“A Pleasant Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 66 Hotels in Ottawa
Richmond, Canada
“A Pleasant Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I don't normally stay at The Arc Hotel when in Ottawa but due to a late reservation and my usual hotel being booked up at all their reasonable rates, I opted for The Arc. In a previous visit, I had a much smaller room that was over-furnished but this time I had a beautifully appointed big room with lots of space and a luxurious bathroom with a great tub and a massive shower head. The bed was very comfortable, on par or better than my own bed which is pretty hard to beat. I'd come back just for the great night's sleep I had.

There were a few things that I didn't like but not so much that they would dissuade me from returning. The bathroom has no heater so in winter it could get much colder than it was in mid-November when I was there. Room service was inconsistent. One day breakfast was akin to something you'd get at a greasy diner but the next day it was much more in line with the kind of hotel it is. It was good and made up for the day before.

Other drawbacks are not enough room at the front of the hotel to pull in and drop off and pick up people as the taxi-cabs hog the space and make no bones about honking their horn if they feel you've encroached on their territory. Also there are several steps up to the lobby from the street so if you have a lot of luggage or are disabled, you will find it challenging. There is a doorman but he was never there to assist when I could have used the help.

The hotel is located in downtown Ottawa but it is close enough to walk to the Market area where you can find lots of places to eat and to shop. In a pinch there are a couple of Starbucks within a block plus other fast food places like Subway and Tim Hortons.

The service was pleasant and efficient. I would give this hotel a 3.5 stars but since there are no half stars, I've opted to go with 4 as it is closer to that than a rating of 3.

Room Tip: I had a room facing the brick wall of an adjacent building. If you don't care for views, it was...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ArcGM, General Manager at ARC The Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review ARCThe.Hotel.. We are glad you were able to enjoy all our hotel has to offer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

If you are in need of a stylish space for your wedding and reception, look no further than the Lounge at the ARC The.Hotel! Nadine Tremblay, the Catering and Events Sales Manager, went WAY above and beyond the call of duty and made our special day absolutely perfect - she kept the ceremony and reception - and us - on track! The food was spectacular, the staff extremely kind and helpful, and the space chic and sophisticated. We stayed overnight and our King Deluxe room was incredibly appointed. Our guests, too, had a wonderful and relaxed time. My husband and I have no complaints or regrets about choosing the ARC - it was truly memorable! THANK YOU! Christopher + Éric, Ottawa

Room Tip: Some of the King Deluxe rooms have a HUGE bathtub - be sure to ask and take advantage of this featur...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ArcGM, General Manager at ARC The Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
ARC The.Hotel would like to express our gratitude to you for taking the time to leave such a complimentary review. We make every effort to ensure our guest’s experiences are superb. We sincerely hope that you will choose to stay with us again on your first anniversary and sooner if the opportunity presents itself.
Montreal, QC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

As my husband and I walked into our reserved room we thought it was a studio apartment - it was so big. Great service from beginning to end however the hotel stated it had valet parking and when we arrived, it took a while for "valet" to show up. Great location, oober-size bed and futuristic bathroom (personally). As others stated the price was high but for 1 night, I think we deserved it.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay at ARC The.Hotel and would like to thank you for leaving a glowing review. We will look forward to your next stay with us.
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I actually very much enjoyed my stay. One night, reserved online with my credit card and paid my night debit. To my dismay, a month later I get charged $258 on my credit card!!! I call, and they claim I made a reservation and never showed up, which was NOT THE CASE!!
So, I call management, thinking this is a simple accounting mistake and can be fixed. No...I must take it up with my credit card company! They will not re-imburse me.
Be careful!!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your complimentary review of ARC The.Hotel. I have investigated your concern and discovered that you made two separate reservations for two different dates in two different months. The charge that appeared on your credit card was for the second date where we held the room and no one showed. You had provided your credit card number to guarantee the reservation. I am sorry that you felt this charge took advantage of your situation. I would be happy to discuss this with you should you require further information.
Delta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed for 1 night and I found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating.
I'm not sure why the other reviews criticize the room size; it is more than adequate. Comfy bed, very clean. No complaints. Member of iPrefer club, which means you can get free wifi and $20 towards breakfast if you enroll before checking in, which I did.
The hotel restaurant is fairly small with no windows, but the food is excellent.
Will likely stay again if in the Ottawa area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
ARC The.Hotel would like to express our gratitude to you for taking the time to leave such a complimentary review. We make every effort to ensure our guest’s experiences are superb. We sincerely hope that you will choose to stay with us again on your next trip to Ottawa.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

With precious few nice places to stay in downtown Ottawa other than Chateau Laurier and the Westin, it is nice to have places like the ARC. It is a modern boutique hotel in a renovated building at Metcalfe and Slater. The rooms are small but quiet. The staff is helpful. This is definitely an option if other hotels are full.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
ARC The.Hotel is thrilled that we were able to exceed your expectations. We appreciate you taking the time to leave a recommendation of our property and we do hope that you will return on your next trip to Ottawa.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I was not impressed at all and would not recommend it. We must have had one of the smallest rooms in Ottawa! Id expect something like that from New York or Paris but not The capital! It took for ever to get to our room too with only one elevator and a ton of people in for some sort of conference. Not my favorite at all, prefer the hilton

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your candid review of ARC The.Hotel. It is always a great disappointment to hear of a guest that was not satisfied with their stay. We hope you will give us the opportunity to be of service to you again in the future so that we might show you the service and sophistication that we have become known for.

Been to ARC The Hotel? Share your experiences!