“Great service, great price!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Minto Suite Hotel

Save Saved
You added Minto Suite Hotel to your Saves list
Minto Suite Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   185 Lyon Street North, Ottawa, Ontario K1R 7Y4, Canada (Byward Market Area)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #27 of 67 hotels in Ottawa
“Great service, great price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Minto Suites for Valentines Day and I was truly empressed. When I first entered the hotel I was greeted by a bell person who helped us with our bags, very nice man with an accent. The girl at the front desk was lovely, after check in she handed me a sweet valentines day card with a few chocolate kisses. What a Gret touch! The room was a perfect size and clean. The furniture is older but still in very comfortable. There is a charge for Internet but it is comparable to other hotels in he city. Love the location and price, definitely will be back!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
MintoSuiteHotel, General Manager at Minto Suite Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Minto Suite Hotel. It was a pleasure to read our team made such a terrific impression - creating inspiring experiences is always our main goal. Thank you for a wonderful review full of kind words about our customer service, location, suite, and price! We look forward to welcoming you back!

General Manager, Customer Experience – Hospitality

723 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The service at this hotel is top notch. EVERYONE was fantastic. Parking was very easy. There are several places to eat in the same building but many are closed during the weekend. There are dozens of great restaurants nearby. We stayed in a two bedroom, two bathroom suite. It had a great layout for families. The den area was very big. It also had a table large enough for six of us to sit comfortably. Before our visit, I saw several reviews complaining that the hotel needed updating. In my opinion, it had everything we needed. Apartment size refrigerator, sink, dishwasher, stove, and washer/dryer. There were plenty of dishes (and the cleaning staff even ran the dishwasher for us a couple of times). It didn't have granite countertops or hardwood floors, but everything worked well and was clean. There was more than enough storage space.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
MintoSuiteHotel, General Manager at Minto Suite Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review of your stay with us. Thank you for your wonderful compliments about our suites, location and service. You touched on what I think is our real strength - great customer service. Our team works hard to provide each guest an inspiring stay! They will be thrilled to read this. We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back soon.

St. Albert, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed at the Minto from jan 7-12th and was disappointed, the room was outdated and the service was just ok. The gym and pool were a nice size though. I don't believe I'll go back. I ate at the hotel restaurant and the food had no taste and it was expensive.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your most recent stay at Minto Suite Hotel. I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay. It is important to receive both positive and negative feedback in order to allow us to learn and create a more inspiring stay for our valued guests. Because of feedback like yours, we are currently looking at updating our suite furnishings. I have also shared your feedback regarding your meal at Prime 360 with their management team. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Even with late arrival (around midnight), as requested, an upper level suite was available for us. The suite was large (1000 sq ft) and more than met the needs of my family. It was clean and if one needed to stay in Ottawa for an extended period, I could easily see myself staying there. The only criticism (and why not a rating of 5) is that the appliances are old and need to be replaced...what I used worked fine but it's time to invest in the appliances guys.

Room Tip: upper floors are quiet - you hear no road noise - was on 19th floor and that was fine.
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am glad to know that our suites worked for your family! Thank you for sharing your kind comments, and for recommending our hotel to long staying travelers. Thank you also for your suggestions regarding the appliances. We hope to host you and your family the next time your travels bring you to Ottawa.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Pros:
Great location within walking distance of Supreme Court, Parliament Hill, Byward market, the Mint, Sparks St. and Rideau canal.
Excellent room configurations.
We stayed in a two bedroom suite with three beds and a pullout couch. Two TV's. Two bathrooms. Kitchen with all the appliances and a regular sized fridge. Perfect for a family of 5. The room was quiet and on the 15th floor, insulated from street noise. Temperature was controllable and it was simple to find a decent temperature. The kitchen was handy and we brought breakfast food with us to cut down on the cost of a visit and to lengthen the amount of time we could spend at attractions.
The pool was large and everyone enjoyed their time in it.

