“So convenient” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lord Elgin

You added Lord Elgin to your Saves list
Lord Elgin
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Elgin St, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5K8, Canada (Byward Market Area)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay & Save-up to 25% off
Ranked #21 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Toronto
“So convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

We were going to Ottawa for the weekend to skate on the Rideau Canal and found a great rate here. We took public transit to & from the airport, one bus straight from the airport. We had asked for early check in and the staff was super, we were in our room around 10am, and out on the ice before noon. Location was so perfect, across the road from the Rideau Canal and we walked to the Byward market, the National Gallery and the Parliament buildings. We enjoyed the pool and the hot tub after skating and walking for the day. I thought there was a sauna, but never found one. The gym was well equipped, The staff very friendly. The attached Starbucks was closed for renovations, but this meant we discovered The Scone Witch, a local independent coffee shop that was around the corner. We followed staff recommendations for dinner and they could not have been more right. I will stay here again anytime I feel like tripping around Ottawa

Room Tip: Rooms without a view are cheaper, and I want a hotel to sleep in, I'll go outside to get my view...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
meelker, Director of Sales at Lord Elgin, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear WesM;

Thank you so much for the great feedback. We are so happy to hear you had a great Ottawa visit and that our location was so convenient for you.

The saunas, by the way, are inside the change rooms in the fitness centre - one each inside the men's and women's change rooms. I am sorry you did not have a chance to take advantage of them after your skate. It makes for a great ending to a busy day.

We hope you will have the opportunity to visit us again.

With much appreciation,

LORD ELGIN HOTEL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Cambridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

We stayed at The Lord Elgin during Winterlude and had a great time.

The staff at the hotel were friendly and very helpful.We had a large comfortable room.

The hotel is centrally located and within easy walking distance of many attractions.

We'll stay at The Lord Elgin again!

Room Tip: No need to book a room overlooking the park.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
We appreciate the time taken to share your feedback and am so happy to hear you enjoyed Winterlude and the Lord Elgin Hotel.

We hope you will be back again next year, if not sooner.

Kind regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

I was in town for a Senators game and ended up staying for two nights at the end of February. Right from the minute my friend and I arrived we were treated to tremendous service by the valet, polite and friendly staff at the desk and a warm and comfortable room. Excellent location. (mere steps from parliament hill and the canal) Will use again next time I'm in Ottawa.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I would like to share my recent experience at the Lord Elgin hotel, which was a mind-blowing experience and one that we will remember for the rest of our lives.

This is a special place for my fiancé and me. The first time we met for coffee was in the Starbucks attached to this hotel, 4 years ago. I always had it in the back of my mind that if I were to propose to her, it would (1) be a surprise, and (2) in the place we first met. Unfortunately, this coffee shop has been closed for renovations for a few months, which presented a challenge. Fortunately, the staff at the Lord Elgin was more than up to the challenge.

After waiting a couple of months, I contacted Ann, the director of sales and marketing, to ask about when the coffee shop would be reopening. She told me that there had been some delays, but loved my idea, and offered her help if there was anything she could do. I had some ideas and so did she. I wanted to share how it all went down thanks to Ann, and the rest of the staff of the hotel.

We arrived at the hotel at 7pm, and I was greeted by the valet. "Here for a coffee?" he asked, with a slight wink that L (my soon-to-be fiancé) didn't even notice. We walked into the hotel, greeted by the bellman, who escorted us down the hall (L thoroughly confused at this point). As we approached the darkened coffee shop, you could already start to see the glow of the candles ...

At this point, I should probably acknowledge that getting a proposal in a Starbucks, much less one under renovation, is not everyone's idea of romance. So perhaps I should describe what it looked like inside. In addition to the candlelight, the staff had cleaned up the entire area, and cleared everything away, except for a single table with a white tablecloth. Standing next to it was the most beautiful bouquet of red roses, and a silver bucket filled with ice and a bottle of champagne.

It was here that I popped the question, and she said yes! After enjoying the champagne, it was off to a lovely dinner, but not before getting a round of applause from the hotel staff, who had gathered in the lobby to be the first to congratulate us on our engagement.

I can't say enough to Ann and the staff of this beautiful and historic hotel for making this day so special for us. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel and its wonderful staff, for any type of event, big or small. As you can see, they really go the extra mile!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear David;

Let me first say - Congratulations!!

It was so kind of you to write this review about your special evening at the hotel. We were so happy to be part of your plan for your proposal and all our staff were in on the secret to ensure it all went smoothly. I am thrilled it all worked out.

Our new and improved Starbucks will open this spring.... you have to come back and drop by to say hello.

With best wishes,

Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

It's the little things that really bring down an experience in a hotel, and often, those things are found in the bathroom. Like the toilet handle being tucked under a cabinet and shelf nearly impossible to reach. Or cheap fixtures on the shower, and hot water that could easily scald an adult, much less a child. Then there were the floors. There was no padding under that carpet, and there were strange divots detectable even when walking sock-footed around the room.

On the plus side, the staff were friendly and efficient, the food in the bar/restaurant was good, and the wi-fi and business center were good and reliable. The location and view over the square were also very nice. I just wish the Lord Elgin hadn't cut corners on updating its rooms.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear you enjoyed our location and staff, as well as the restaurant.

We are in the process of picking out some new décor for our corridors and guestrooms. It will be lovely to see the final plans.

We hope you will have an opportunity to return to the Lord Elgin and witness all the wonderful updates.

With best wishes,

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Ottawa is just lovely - there is loads to see and do.This hotel is right in the centre and in walking distance of all of the main attractions, Parliament Hill in particular is seconds away. The check in staff were really helpful and the room was clean and tidy. The location is the best thing about the hotel but it is also a really pleasant place to stay. Large rooms and a well decorated hotel. The bar staff were really friendly and nothing was too much trouble. There is cheaper parking over the road so use that but apart from that a really good place to stay!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear JackieB;

Thank you so much for the lovely feedback. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed Ottawa. I have lived here all my life and have to say, it's a fabulous place to call home.

Your feedback will be shared with all staff, who love the encouragement.

With much appreciation,

Stoney Creek, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I stayed here for a conference between Feb 18-20. This is my second stay at this hotel for business. Staff are always friendly and accommodating. The room was smaller then the last one I had. The room itself showed signs of aging and was in need of an update. The size of the bathrooms are very small and I'm a petite. I'm not sure how a larger person would even move around in there.
The tv was a large flat screen and the desk was very handy.
The room itself was clean.
I wouldn't recommend the restaurant. Service was very slow and the food was bland.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
We do appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear you enjoyed our location and the great staff at the Lord Elgin.

We are now reviewing plans for updates to our guestrooms and corridors - all very exciting!! I hope you will have a chance to visit again and see them first hand.

Kind regards,

LORD ELGIN HOTEL

Been to Lord Elgin? Share your experiences!