“Great location downtown” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lord Elgin

You added Lord Elgin to your Saves list
Lord Elgin
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Elgin St, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5K8, Canada (Byward Market Area)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #18 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Great location downtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

This beautiful hotel was located conveniently close to the convention center and downtown area. It was my first time in Ottawa and was able to walk to the Parliament Buildings, Rideau Centre, Rideau Canal, Byward Market and many excellent restaurants. The room was spacious and clean, and I appreciated amenities like the Keurig and iPod dock. The front desk was very friendly and helpful. I only ate at Cafe 41 once, for breakfast, but was not impressed with the value considering the expense. The only downside to the rooms, in my opinion, was that the walls were quite thin and one morning I was loudly awaken by my early-riser neighbour. However, it was an overall great experience, and I will likely stay here again on my next trip to Ottawa.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Eceptional customer service. My room was adjacent to contsruction work which was loud and went on through the night keeping me awake. When I informed the front-desk they immediately transferred me to a larger room situated on a quieter floor. the following 2 2 nights I had a restful and uninterrupted sleep.

Room Tip: Definitely choose higher floors.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I have stayed here twice over the past year and my experience was consistent. Comfortable and clean, quiet rooms; large LED TVs. Staff in all sectors are friendly and genuinely helpful. Room service menu is somewhat narrow, but the kitchen was VERY accommodating to alter menu items to meet requests. Pool is a bit small but at least they one and it is clean. Location is very central.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
st.John's, Newfoundland and Labrador
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

nothing overly fancy. but it is not a chain and they took extremely good care of me during an arduous two week stay. clean comfortable and service is excellent. the location is perfect. a minute form the canal and in the heart of downtown and sites. Lovely art deco design to the building. i would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: you want to get a room that is the front facing the park.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
meelker, Director of Sales at Lord Elgin, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thank you for the lovely review and recognition of the service extended by our staff. We have a great team and are very proud of them.

We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

With best wishes,

Mile End, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

This hotel was chosen by Insight Vacations as an ideal place to stay. It was in a great location and was easy for us to check out the nearby attractions during our free time. Good service and pleasant decor made our one night stay here pleasant. As the hotel is in a good location it was easy for us to find our way around during our free time in the evening. Our room was clean and well appointed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for the glowing review. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your time in Ottawa and your stay with us and that you were able to take in all the highlights of the city.

With much appreciation,

Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

The Lord Elgin is ideally situated in the heart of Ottawa, and I have stayed there quite a few times on business. However, this time I found it looked a bit tired. What I do like is the open lounge area with roaring fireplace; however the business centre is attached, and the adjoining wall is open for about the top two feet at least. Thus I found it hard to concentrate on work I was doing because of the chat going on in the lounge.

My room had a good sized bathroom and bath but there were signs of mould on the tiles and caulking.

The staff were pleasant and efficient. It was overall an OK stay but I had a much better experience at the Chateau Laurier the previous night at the exact same price.

Room Tip: 507 had a view of another building close by - not recommended.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
meelker, Director of Sales at Lord Elgin, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us.

We will be refreshing our lobby over the holidays - new carpet and furniture, which we are all very excited about. I am sure you will love the fresh new look.

I have shared your comments with our Executive Housekeeper who takes this feedback very seriously. She typically receives high marks for the cleanliness of the hotel and will inspect this room immediately.

We do hope you will be back again to witness our updated lobby look....we can't wait!

With best wishes,

Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

This hotel is well located with lots of attractions, shops and restaurants within walking distance. The University of Ottawa is a short walk across the canal. The staff are very attentive and professional. Rooms are clean and well furnished but quite ordinary. The beds are comfortable but they skimp a bit on the linens. The heating in my room was inadequate; a small baseboard heater under the window that only worked at the same time as the fan blowing cool air into the room. This is obviously more of an issue in winter than the other seasons. The three meals that I ate in the hotel were uninspired to the point where I would likely look for other options on future visits. The fitness room is good; well equipped, clean and bright.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions following your recent stay. We were pleased to learn that the service was attentive and that you found the rooms clean and comfortable.

All feedback is reviewed weekly with our departmental managers and line staff. We take it very seriously and do make adjustments to our service delivery to address all issues brought forward. Your comments regarding the food service will be discussed at length this week accordingly. We would appreciate more specific feedback and invite you to contact us directly at ameelker@lordelgin.ca to discuss.

We hope you will grant us another opportunity to welcome you back.

With kind regards,

LORD ELGIN HOTEL

Been to Lord Elgin? Share your experiences!