“Great deal and great location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Minto Suite Hotel

Save Saved
You added Minto Suite Hotel to your Saves list
Minto Suite Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   185 Lyon Street North, Ottawa, Ontario K1R 7Y4, Canada (Byward Market Area)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #22 of 66 hotels in Ottawa
Victoria, Canada
“Great deal and great location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Was so happy with my week staying at Minto Suites! It came recommended to me for a great location within walking of everywhere and it was true how convenient it was to where I needed to go...
Rooms were clean and HUGE! I shared a 2 bedroom suite with 3 other girlfriends and we had a lot of space for all of us with a kitchen and 2 bathrooms and super views!
Loved being able to walk down to the basement to get my haircut, get good coffee, pick up a bottle of wine and snacks...so convenient!!
Would stay here every visit to Ottawa!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
MintoSuiteHotel, General Manager at Minto Suite Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

I appreciate your excellent review of your stay at Minto Suite Hotel. As you mentioned, our location is perfect – we are just a short walk away from Parliament, the Rideau Centre and several other attractions. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your two bedroom suite with super views! I do appreciate your recommendation and I look forward to hosting you again on your next trip to Ottawa!

General Manager, Customer Experience – Hospitality

695 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Mascouche, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Great place in Downtown Ottawa, parking price is Ok, 19$ for a interior spot (parking on streets in Ottawa is nearly impossible)

Room was pretty quiet, nicely decorated, bathroom a bit small... Everything was clean!!!

Service at the lobby was bilingual (French-English), very fast... We did ask for a crib when we made reservation, they even put a high chair and a diaper trash can for free in the room before we arrived!

The pool and lockers were especially clean, with life jackets for kids...

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. I was happy to read your wonderful compliments about our suites, pool & fitness centre, and our customer service. Your comments are a great example of the customer service our staff works hard to provide our guests on a daily basis. Thank you again for reviewing your stay with us here along with the overall experience of the hotel and we hope to be able to host you again next time you visit Ottawa!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed at Minto for a month. It is nice place. Well furnished room (I was in a one bed room suite), central location in downtown Ottawa, good underground parking, etc. but the management does not believe in customer relationships.

As soon as I moved in I read a note saying they will not give basic necessities like toilet paper, and other consumables once it is finished, Being new to Ottawa I had a go around looking for a grocery store only to realize that house keeper would refill everything. The house keeper was always leaving extra toilet paper rolls, napkins, etc., and whatever I bought from the grocery was a waste. I also wasted an hour hunting for a grocery and parking spot near it.

The letter they sent me before I checked out was also very customer unfriendly. It said so many things scary, listing charges for everything if left undone, such as cleaning the refrigerator, trash, so on.

They charged my credit card even before I checked in. My check-in was delayed by 2 days but they would not adjust my charges even though I had told them about the delay several days in advance.

The room was fine though the HVAC system was noisy. I like cooler nights but when I changed the thermostat down to a cooler setting it would start a loud running noisy motor that ran entire night. Obviously their basic setting was for heating and to cool the room it started an air-conditioner that ran all night long. After two nights I decided to stay with the heating only because the noise was not helping me sleep. Cooler setting at nights would also save energy for the hotel but that was not in their mind. They call it a eco-rated hotel but I guess that is just talk or they paid somebody to get their LEED rating.

Internet was another problem. They used datavalet services. It would disconnect me every night and I had to re-connect daily. The speed was sometimes extremely low that was frustrating. Internet was free (charges included with my room charges and paid in advance) but I did not understand why I had to re-connect every morning.

Weekends were loud and noisy with hockey people. Parking was difficult and I had to go down to lower basement levels to find a vacant spot. Most parking slots were too narrow and difficult to park because people did not park their cars centered on the slot.

I do have a plus side for my stay. My uncle from Toronto visited me on a weekend and we used the couch for him to sleep. He said it was nice. He did not have to rent another room for two nights that he stayed with me. The front desk gave me a parking card too so that my uncle could park the car in the basement.

I never used their breakfast and so I ca not comment. I did use the gym. It OK like any normal gym. TV was OK with very limited number of channels. Obviously planned for catering with Canadian travelers in mind. They could add more international channels..

