“Weekend stay at the Arc” 4 of 5 stars

ARC The Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   140 Slater Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5H6, Canada   |
Ranked #28 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Montreal, Canada
“Weekend stay at the Arc”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I was looking to stay at a boutique hotel in Ottawa and already tried Indigo so I was very happy when I got to stay at the Arc last weekend. I managed to get a good price via Hotwire so was feeling good about that!

It was easy to find, we got there around 6pm on Friday night and at that time you can park for free on the street. We managed to get a space just down the road, 1 minute walk.
Loved the you get a flute glass of something bubbly when you check in...really who does not love that!

We were on the 6th floor on the side of the hotel which had zero view (which was a shame) I know none of the rooms have great views but would have been nice to see more than a brick wall! Also note there is no free internet in the rooms only in the lobby..I thought that was very cheap when so many hotels do free internet in the room.

Never the less, the bed was super comfy, mattress was firm and the pillows were heavenly soft, everything was modern and clean. The staff provide a turn down service with free water delivered, an apple and 2 chocolates...nice!

The hotel is nicely situated, its not far to walk to parliament hill or to Elgin street for a great selection of restaurants.

Thumbs up for the Arc.

Room Tip: Ask about the view when you book in.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Colin M, General Manager at ARC The Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
The management of ARC The.Hotel appreciates you choosing to stay with us and taking the time to leave feedback on your trip

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stayed at Arc in August for a last-minute weekend trip to visit friends. I chose it for the price and location. I was easily won over when I was offered a glass of sparkling wine when I arrived. The room was clean and spacious with a super-comfy king-sized bed. The turn down service included chocolates, a bottle of water and a Granny Smith apple. Another convenient perk was the Keurig coffee machine in the room. My only complaint was that WiFi access in the room was an extra cost. Other than that I was very satisfied with my stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
We are grateful for your gracious review of ARC The.Hotel. Our management is proud that we are able to exceed your expectations and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Ottawa
Chicoutimi, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Perfect for a weekend trip to Ottawa, close to the parliament and about a 15-20 min walk to the Byward Market where all the action is. Hotel boutique style, friendly staff, rooms are clean and trendy, atmosphere is quiet.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We are always thrilled to hear from our guests that have great experiences with us and this is no exception
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at Arc to celebrate our wedding anniversary. From the moment we stepped into the hotel the service was amazing! We were greeting with a glass of sparkling white wine, and they took out bags and parked our car right away. The staff was always friendly and very helpful. In the evening there was a turn-down service, where they put out bottled water, chocolates on the bed, and left an apple. The Kurig coffee in the room was delicious (and they even offered tea), with the best part being real milk and cream in the mini-fridge. Truly the highlight of our stay was when we were surprised by the delivery of a bottle of sparkling wine and chocolate truffles (absolutely delicious!) – completely complimentary to congratulate us on our anniversary.

We used to live in Ottawa, so were familiar with the area, but were still very impressed by how central Arc was. We used the valet parking and walked everywhere: less than 10 minutes to parliament & the National Arts Center, about 20 minutes to the National Art Gallery, 25 minutes to the Glebe.

The only items I can critique from our stay was that the walls were a little thin (light sleepers should bring ear plugs), and that the ice machine was not working on our floor – these minor things did not put a damper on how much we enjoyed staying at the Arc. Our room wasn’t huge, but it wasn’t too small either, there was more than enough room for two people.

I would recommend Arc for a romatic getaway or for people travelling on business. We hope to stay there again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your complimentary review of ARC The.Hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel services, as well as, our unbeatable location. We would be honored to have you stay with us again in the near future
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My wife and I very much enjoyed our time at ARC. The hotel was well kept, small but well done rooms, and amazing breakfasts. The best experience we had came from Howard, who worked the front desk in the evenings. He recommend to us great restaurants each night and was spot on each time. The restaurants were small bistros that the bigger hotels probably would not know existed. That is why we enjoy staying in boutique hotels as great service like that helps folks like us from out of town have memorable visits.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
ARC The.Hotel would like to express our gratitude to you for taking the time to leave such a complimentary review. We make every effort to ensure our guest’s experiences are superb. We sincerely hope that you will choose to stay with us again on your next trip to Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

First time in Ottawa, I was looking for a decent hotel that was close to the downtown core and within walking distance to all the major attractions such as Parliament. Looked across a bunch of hotels ranging from Arc, Fairmont, and Lord Elgin and decided on giving Arc a try. I like boutique hotels so naturally chose Arc.

