“Small and dark” 3 of 5 stars
Review of ARC The Hotel

Save Saved
You added ARC The Hotel to your Saves list
ARC The Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   140 Slater Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5H6, Canada (Byward Market Area)   |
Ranked #26 of 67 hotels in Ottawa
montreal
“Small and dark”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This was the third time we have stayed at Arc The Hotel. We stayed in room 804. The room was very tiny, very dark and crowded. The bed was too soft for our tastes.

The sound proofing of the room is also problematic as you can hear the neighbor through the adjoining door.

The view from the small window is into the government office building next door, so very little light comes into the room.

In the bathroom, a glassed in shower stall would have been more in keeping with whole «boutique hotel» design. The current bathtub/shower/shower curtain combo is a bit old fashioned. The same goes for the CD Radio inconveniently located on the bottom shelf of the beside table. How long have ipods and iphone been around?

However, there are some positive notes about Arc The Hotel. First off, the hotel is well located, only a few minutes from Parliament Hill, The National Arts Center, and the Byward Market. The Rideau Center and the National Art Gallery are less than 10 minutes away by foot. The hotel also has a top notch restaurant, one of the best in Ottawa and the design of the hotel is chic and modern.

Service is very good at Arc The Hotel. We were greeted with a complimentary glass of sparkling wine and the turn down service includes bottled water, chocolate and an apple. The room comes with an small empty fridge and a coffee maker as well as an iron and ironing board. There is no mini-bar, but there is a full room service menu.There is a also a safe and 2 bathrobes. There was no free wifi, which is always a drag with these high concept hotels.

Granted, we got a good price on this room, but none the less, the lack of space and light really made our stay somewhat of a downer. The larger rooms give you more space, but the small windows and close proximity of the surrounding government buildings also make the majority of the rooms in Arc The Hotel somewhat claustrophobic. Ask for a room facing the street.

This hotel is one of the lone boutique hotels in Ottawa and it seems due for a little refreshing. Perhaps by brightening up the color pallette of the decor, upgrading the bathrooms and rethinking the lighting and sound systems, Arc The Hotel can continue to attract those travelers who are looking for a nice design hotel that is out of the ordinary.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ArcGM, General Manager at ARC The Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review ARC The.Hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and found our services to be helpful and useful. I will be sure to share your comments with my guest services team.

668 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We had a really nice experience at ARC the Hotel. The location was perfect and we loved the trendy boutique hotel vibe. We were pleasantly surprised by the amenities (turn down service, bathroom supplies, robes, etc). The bed was very comfortable.
We only had only a few issues. The room is quite small, and the connecting door to the room beside us let in a lot of noise (we could hear the radio clear as day). We also didn't receive the complimentary glass of champagne, but it may be because we booked our room through booking.com (very reduced rate).
The parking at $26 per day is ridiculous. You can find underground parking at $14 just around the corner.
In this day and age, travelers should not have to pay for internet. Come on ARC! Get with it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a larger window (corner room).
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your most recent stay with us. As General Manager, your comments are invaluable to me. We are happy to provide complimentary sparkling wine to all hotels guests upon arrival. We do start service at 3pm each day. Should you arrive before this time we would welcome you back for your refreshment after 3.
Sharon, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The Arc Hotel is a clean tidy hotel with a very comfortable king size bed. The only problem we had was with the overall layout and size of the room. I usually don't complain about trivial things but the bathroom was ridiculously small. My husband and I couldn't be in there at the same time. There wasn't enough room!! The rest of the room was also very tight. The dresser which held the fridge was so close to the bed that you couldn't open the door far enough to actually use the fridge. If this was an economy hotel I wouldn't mind but it was quite expensive. I will not be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ARC The.Hotel is very appreciative of you taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and that our associates were able to meet all of your requests. We look forward to your return on your next trip to Ottawa.
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

My wife and I stayed at The ARC Hotel in Ottawa last weekend for our anniversary. We wanted a hotel close to downtown so we could walk everywhere. At check-in we each got a glass of wine from the very friendly and helpful staff at the front desk. Our room was great, really comfortable and calming and we had a great night. I'd highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Ottawa for travel or business.
We didn't get a chance to try the restaurant this time but we'll be going back for sure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ArcGM, General Manager at ARC The Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay at ARC The.Hotel and would like to thank you for leaving a glowing review. We will look forward to your next stay with us.
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Stayed at the Arc in a junior suite for 2 nights with my hubby. I'll start with my complaints - 1. The room was very dark. The hotel is situated on a side street and sits at ground level so when you look out the window you are looking into a dark and dreary government office building. 2. The bathroom was ridiculous - very small, single vanity, the door opened such that if you we're standing at the sink the door had to be closed or else you couldn't fit.
3. It was pretty dirty, I.e the carpets and couch had visible stains on them - gross!
4. 19.95 for WiFi/day- I known this is done in Europe, and it bugs me just the same there too! WHY??
I called down to request another room but they were fully booked.
I would say it was just average and I don't think I would recommend it. You pay a lot more to stay at the Westin down the street, but at least you know what to expect.
This is the first time that I have been disappointed after choosing a hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews.

Room Tip: Apparently all of the rooms have the same exposure to the dreary side street.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your candid review of ARC The.Hotel. It is always a great disappointment to hear of a guest that was not satisfied with their stay. We take pride in the cleanliness of our hotel and were dismayed that your room was not to our standard. I apologize for the condition of your room on arrival. I have addressed this with our housekeeping team for immediate correction. I was equally concerned with the misinformation in your review; ARC is located on Slater St, a primary east west corridor in Downtown Ottawa, not all rooms have the same exposure to the street, and finally the cost for internet is currently $9.95 for up to 8 IP devices. Additionally, this service is offered at no charge by joining our free iPrefer rewards program. I hope you will return to experience ARC as it is meant to be on your next visit to Ottawa.
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

The location is good, the service too, but the night was a mess. We simply heard the tv sound in the room next to us at midnight when you want to go to sleep. In a 4 star hotel, it's simply not acceptable. The walls must be sound proof. Imagine if we heard the tv what we could have head too....
I do not recommand.

Room Tip: Do not take the room 217.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing ARC The.Hotel and for writing your valuable feedback. Your comments are very important as they help us pursue continuous improvement. We sincerely appologize that your neighbours TV was sufficiently loud that you were able to hear it. Had we known of this disturbance we would have contacted the room next to you and asked that they adjust their volume. I hope that you will give us another opportuity on your next visit to Ottawa.
Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I was in Ottawa and needed a place that was reasonably priced and that was a short walk to the Convention Centre. There are many expensive choices, but I found the Arc to be a pleasant surprise. With my CAA card, parking was included and the walk to the Convention Centre was just about 7-8 minutes.

But best of all was the bed!! This was absolutely the best mattress that I have ever slept on. I was sorry that I wasn't staying longer.

The hotel was clean and modern and the staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
ArcGM, General Manager at ARC The Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a thorough and complimentary review of ARC The.Hotel. We are thrilled that our associates and facility were able to exceed your expectations. We are proud to be your hotel of choice in Ottawa and look forward to welcoming you back.

Been to ARC The Hotel? Share your experiences!