“Fantastic Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lord Elgin

You added Lord Elgin to your Saves list
Lord Elgin
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Elgin St, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5K8, Canada (Byward Market Area)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #18 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Fantastic Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I chose the Lord Elgin based on location, value and many recommendations from friends. Upon arriving we were greeted by very friendly staff. Within minutes the car was unloaded and we were checked in. The location was perfect. We arrived Friday afternoon, parked the car and didn’t use it again until we left Sunday afternoon. Everything was within walking distance. Location. Location. Location. It couldn’t have been more convenient.

As we anticipated there are parts of the hotel that are filled with old world charm and other parts that could use some updating. We had a park facing room with two queen beds. The room itself was very standard. The beds were comfortable and the room was very quiet. The décor was a little dated but was in line with the hotel. We loved the Keurig coffee maker and enjoyed the view of Confederation Park. A major con was that the linen/towels had seen better days. Our towels were quite thin and rough. Also the toiletries provided were minimal. There was soap, shampoo and body cream along with a shoe shine sponge and nothing else. No conditioner which to me is a basic item.

Having a Starbucks on ground was a major bonus. We didn’t eat in the restaurant but had some good drinks in the evening.

I would stay there again as the location and staff are wonderful. I might bring my own towels though.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Victoria Capital Regional District, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Selected The Elgin because of its mid 1900's architecture and grandeur look from blocks away. Great staff, very helpful but had a problem with keycard which didnt work, even the maids. Returned to reception and was given another key card that didnt work, even a supervisor of housekeeping could'nt help, so now have wasted 30 mins getting into a room. We requested a standard room with reservation but now insisted a front room which we got and was very pleased. Needed to check my flights so turned on computer and could'nt get online. Now calling several people and Global Hotel Suites who handles hotel WIFI's could help as poor internet signal for the next two nights. The convenience of WIFI in my room was important. I dont compare this hotel to Chateau Laurier its a Fairmont but needs new decor to make it its grand old self. Stay was good due to great location, no car needed but would not stay again.

Room Tip: Dont book a standard room all look at a building at back and rooms are dark. Pay $15 more for front...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

My review may be a little tainted after staying at the Westin Hotel, No body has better beds and linen than the Westin. The view we had in that room was breathtaking.....however it is a much newer hotel and does not have the history that they Lord Elgin does. As expected, there are parts of the hotel that are beautiful ( the exterior and main hallways) and there are parts of the hotel that are very dated ( rooms) and worn ( carpeting) however, it is located in an excellent location, fast elevators, a Starbucks, and the service was excellent as well. Loved the valet parking. Not sure I will go back again.... but really enjoyed the experience of being there... $$ for $$ the Westin was cheaper and more luxurious.

Room Tip: Definately choose a room with front room exposure. The Windows are very small but better than lookin...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Koh Samui
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Most tourist attractions within walking distance, clean rooms and helpful staff. Also good because the building is recognisable from a distance when you are wandering around. Friendly staff and an on-site Starbucks if you like that place. A bit dated but well maintained.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Edmonton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We came from Edmonton, Alberta to attend a Wedding and visit Family we haven't seen in many years.
Hotel was great, they accept dogs! We had two rooms, one was on a different floor ( pets had to be booked on the 2nd floor), The hotel staff checked and a room beside ours was available, they gave us that room, at a decent rate although it cost more . Great Customer Service! The Hotel was central to downtown, everything was in walking distance.....Parliament Buildings, Byward Market.......beautiful City of Ottawa

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Goodlands, Manitoba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My family was at the Lord Elgin for my sister's wedding. Our rooms were luxurious, the service was excellent, and the food was delicious. I especially enjoyed the breakfast buffet. The staff were very helpful. Since I've been home, I've been telling everyone what an excellent experience it was! My husband and I are already planning on another weekend at the Lord Elgin, next time we're in Ottawa!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stayed there in August 2013, with a group from the United States. On my return to the US, I unpacked my suitcase and was not sure where I left my cellphone powerpak. A few days later I e-mailed the hotel to see if I left it there. When I saw an e-mail from the executive housekeeper, I was surprised to read that they had it. They mailed it back to me. Great service on the housekeeping staff.

The hotel - great staff in all departments. Food was good. Great location to walk to areas of interest. Staff was extremely polite and friendly. Our room had a great view. It was a great time in Ottawa.

Patty

Room Tip: Our room was on the 8th floor facing the park. It was beautiful to look out the window and see a gor...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Lord Elgin? Share your experiences!