“Ok room - Excellent staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa Downtown

You added Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa Downtown to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   350 Dalhousie Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1N 7E9, Canada (Byward Market Area)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #24 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Maple Shade, New Jersey
“Ok room - Excellent staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

The room was clean and relatively comfortable. I can't complain but I wouldn't brag about the room in general...it was okay. But I will say the staff was amazing. Everyone was more than willing to help and they were all focused on making my save very comfortable. Stephen was especially helpful and went out of his way to make sure I had a great stay. The location was great but unfortunately I didn't have a chance to take advantage of the location since I was on business travel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Customer R, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers on TripAdvisor!

We strongly believe that customer service and cleanliness are two very important parts of a guest’s stay and we’re glad to hear that we delivered! I look forward to sharing your comments with Steven as I know he will appreciate the recognition. Our location offers a variety of things to see and do all within a short walk. For those here on business it offers entertainment for your evenings and for leisure guests it offers a farmer’s market, restaurants and many tourist attractions. I hope you’ll have the opportunity to take in some of the sights on your next visit.

Again, we want to thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon in Ottawa!

-Michelle Wilson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

This is the second year in a row my husband and I stayed at this property. The hotel is located in the heart of the famous Byward Market in downtown Ottawa mere steps away from great restaurants, the Parliament, Rideau Canal, and good shopping with The Bay directly across the street which gives you easy access to the Rideau Centre shopping complex. The reason we stay here is that every year around the same dates in February, our son has a function directly across the bridge a few kilometres away in Quebec all that week-end long and where he stays. The dates also coincide with our Anniversary so we use the occasion as a mini get away for just the two of us.

The hotel has underground parking for $20.00 CAD / night which is not so bad price wise but ideal if you are there like us in February! The hotel has a very large, modernly decorated breakfast / lunch area with comfortable sectional sofas and with TV sets strategically placed so that everyone has a view of the screens. I mention the TVs only because the week-end we were there, Canada was playing for the hockey Olympic gold medal and the place was packed that early Sunday morning with hotel guests and restaurant diners all attired in their Team Canada jerseys. It was a fun morning! The rooms are very inviting, well maintained, good sized and the one we stayed in had a large sofa and coffee table which was convenient and came with a king bed which we had asked for. We typically ask for a corner room wherever we stay so I don't know if this makes a difference or not noise wise because you are in the heart of the Market which can be a very busy, boisterous place day and night. We had no issues at all with noise either from the streets below or from within the hotel. All the amenities you expect at a Marriott property were there including free WiFi and a safe which was an added bonus. The closet is very small, but was not much of an issue for us since we there only two nights.

What made this stay particularly memorable was that given this was our Anniversary, we were pleasantly surprised by the generous gift of a very large plate of assorted cheeses, crackers, fresh fruit and a bottle of red wine which was brought up to our room some 30 minutes after we had checked in! We have the Guest Services Manager, Ms. Marian Habib to thank for that! It was a most thoughtful touch and quite surprising really. To all the staff, a big heartfelt thank you from the two of us!

In general, excellent value for your dollar especially if you do what we do which is take the advance pre-paid purchase which gives you a good discount per each nights stay. The location cannot be beat anywhere else in Ottawa. We look forward to our stay there again next February!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Customer R, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Firstly, we would like to thank you for the review. Your kind words are appreciated!

The hotel does have a fantastic location with access to all sorts of restaurants, attractions and businesses. We receive a lot of positive feedback about our location and the easy access to stores and restaurants.

We take our customer service earnestly and we are thrilled to hear that the staff were helpful and kind. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your small gift for your special occasion, as well as, your upgraded room. Our executive king room does offer extra amenities such as the safe.

As you mentioned, the location of our hotel is one of the best if you are here to visit Canada’s capital. The Bistro concept is a new standard in all Courtyard hotels. And we are glad to hear that you enjoyed the lounge.

Again I want to thank you for reviewing the Courtyard Marriott Ottawa and we hope to see you again soon!

-Shannon Seguin
Guelph
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Easy parking. Welcoming from desk. Nice room (king 4th floor). Bathroom is small and shower / bath needs updating. Nice lobby. Good service. Noise from hallway easily makes it under or around the door, as if there is an amplifier at work. Road noise /construction noise easily heard but at least fan drowns that out. I had issues keeping the Internet access alive for more than 15 min at a time. Bed was awesome. Would stay again but only because I'm a gold Marriott member. Otherwise I'd try something else.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Customer R, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your stay with others on TripAdvisor! Your feedback allows us to improve our service.

We’re happy that overall you had a good stay with us and that you found our staff to be warm and welcoming! I would however like to thank you for advising us that you had issues with our internet connection during your stay. We upgraded our service about one year ago and it has performed very well to date, however, I am going to verify the connection with our supplier to ensure that we are always providing our guests with a stable connection. We understand the importance of this as many of our guests are travelling on business and require solid access to do their work.