Cons:
First and foremost, it's my opinion that this hotel is trying to get by with too few staff.
I booked weeks in advance, confirmed days in advance and showed up at 4pm (hotel has a 3pm check in). No room was ready. Gentleman at the front desk couldn't even say how long it would take to be ready... maybe 15 minutes... maybe 45... Not a great answer. Additionally, he clearly was not empowered to do anything about situations like these. He glanced hopefully at the desk clerk beside him who was apparently his senior. She wordlessly shoved two "free appetizer with purchase of a meal" tickets over to him which he then handed to me. My wife even joked that this isn't going to do a family of 5 much good. No relief offered. Ouch. Give your front desk people the latitude to make apologies that are meaningful and that have actual value.

On day 1 we returned to the hotel after a day out and realized no one had been in our room to clean at all. No big deal, I wasn't that upset really and just wanted some fresh towels. I call down to the front desk... rings forever... bounces to switchboard, I ask for the desk, bounces back, rings forever... back to switchboard. I explained to the operator that housekeeping hadn't been by and I just wanted towels... Eventually a guy came up with some towels. Looked either like maintenance or security. Whoever he was, he just shoved them towards me and ran off. No explanation or apology.

Night two we went down to the pool after dinner. There was a crowd of guests waiting around in the pool desk area. No towels, no clerk. I guess when the towels run out, the one and only person at the desk has to go fetch more.

Make sure you pack some kind of slippers the floors in change rooms don't drain and are gross and wet.

The "concierge" book near the front desk with Restaurant selections is woeful. At least half have no prices listed, which, unless some business associate is paying... is a red flag.

For such a large hotel, it's very strange that the parking lot isn't actually accessible through the hotel. You have to traipse out across the food court or across the mezzanine with all your bags to get to the other elevator that accesses the underground parking lot.

I was happy to get free wifi with my package deal... but to spend $46 on parking for 3 days seems a bit steep for Ottawa.

Last gripe (or maybe opinion) is that a hotel aimed mid to upper market and marketing itself as a family friendly place to stay should rethink it's choice of main restaurant being an upper echelon steak house. There was little chance of me stepping foot in there when it's just my wife and I, much less when I'm with my whole family.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 15th floor in an end room furthest from the elevators. Very quiet. I would think a...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I was pleased to read your comments regarding our location, suite and suite features, as well as our pool. I was disappointed to learn that you encountered some challenges during your stay. It is very important for us to hear constructive criticism and the comments you made regarding the service you received have been brought to the attention of our Director of Guest Experience. We have a tremendous reputation for delivering value and friendly service and I sincerely hope we have the chance to exceed your expectations in the future.

Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

The family suite at the minto is great. 2 br, 2 bath, sitting/ dining area and kitchen, as well as an entree.

Close to Ottawa museums

What I don't understand their wifi charge, a whopping $11 per 24 hrs. Honestly.....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
MintoSuiteHotel, General Manager at Minto Suite Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Minto Suite Hotel. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your 2 bedroom suite, as well as our great location. While we do charge a fee to access wireless internet in our suites, I believe you will find this is among the best in value for downtown four diamond hotels. We also offer our guests complimentary internet access on our two iMacs available 24/7 in our front lobby and business centre. We hope to host you again when your travels bring you back to Ottawa.

General Manager, Guest Experience – Hospitality
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

On our way to Montreal we stopped over for a night at this lovely hotel. Very ideally situated in the middle of the city. The hotel offered us free bicycles and all four of us cycled for almost 2 hours and discovered the city. The suite had a room with a queen size bed and the living room had a sofa come bed where my elder son slept comfortably. It also had a master bath and a toilet, a separate ironing room and a small kitchenette. Well what more can you ask. Way to go Minto Suite.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
MintoSuiteHotel, General Manager at Minto Suite Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the terrific review of your stay at Minto Suite Hotel last summer! You’re correct – our downtown location is ideal, especially with our free bicycle rentals! It is the perfect way to discover the city. Thank you for your comments about our hotel and suites. We hope to welcome you back again soon to our Four Diamond property.

David Zaltzman
General Manager, Customer Experience – Hospitality

Been to Minto Suite Hotel? Share your experiences!