First off, let me start by saying that this was a fantastic choice for a hotel. It was "recently" renovated apparently so everything is fairly fresh and new. Yes there is some wear and tear here and there but it is far from noticeable unless you really look for it. This hotel is king of the "little things". By this I mean, they do a lot of small things and offer a lot of smaller services that make your overall stay more enjoyable.

As soon as you check in, you are offered a glass of sparkling wine which is a really nice touch. I've never been offered sparkling anything before at check in so that was nice. As we got up to our king room, we were pleasantly surprised that the room was fairly large. It wasn't huge by any standards but it was more than sufficient for 2 people. Some people complaining about the size of the rooms must be expecting suites. There was ample room for your luggage, a closet to hang your clothes, a huge desk, and a sitting area as well as the bed.

Can I just say, the bed is one of the best beds I have ever slept in. As soon as I plopped myself down on it, I couldnt get out. Its so soft and comfortable. I highly recommend that you splurge for the King bed. It is massive and so comfortable. My partner likes to sleep diagonally and in weird positions so it really helped to have the large bed so we could all stretch out and sleep comfortably.

This hotel also provides a turn down service which is a really nice touch. Every night you get complimentary chocolates, an apple, and a bottle of water. On top of the turn down services, another thing I really liked about this hotel is that they give you a Keurig coffee machine as well with coffee pods that are replenished daily. I loved waking up in the morning and making myself a fresh cup of coffee. They give you to-go cups as well and lids so you can take your coffee to go in the morning. They also provide a mini fridge and a safe for you to use during your stay. All of this is free of charge which is great. We also really liked that in the lobby, they have a coffee and tea station that you can use to get your fix if you dont want to use your Keurig machine. Also, you get the daily newspaper (globe and mail) delivered to your door in the morning as well.

All of these things you dont normally get at other hotels, at least hotels that I've stayed at, so I really liked the small things.

As for the room, aside from my love of the King bed, I liked the modern decor, the oversized shower head which results in a really relaxing shower. While the washroom is a bit small, (we didnt get the room with the huge roman style tub) it is enough for you to change and move around in.

Overall, my experience at this hotel was excellent and I would highly recommend anyone give this a shot. Location wise it may not be as close to Parliament as the Fairmont but all you have to do is walk 30 seconds down the street and you can see Parliament. It takes 5 minutes to walk there.

A few things to consider and factor in as well, parking is $26 a day with in/out privileges which is still very expensive. We choose to park in the municipal lots for $7 a day. Its a bit more of a walk but the savings are huge. If you are looking for a view, you wont find any great views of this hotel. The only side of the hotel which has any sort of view is the side facing the street. All other sides you will be facing brick walls. Also, there is a Destination Marketing Fee of 5% of your room value that will be tacked on to your bill. I dont know if this fee is optional or not. The front desk indicated that this was a tax but there is HST on this tax as well so a tax on a tax doesnt seem right. I know other regions in Ontario have this like Niagra Falls and we have asked to have it removed before without issue. We paid it though this time since it wasnt a huge charge but we would have appreciated being told about this when we were booking. Internet is free in the lobby but costs $9.95 a day in your room. We just used our hotspot from our smartphone to avoid the charge.

Enjoy your trip! Ottawa is a fantastic city and Arc the hotel is the perfect place to relax.

Room Tip: Dont get a room near an ice machine. No good views in this hotel but try to get a room facing slate...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your recommendation of ARC The.Hotel, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we are happy to hear that you would return on your next trip to Ottawa. We will look forward to welcoming you back
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the ARC hotel for 3 nights on a romantic getaway. The room was modern and the bed was one of the most comfortable beds we've ever slept in! Each day they leave 2 bottles of water, an apple and chocolates in the room. Robes, coffee and tea, daily newspaper and even sparkling wine upon check-in are all included. Staff are friendly and professional. Only negative is that wi-fi is not included in the room, which is very antiquated in today's world and feels like a money-grab (which doesn't match the rest of the feel of this hotel). The location is perfect - short walking distance to Parliament and the Byward Market district. Overall, a truly fantastic hotel. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay at ARC The.Hotel and would like to thank you for leaving a glowing review. We will look forward to your next stay with us

Been to ARC The Hotel? Share your experiences!