“Great hotel in downtown Ottawa” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lord Elgin

You added Lord Elgin to your Saves list
Lord Elgin
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Elgin St, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5K8, Canada (Byward Market Area)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay & Save-up to 25% off
Ranked #19 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
White Plains, NY
“Great hotel in downtown Ottawa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

The Lord Elgin is located in downtown Ottawa right next to the famous canal. The hotel staff is very attentive and formal. The rooms are well designed and the furnishings are top-notch. The bar/restaurant in the lobby is convenient and offers an interesting range of selections. The hotel is very affordable and worth the experience!

Room Tip: If you can get a room facing the front of the hotel you'll have a view of the canal.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
meelker, Director of Sales at Lord Elgin, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Every once in a while you read a review and say 'Wow! - How wonderful!!'

So thank you for taking the time and for the glowing comments. You have made our day!!

With best wishes at this festive time of year!

LORD ELGIN HOTEL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
Kingston, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

When we told some relatives we were staying at the Lord Elgin, they were impressed, and seemed to think we would have a deluxe experience. Unfortunately, the reality did not match the hype.

The windows were exceedingly drafty, both in the main room and the bathroom. We visited on the first very cold weekend of the year. Sitting at the desk to work was a chilly experience. The electric heaters in the room had to run on high. But that also meant that the room was irritatingly dry--I thought all the moisture was being sucked out of my body. The loose fit of the windows also meant that there was a lot of noise from traffic.

Another annoyance is the parking, which is off site. Valets take guests' cars and park them. But then when you want your car, you have to phone downstairs to have the car retrieved. It's very inconvenient not to have direct access to one's car, and sometimes the wait for the car was excessive--at least fifteen minutes at one time when we were on a tight deadline. On the day we checked out, guests' cars were lined up in the front driveway, and the only way we could get ours out was by backing up along the drive and backwards into the road--not very safe.

Our room was on a corner, and had three windows on two sides. That was nice. Yet we were given only one queen bed. These days, in North America, it's reasonable to expect a king bed, or at least two queen beds. The mattress was very uncomfortable, and sagged in the middle--I prefer a firm, flat surface, and I don't like sleeping on the slopes of a valley.

The hotel charged for Internet. I suppose this is normal at some hotels. But frankly, Internet access is now sufficiently normal and necessary that I don't think guests should be nickel-and-dimed for it. On top of the exhorbitant charge for parking, and the charge for our LOCAL phone calls, we felt the hotel was out to get us at every turn.

When we first arrived, there was an enormous bottle of Dasani water by the bed--for which the charge was $4.00. Why do this? Dasani is basically tap water inside plastic. A hotel that claims to care about environmental issues should not be selling over-priced bottles of water.

There were other small issues, too--not enough to ask for help, but just off-putting. On two occasions we had problems with the elevator, which simply closed its door and sat there, with us inside. We had difficulties with the lock on the door of our room. The tv remote didn't work well, and we resorted to using the buttons on the console. The window blind in our bathroom was filthy. These are small things, but they add up to a picture of a place that just doesn't care enough to get the details right.

This hotel was a disappointment. We stayed at it because I was booked in there for business purposes. But when we next visit Ottawa, we will not return to the Lord Elgin. It's definitely over-rated. Perhaps I'm spoiled, but I expect better.

Room Tip: If you want a king bed, you will have to explicitly ask for it.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am truly sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. We have discussed your comments at our weekly meeting and the respective departments will be addressing the issues you raised.

Our beds are only 1 year old. They are wonderful Simmons Beautyrest mattresses. They should not be sagging in the middle at this point; however our executive housekeeper has contacted Simmons who will be replacing a couple of mattresses, as they assure the best in quality. Perhaps you had one of those that will be replaced.

Valet parking here is typically very good as we have increased staffing of our valet staff. There is the odd occasion when everyone seems to want to check out at the same time; however we do try to tell guests to call down for their car 30 minutes before their anticipated departure, so we can have their car waiting.

The internet in the room as well as local calls will be complimentary in the New Year. We did invest close to $200,000 earlier this year to bring in much more robust system for our guests in both meeting rooms and in their guestrooms and public space.

We do take these comments very seriously and thank you again for sharing them here. We do hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back to demonstrate that we do indeed listen.

With kind regards,

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Just back for a short two night stay Nov 28-30. Second stay and just as great as last time. This time I made sure I'd get a park view room by paying slightly more. It was worth it. Felt much more connected to the city by looking out over the park. Room not huge but perfectly fine. Location is great especially once I found Sparks Street pedestrian mall and of course Parliament Hill. Service also outstanding. I called about my reservation and Christopher was awesome. Great hotel. Want to return not on business! (Wrote separate review on Grill 41. Great restaurant.)

Room Tip: Pay for a park view room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We have stayed in this hotel with 2 boys while on first trip to Ottawa. We were looking for a hotel close to parliament and a pool. We got more than we expected. The hotel is wonderful, with old postal boxes that our boys loved...We were really happy to see and follow the change of guards that passed the hotel with live band...it was great. The rooms were nice and spacious as well as clean. Pool was clean and warm. We would definetly come back to this one.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

After a disappointing experience with this hotel on our wedding night, the staff at the Lord Elgin provided a complimentary staff for myself and my husband.

The customer service and attention to detail was outstanding as they truly value their customers. The front desk staff as well as valet were all courteous and helpful. We certainly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

I was here for one night and it was my second stay there. It's a basic three star hotel in a great location!

The staff are friendly and helpful and offer great advice about the city in general.

If you stay here over the next few months there will be construction noise from site across the street so try to request a room away from the noise .

My room was basic but clean and had Avery comfortable double bed. The walls are a bit thin but luckily I didn't have moist neighbors!

The hiccups : About an hour after I checked in I was lying in bed about to take a nap and a man entered my room! There was a computer glitch and my room was double booked . That was a shock for sure ! The manager called to apologize so that was good. I suggest you lock the deadbolt chain just in case . I should've done that.

That night when I got back from going out with a friend both my keys didn't work so that was annoying . Thank goodness I had photo ID on me!

Other than all that the stay was fine and I am sure I will stay there again ! You can't go wrong with the location and it is clean and comfortable !

Thanks for reading !

• Stayed November 2012
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Room was comfortable, clean and handy for the activities in the area. Would recommend to friends or family. Very close to the most popular tourist sites and great shopping. Got a great deal by booking online - ask for a room with a view if possible. We looked on to an office building which wasn't very exciting.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
meelker, Director of Sales at Lord Elgin, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you so much for the fabulous feedback. We are always so happy to hear that our guests enjoy their time in Ottawa while they are with us. Our surroundings are so much a part of who we are...it's just a natural if you want to enjoy the city.

We hope you have the occasion to stay with us again soon.

Best regards,
LORD ELGIN HOTEL

Been to Lord Elgin? Share your experiences!