“Great location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Ottawa, Canada
“Great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My father stayed here while visiting me. The room was clean and quiet, despite being downtown. The bathroom was clean and the decor was fresh. Service was fast and friendly. My family would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Colin M, General Manager at ARC The Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you for your sincere comments about ARC The.Hotel. We are very pleased that your father enjoyed his say with us and would recommend us to other visitors to Ottawa.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I travel to Ottawa frequently, and use the priceline "name your own price" tool to book every time I'm there (2-3 times/month). When choosing a 4-star in downtown Ottawa, 8/10 times it will give you the Marriott on Kent St., the other two (in my experience at least), it gives you Arc The Hotel. Also, while reading this review, keep in mind that I often stay at hotels, and I am not very picky...

I stayed at ARC The Hotel a couple of nights ago for the 2nd time in 4 months. The hotel is decently located downtown (about 20 min walk to the Market & Rideau Centre). Inside the hotel is very nice & pretty modern (white/black colour palate, very zen-like...). Restaurant and bar are very nice; decent food. The rooms are very clean, but very small. Very small. I personally don't mind this, but the problem is that the bed is always next to the door, so you hear everything going on at night, even a pin drop. The walls of this place are paper thin, so don't expect to get much sleep.

The first time I stayed, my room had a connecting door to the room next door. The guy next door was on a conference call till 2am, then woke up at 6am to shower. Suffice to say only 4 hrs of sleep that night (believe me, you hear everything; tv playing, walking, water running, etc...)

The 2nd time I stayed, I asked that my room not have a connecting door. The super friendly staff made sure of that, and gave me a corner room...which was in front of the ice machine...you'd be surprised how many people use hotel ice! I was again woken up at 6am by a guy showering in the room above mine, because when he turned on his water, it sounded like a loud steam whistle in my room...for 20 minutes...at 6am.

All this to say, if I had the choice, or if I actually had to pay full price for this hotel, I would never stay at this hotel. The staff are great & super friendly, food is good, very clean, beds are comfy, but rooms are very small (I don't mind this, but some do) and above all, you won't sleep!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the elevators, with no connecting doors if you don't need them, and not...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your candor and honesty in your review of your stay with us. It appears we are dong some things well, and your comments will help us improve the other areas. We hope to see you again when you travel in our neighborhood again
Chesterville, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed at the ARC last weekend while splurging on an overnight in the city, and I was very pleasantly surprised. Reception was both friendly and efficient, and topped off with a glass of sparkling wine. Our room was smallish but very clean and well apppointed, and the king size bed was comfy. Bathroom also smalish but efficient and clean. We came back from dinner and a show to find bed turned down, bottles of mineral water, chocolate, and an apple. Street parking is abundant and free on weekends. No view to speak of, but walking distance to all of downtown's amenities. I plan to stay at the ARC again next time we decide to overnight in the city, and certainly highly recommend this little gem of a hotel. Nice to see the small operators giving the mega-hotels that dominate the downtown core a run for their money. I urge you to stay here for a personal experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay at ARC The.Hotel and would like to thank you for leaving a glowing review. We will look forward to your next stay with us
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I think some of the negative reviews here are a bit surprising - particularly given the price-point for cheaper rooms. I stayed here on business working for a very budget conscious government client - given staying here or a low-mid level motel further out of town it is a no-brainer. What the hotel delivers is a compact boutique experience - clean, good service, well featured - even if they are in a smaller space (particularly the bathrooms in the smaller rooms). That said it totally met the needs of my trip and I'd rather stay here than the aforementioned alternatives. I had no service issues - very friendly, the room had all I needed, and good beds. If you have a car the valet parking is not cheap but if you search the public alternatives it is not a problem.

All in all I would recommend it if you are looking for a compact boutique good value experience in the downtown area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Colin M, General Manager at ARC The Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
We are grateful for your gracious review of ARC The.Hotel. Our management is proud that we are able to exceed your expectations and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Ottawa.
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Ottawa direly lacks any legit boutique style hotels, with Arc being the closest too it. The staff are wonderfully friendly and the hotel is clean and well cared for, though the rooms and lounge simply feel too small and the whole 'boutique' feel works, and doesn't work at the same time.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for choosing ARC The.Hotel and for writing your valuable feedback. These comments are very important because they help us pursue continuous improvement
Callander, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great hotel for the money, especially for downtown Ottawa. We were offered sparkling wine upon check-in, and later on housekeeping brought us complimentary chocolates to our room. The bed was extremely comfortable! The room (standard queen) was fairly small, but we were only in there to shower and sleep. Anyone looking for a place to relax and socialize in the room might want a bigger room or different hotel.

The only drawback I had was that nobody told me I would be charged a $100 refundable incidental fee upon check-in (I think because I went through booking.com). I didn't realize until after I got home when I checked my credit card statement and thought I had been charged for two nights when I only stayed one... upon calling the hotel the person I spoke with was very unfriendly and I didn't get so much as an apology. It's not a big deal since I'll get it back, but $100 is a lot of money when you aren't expecting it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
We do appreciate your feedback in regards to our deposit requirements. We do not charge an incidental fee, we do however take an incidental deposit similar to other hotels in North America. We do hope to have you stay with us again on your next trip to Ottawa.
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I've stayed there twice now.
My husband and I booked in for 3 days over Christmas. We took a king-size with the Roman tub (a bath-tub big enough for three people). The room's aren't large, but they are well thought out and the privacy hallway is a big bonus. The staff are friendly and helpful. The one downside to our Christmas stay was that the restaurant was closed the entire time so we had to get dressed and head over to a nearby Sheraton to eat our meals. We did love the turndown touch of a crisp green apple and dark chocolate!

We came back a month later and the restaurant was back to regular hours. Great food, morning or night!

The hotel is very convenient for business, getting to the airport (shuttles, city transit, and taxis), plus an easy walk to the entertainment districts of the ByWard Market and Elgin street, along with the Parliament buildings, the National Gallery, and the Museum of Nature.

Room Tip: Romance in mind? The Roman tubs are huge and deep!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your sincere comments about ARC The.Hotel. We are very pleased that you have enjoyed your say with us and would recommend us to other visitors to Ottawa

Been to ARC The Hotel? Share your experiences!