Again, we’d like to thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again!

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I stayed 2 nights at the Courtyard Marriott and it was the best decision I made on my trip to Ottawa! The hotel is located right in the heart of the Byward Market, so if you're into bars, restaurants, and trendy shops, this is THE place to stay in Ottawa.

The hotel itself is great. The room was beautiful, large, and extremely comfortable. But most of all was the staff - they are warm, receptive, and will help you out in any way they can. When booking, I requested (half-jokingly) for a bowl of skittles with the yellow ones picked out. And when I entered the room? They were there! Awesome.

Seriously, book with these guys!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Customer R, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
We want to sincerely thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review of your stay!

We had a lot of fun with your special request and we’re glad you enjoyed your Skittles, minus the yellow ones of course! For many of us, it was the first time we received such a unique request and moments like this are a big part of why we love working in the hospitality industry! We’re happy to hear that our staff met your expectations and that our location helped you make the best of your trip to the Nation’s Capital. Being located in the heart of the Byward Market, there is no shortage of great food, activities and attractions all nearby!

Again, we appreciate your heartfelt review and it was honestly a pleasure having you stay with us! We hope to see you again soon!

London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I recently stayed here for two nights on a business trip. This was my third stay at this hotel. The location is perfect. Everything you need is within walking distance...restaurants, pubs, Byward Market, etc.
The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. Check in was easy and quick. The room was clean and nicely appointed. The bed was great as well. My only complaint was the heater was a bit on the noisy side, but nothing unbearable.
If you have business in downtown Ottawa, you can't beat this place for the price and location. I'll be back for my next business trip!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Customer R, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, March 29, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate such a great review!

We’re glad to hear that you had such a good stay with us and that our location helps you make the best of your free time. Our staff are very knowledgeable about the area and are always ready to give recommendations if needed. We’re glad they gave you the service you expected! We’re also very happy to hear that you liked our beds as they were all recently replaced with new pillow-top mattresses. I’d like to mention that if ever there is an issue, such as a noisy heating unit, please contact the Front Desk right away as we will be happy to find a solution, whether repairing the unit or finding you a room with a quieter unit.

Again, we’d like to thank you for the review and we look forward to seeing you again during your next trip to Ottawa!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

I had the pleasure of staying here while on a business trip and I must say-- the staff really go above and beyond to make your stay enjoyable. Two names that come to mind in particular are Mikey and Stephen. I worked some pretty late nights during that trip and caught Mikey during most of those hours. Even at those late hours, he was very bubbly and energetic and and happy to help me find whatever type of food I was craving.He's also a lot of fun to talk to. Seriously, you should go talk to him.He knows alot. The same goes for Stephen. He knows the area very well. If you're looking to find activities in the area, I would recommend seeking him out. He also makes a great latte! Top notch service! Rooms are pretty good, too.

Next time I'm back in Ottawa, I'll be back here.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Customer R, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Your review is very much appreciated and we are glad to hear that you had a great stay!

Customer service is important to us. We are so glad that our employees were able to brighten your day and provide you with some insight of what Ottawa has to offer. We will be sure to pass along your kind comments to both Steven and Mike.

Thank you again for the review!
-Monica Schoeni
Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

I really enjoyed my 3 night stay at the Marriott Courtyard while in Ottawa last week on business.
The location on the Byward Market is excellent as there is a wide choice of pubs and restaurants only steps away.
The taxi from the airport is only $40 bucks and you can walk everywhere once downtown.
The reception desk was gracious, their offer of a refreshing drink or treat from the snack bar was hospitable, and the king room was spacious and clean.
I loved the big bed, the new high quality sheets, and the full and comfortable pillows.
There is a large wall unit that houses the wide screen TV, a beer fridge, dresser space and a pull-out working desk and plug-ins for your laptop.
I especially liked the heating and cooling unit, and they've posted instructions on how to use the thermostat (a first!)
The bathroom is split, so you have the sink in the room along with a decent closet space, and a separate room with toilet and bath tub.
At night it was easy to go to the front desk and get a small pitcher of fresh cream for your morning coffee, and the pod-style coffee machine brews well.
My room was on the 4th floor with an inside courtyard room, so there was absolutely zero noise from outside. And I felt safe and slept well with the hotel policy of locking the front doors after 11pm, which kept out unwanted trespassers and reduced late night parties.
Kudos to my housekeeper Kim, the night manager Monica, and all the efficient staff.
I'll be back in Ottawa soon for another course and without question I will book another room at the Courtyard Marriott.
Cheers,
Paul

Room Tip: My choice is a top floor, inside courtyard room as it will keep out street noise. (no view BUT no no...