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes, eggs hollondaise, cereals, fruit, yogurt, muesli, juices, pastries, breads, the usual stuff. And you get an entire pot of coffee with it. I was pretty happy and the service was good.

I actually scored a room on the top floor with a nice view, which was pretty cool, seeing as it was so last minute. My room was nice. A big king bed, a nice bathroom, warm. What you would expect from a Novotel.

Now I may be an Australian who lives in Manhattan and is used to small living spaces, but I do not get what everyone is complaining about. My room is a pretty standard size for a hotel. I mean it's not HUGE, but you can move around comfortably and not get annoyed.

All in all, I am happily sitting in my king bed right now, feeling rested and really enjoying the Novotel. I would definitely recommend it. Especially if you want a great location.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear NickyFM,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at Novotel Ottawa.

Please accept my apologies if we were not able to check you in at 7:30 am. I am happy though that you did enjoy our breakfast offering. I will certainly let our F&B department know about your comment, I'm sure that this will make their day.

I am very pleased that Novotel Ottawa was able to turn around what started as a negative experience elsewhere, into a very positive one.

Once again, thank you for your wonderful review of your stay at Novotel Ottawa. I hope we will be welcoming you again in the near future.

Novotel Ottawa

Been to Novotel Ottawa? Share your experiences!