“Excellent location, staff. Rooms may need some upgrades” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Lord Elgin

Save Saved
You added Lord Elgin to your Saves list
Lord Elgin
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Elgin St, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5K8, Canada (Byward Market Area)   |
Ranked #21 of 66 hotels in Ottawa
Oakville, Canada
“Excellent location, staff. Rooms may need some upgrades”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My bf and I have decided to do a last minute day trip in Ottawa Monday, when the snow storm hit the Eastern Ontario. It took us a little longer than usual to get to the capital as the driving condition wasn't too great. We arrived at the hotel minutes before midnight, and it didn't take too long till the valet service came to greet us, and he even stayed with us until he made sure someone at the front desk was available.
We got assigned to Room 309, which faces the office building next door. Our bed was very comfy (we were both exhausted from the long drive), but I think the room was a little too cold. I woke up around 6 to put a hoodie on and when my boyfriend got up he also thought the room was little too cold (he doesn't usually have any problem with cool room temperature).
Bathroom was okay, bit smaller than other hotels we have stayed but that wasn't a huge issue with us. We also went down to the gym around 8 in the morning and found ourselves owning the whole pool, love the pool and Jacuzzi. Overall it was a pleasant stay, staff are all friendly. The only complaint I might have was the hairdryer doesn't work. And we weren't provided with soap and shampoo in our room but lucky there were lots of cleaning staff on our floor in the morning and they were extremely friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: For little more privacy, I guess you may want to ask for a room that isn't facing the office bui...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
meelker, Director of Sales at Lord Elgin, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
We greatly appreciate your detailed feedback regarding your recent stay. We have wonderful people working with us, from the valet to the front desk, housekeeping and maintenance, as well as our restaurant staff. It is so encouraging for all to read your comments.

We did have some heating issues during the last cold snap. They have since been resolved. We are so sorry you found it cold in your room. Our housekeeping staff would have been happy to bring you additional blankets, as well as another hairdryer.

We are now choosing carpet and vinyl for the guestrooms and excited about getting to this project. We hope you will be back again to see the changes.

With best wishes,

1,216 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I recently stayed at this property on a business trip.
Lovely staff, Great location, wonderful breakfast...
Within walking distance of all the sites. Front desk staff was very helpful.
I would like to thank Carolyn Montgomery, the Executive Housekeeper :)
Following check out, on my way to the airport I realized I had left
a credit card in my room. I called the hotel and the front desk put me in touch
with Carolyn who immediately went to the room, retrieved the card and notified me.!
Outstanding service and kindness!!! Carolyn put the card in the mail and it was waiting for me
when I returned home. THANK YOU!!!!!!! I will return!! :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
It was so nice to you to write here about Carolyn Montgomery. She has been our Executive Housekeeper for many years and there are few as committed to their work and team as Carolyn is. She has one of the hardest jobs in a hotel and she is a master! She is a great model to her team, by always going above and beyond for guests - it's just natural for her.

You made her day and ours!! Thank you for sharing.

Best wishes,

Bronx, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Let me start by saying that Ottawa is an exciting city. Not only is it the capitol city of Canada where government buildings can be seen, but a vibrant city of restaurants and shopping.
The hotel is located in a strategic place for those who love marching bands.
Each morning you can have your coffee while watching the Royal Canadian marching band go by
for the changing of the guard.
The facility provides for all the needs of its guests in a most polite fashion, and is a most comfortable place.
The best fish & chips I ever had was at a little pub on the corner.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Elgin Street.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
We are so happy to hear you enjoyed Ottawa. I have grown up here and so am a bit biased, but even with my limited travel, I think it is one of the best cities for living and visiting. It is small enough that it is not unusual at all to bump into someone you know while walking in the Byward Market, or down Elgin Street, yet it has lots of fabulous cultural offerings, being a Capital.

Yes, July is a great month to be here. The guard marches by our hotel each morning enroute to Parliament and back again starting at the end of June until the end of August. In addition, there are lots of festivals going on nearby. We are very fortunate.

We hope you will have an opportunity to visit us again.

With sincere thanks,

Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Great location, easily within walking distance of the hill and Byward. Concierge staff are tremendous. Rooms are good but a few pieces short of being really paper end ... TV s are older, no bar fridge. But those are minor complaints. Overall, very good service, clean, comfortable beds.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Barrie, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for 2 days. It was in a great location. Close to shops, restaurants, parliament and the Rideau centre. The valet service was slow at check in, and when we needed our car. I say this because the price of parking was ridiculous. The room was clean, and the bed was comfortable. We turned the heat up because the room was cold, this did not change the temperature in the room, only in the bathroom?
Also the Starbucks closed at 6pm!
Lastly, the staff seemed nice, did not have much interaction with them however.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Lord Elgin is a wonderful hotel perfectly located so that you can easily walk (10-15 min) to just about any and all tourist areas. The rooms are spacious and the beds were quite comfortable. The front desk staff were more than courteous and helpful in helping us locate destinations and food ideas. The pool and hot tub were clean.
My only negative is having to pay for valet parking.

Room Tip: Choose the park view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed at the Lord Elgin Feb 15th for 3 nights, lovely hotel, rooms spacious. We stayed the last weekend of Winterlude very busy as it was also family day, the hotel coped really well, the staff were all excellent. There is a nice seating area in the lobby, the only downfall was the lifts only 2 working so you had quiet a wait.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lord Elgin? Share your experiences!