They should replace the elevators. They are slow and long waiting with frequent outages. Twice I was asked to go up using a service elevator because all elevators were out of service.

Room Tip: Exit or enter elevators on level 2 to go to parking elevators. It is quicker than using the main lob...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a thorough review of your recent stay at the Furnished Suites at Minto Suite Hotel. I would first like to thank you for your kind words about our furnished suite and location, but was disappointed to read that you experienced some issues with our amenities. Your comments have been shared with our maintenance team regarding the cooling system within your suite, and I can assure you that they will address them immediately. I will also have our internet connection speed checked to ensure everything is working properly. I would also like to apologize for the delay in service with our elevators, as we currently have one elevator out of service for modernization. With high demand on weekends, especially during Winterlude, there have been longer delays for elevator service. Through comments such as yours, we are continually able to improve for future guest experiences. Feel free to contact me directly if you wish to discuss any of your concerns. I hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back for a more inspiring stay.

Saskatchewan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

This is an good hotel for the location. Can walk to the House of commons and downtown area. Rideu mall and market are great to check out.

Good Restaurants around. Fancy ones and cheap stuff if you travling.

Had the breakfast at hotel on my last day in my room. Breakfast was excellent.

The little store downstaris was handy for getting drinks and snacks for the room.

Only down side and why i only give it a three and average rating was i didn't recived my message that a friend left for me as she called when i was out. Lucky we met up and she told me she try called.

I was staying for fun not business but i thinks thats a major over look as some people who stay are there for business and may have meetings and work related stuff to do and if there miss an important message thats could be major problems.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

The Minto Suite Hotel team would like to thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your last stay with us. Thank you for your comments regarding our location, as we are just a short walk away from the major attractions. I apologize for the inconvenience of not receiving your message. I will speak with Guest Experience Manager to ensure that our team is following the proper procedure if submitting guest messages. Thank you again for posting your review and we hope to host you on your next visit to Ottawa.

GTA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We booked a stay at the Minto back in October 2012 for Winterlude 2013. Booked early in anticipation that it would be a busy weekend in Ottawa with Winterlude and the Family Day weekend. Made a minor change in December to the reservation via their 800 customer service line and received an email confirmation that our change was made.

We arrived at the hotel on February 15th, only to find out they did not have our reservation on file. I showed the clerk (who was very friendly) my confirmation and she was able to book me a room. I asked her if it was a Queen Suite as I had previously booked and she confirmed it was. We headed up to the room looking forward to a great weekend. When we arrived in our room, we found it was NOT a Queen Suite with a separate bedroom as we had booked. Sigh. I called down to the front desk and explained that this was not the room we wanted-we wanted a separate bedroom as we had our kids with us and wanted to additional privacy. The girl on the phone was able to change us into the room we wanted and advised someone would be up with new keys for us. Great..

The fellow arrived with the new keys. Abruptly handed them to my husband and took off. Did not offer to assist us in moving our luggage down to the new room, no apology for the mix up, nothing. Not too impressed. We grabbed our suitcases and headed down to our new room. This room was exactly what we wanted and suited us just fine.

Saturday became a bit of a nightmare with the elevators. We waited 10 minutes for an elevator to take us to the main floor and still could not get onto an elevator (only 2 actually stopped on our floor). At that point we decided to take the stairs (8 floors). When we arrived on the first floor, we found the door to be locked. Grr. We banged on the door until someone answered. The gentleman who answered the door explained that the door actually came next to the front desk and tried to make us go back up and take a different route. We refused due to the hassels we had already experienced and he finally let us pass, but in a very curt tone told us we were not to use this passage again. There was no making on the door on the 8th floor to indicate this was not a stairway that could be used. All of Saturday was the same thing with the elevators-waiting for long periods before being able to get on. One of them actually stopped on the 4th floor and would not go any further-the doors only opening halfway.

