“Nice rooms, service lacking” 3 of 5 stars
Review of ARC The Hotel

Save Saved
You added ARC The Hotel to your Saves list
ARC The Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   140 Slater Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5H6, Canada (Byward Market Area)   |
Ranked #27 of 66 Hotels in Ottawa
Toronto, Canada
“Nice rooms, service lacking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I enjoyed the rooms. They are stylish, comfortable, and cozy. Some are small, but some are average size for the most part. The beds are very comfortable! The room service at this hotel is fantastic. Food is high quality and right portions, priced right for its category. My only concern / issue was the service standards: Front desk agents, they are hit or miss. Find the night crew very attentive and friendly. Completely the opposite with the day crew. Also the housekeeping staff are very eager to clean. Very hard to sleep with the loud talking early cleaning crew. Notifying front desk only results in later check out at your expense, which you would imagine isnt a problem if you can utilize your room in a Quiet, private manner. But when your calling to extend because the hotel staff are keeping you awake... hmm. Not much courtesy or compassion at that level, even if you're a frequent loyal guest. Afterwords, At one point housekeeper walked right into our room while we were trying to sleep, with Do Not Disturb sign on door. I felt safe enough the night before to leave door deadbolt unlocked. My mistake... Contacted management, Front desk manager not able to do anything, or offer anything. Contacted GM through all communication means still with no response. Too bad, I really enjoyed it here, even stayed a few nights after this incident because I enjoyed the rooms that much, and the preferred guest amenitity, but I dont feel I will return as a result of lack of follow-up and consideration in this matter.

Room Tip: Higher rooms, less street noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Colin M, General Manager at ARC The Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for your detailed remarks. Your comments help us increase our learning and give us the opportunity to review our standards and levels of service. I hope we will have the pleasure of serving you again in the near future

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Definitely not worth the money. The room was so small I really couldn't believe the price we paid to stay there.

We just weren't digging the overall vibe.

Nothing bad to say about service however I also don't have anything positive to say either. Nothing stood out for us.

We travel several times a year and usually stay at boutique hotels. This is not a boutique hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your most recent stay with us. As General Manager, your comments are invaluable to me.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

our family recently enjoyed another lovely night at the beautiful arc hotel. having also stayed in another hotel on the same trip, i thought i'd pop in to add another review for this great place.

we stayed in a junior suite - which is so bright, spacious and stylish perfect for our family with a pull-out couch, i especially enjoyed on this stay 2 things:

how nice and QUIET this hotel is - the one way street we faced was never noisy - even during the workday (though it's situated on a busy downtown street) - we all really loved that - it was a peaceful oasis on our busy trip.

AND we loved our bed - so exceptionally comfy!

we all love the style and feel of ARC!
thanks for another great visit. we'll be back!

Room Tip: the junior suites that face north west are both bright and large! not really any great views (to be...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Positives:

Room was very clean.
Nice turn down service.
Great location.
Nice front desk staff.
Sparkling wine on check in.

Negatives;

Expensive parking and one rude valet.
Very small rooms. A "majestic king" is a misnomer. Our king was small and loud as it faces the street.
Rooms are modern and decor is lovely but they are dark. Bathrooms are poorly lit.
Huge hold on credit card is unjustified.

I am very pregnant and my husband and i thought this would be a great spot to stay while visiing friends. The valet with a goatee approached my husband on check in to ask if we wanted valet parking. My husband said "give us a minute, we need to see if the room is ready" to which valet replied sarcastically "yeah, guess you better figure that out." Later that night we has a lovely valet.
This morning the same rude valet referred to my husband as "boss" in a rude and sarcastic tone twice in a four minute conversation. Due to a family emergency we left early and let our second night go fully paid. We will not return. I wanted to speak to a manager about the valet but we were in a rush due to emergency.

We got a good rate via Expedia and I can honestly say this was my most unpleasant hotel stay in ottawa. Not a boutique hotel and no value for money.

Take a pass.

• Stayed March 2013
Colin M, General Manager at ARC The Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent visit to our hotel. We appreciate your comments and vital feedback. We are always striving to do our best for our guests and your experience will ensure we do just that.
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Wow - what an amazing hotel. I snagged one of their WTF web rates so my room was insanely cheap, only CAD$120. Arrived just after midnight from a very long flight and this was exactly what I needed - friendly staff, warmth, modern and immaculate rooms. Nice decor too. Small, but this was to be expected for the price I paid. The most comfortable bed I have ever slept on. Apple and bottle of water waiting for me was a nice touch, as was the fancy automatic tea/coffee machine. Great location in the city centre too. Check out is noon, which gives you plenty of time to sleep in. There is a computer in the lobby/waiting area where you can use the internet for free and help yourself to tea and coffee. You can't beat this price to quality ratio. I would definitely stay again, and am recommending to all my family and friends who come to Ottawa.

Room Tip: Just be aware that the cheap rooms are quite small. They're called 'intimate' for a reas...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
ARC The.Hotel is thrilled that we were able to exceed your expectations. We appreciate you taking the time to leave a recommendation of our property and we do hope that you will return on your next trip to Ottawa.
Barrie, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed at the Arc on business twice now (two weeks in a row) and i can't say its anything to write home about. Rooms are clean and the bed is comfortable but everything is small and the view......there is none!! The thing that urked me the most however was the additional $200 charged on my credit card which was explained to me as a fee for incidentals that will be returned in 3 to 5 business days. i guess the suit and laptop bag on wheels make me seem like a risk. this behaviour rubbed me the wrong way and i have never encountered this in my many years of business travel.

it is unfortunate because the project i am working on will require a 3-5 year stint of a continuous flow of travellers every week which could have generated alot of business - i don't think i can make the recommendation and will be trying out other properties.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing slater st. but you might have to pay more. also, amenties are typically not r...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback on ARC The.Hotel. All reviews are taken into consideration by management to identify areas of improvement. We are pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay and hope for the opportunity to welcome you back.
Sudbury, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Was there on business; first room they put me in ressembled more a closet than a hotel room! I was moved to another room that was still smaller than an average room. Nothing overly impressive about the hotel, but location was great; short walk to Rideau Centre/Market/Parliament. Seemed like a poor attempt at creating a higher scale hotel.

Room Tip: In the future, I will be exploring other accomodations.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosingARC The.Hotel and for writing your valuable feedback. These comments are very important because they help us pursue continuous improvement.

Been to ARC The Hotel? Share your experiences!