The adventure continued on Sunday. We had been out all day long and returned to our room at 5:00pm to find that it had not been made up. The pullout bed was still out, the garbage was still in the room, etc. I called down to the desk again to ask if they do not make up rooms on Sundays and was told that they had been full up Saturday night and are running behind. They would get to our room "soon". We finally had a knock on our door from housekeeping at about 5:40 to make up the room. We told them we would be out in about 20 minutes as we were just heading out for dinner. The room was partially made up by the time we returned-the pull out was still out, but the sheets had been made, the kitchen was tidied but no coffee filters were replenished and the garbage was taken out.

Check out was smooth. I was surprised to find I was charged for the local call we made for pizza delivery (I did not check this previously as I have never had to pay for local calls when staying at a hotel and did not expect to do so this time) so that was a bit of a disappointment.

The parking situation was adequate. Again, given that the hotel owns the parking garage, I would think they could comp the parking fees for their guests, but I guess they are trying to make an extra buck.

I did find it convenient that there was a 24 hour market in the building for supplies. Given the convenience factor, the prices were reasonable (don't mistake that to mean they were cheap-anything but-however for the convenience they were acceptable).

The kids enjoyed the pool. It seems we were lucky we got there when we did on Saturday because as we were leaving, other guests who wanted to use the pool had to put their names on a waiting list to get in. Another inconveneince (I understand why they have to limit the number of people in the pool, but it is still a pain especially for the kids).

Overall, the hotel was okay. I might have been a bit more enthusiastic if I hadn't experienced the issues above. I'm undecided at this point if I would return to the Minto. As I said the room suited us fine. The location of the hotel was great-walking distance to many places (only 20 minutes to the Nature Museum, 15 to the Byward Market). I'm really just annoyed at the inconveniences that we experienced during our weekend. I will have to think about booking into the Minto again.

Room Tip: Try to get room away from the elevators. The high traffic near the elevators can cause some issues...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for submitting such a thorough and helpful review. I would first like to thank you for choosing Minto Suite Hotel to spend Winterlude with your family. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience regarding your reservation, as well as the customer service you received. I can appreciate that you expect more from Minto Suite Hotel, and I assure you that this is not typical. Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention, so I can communicate with all departments involved and ensure proper procedures are in place. We have a tremendous reputation for delivering unsurpassed value and friendly service and I sincerely hope we have the chance to create an inspiring stay for you in the future.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Good location, lots of restaurants around and a grocery store downstairs. Covered parking. Nice touch having the green apples in the lobby. The rooms were very well equipped but the couch and chair not very comfortable, but I just grabbed a couple of the pillows from the bedroom. More hotels should use faux leather furniture and have wood flooring it's so much easier to clean and lasts longer. The bedrooms were well furnished and the bedding was nice and comfortable. There is a ton of storage space in the suite, we stayed in the one bedroom suite two double beds. We were very happy with our room, the service and amenities of the hotel and I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review of Minto Suite Hotel with others on TripAdvisor. It was a pleasure to read your compliments about our great location and spacious suites. I would like to thank you for your suggestions regarding the in suite amenities and furnitur, because of comments like yours we are looking at updating our suite furnishings in the near future as we have recently done with the sofa beds and flat screen TVs. We are pleased to hear that your stay was made that much more enjoyable as a result of our commitment to service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon, and thank you again for your recommendation.

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed in a Studio suite as 2 adults and 2 kids and it was perfect for our little family. The beds were comfy, and even the sofa bed was pretty good for a sofa bed. The pool and fitness centre was the best part of the hotel and a nice warm retreat from the cold weather outside. This place was definitley good value for our money. The staff were very warm and friendly. We ordered room service one night just for the experience, and was quite happy with the service and quality of the food. The hotel is within a nice walk of the tourist attractions or a cheap cab ride away.

Room Tip: During peak times, it's difficult getting on the crowded elevators if your room is located on th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
MintoSuiteHotel, General Manager at Minto Suite Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Minto Suite Hotel. It was a pleasure to read your review, as it was full of kind words about our comfy beds, pool & fitness centre and our friendly staff. Our staff review guest posts on TripAdvisor often, and your review made our day! Thank you for sharing your experience, we look forward to welcoming you back again!

David Zaltzman,
General Manager, Customer Experience - Hospitality

Been to Minto Suite Hotel? Share your experiences!