“excellent location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa Downtown

You added Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa Downtown to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   350 Dalhousie Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1N 7E9, Canada (Byward Market Area)   |
Hotel deals
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Montreal, Canada
“excellent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

This Hotel is ideally located. Perfect for walking around Byward Market , Rideau canal and Parliament . Staff is friendly. Rooms are clean and our room was very big. $20 for parking but they allowed us to leave our car well before check in and stay well passed check out. free Wifi in rooms which is greatly appreciated. Hear the noise from the hallway and street but not overly so.
My only complaint is that the toilette and tub/shower are in one room and the sink is in another. not convenient when travelling with friends and coworkers. Also in the bathroom there are shelves or counters to rest toiletries on or change of clothing (ther was room to add one or the other in our bathroom)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Customer R, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about your stay as it helps us to improve!

We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and our location helped you make the best of your time in the city. We’re close to so many attractions! We’re always happy to try to accommodate special requests, such as leaving your vehicle in our parking lot past check-out. We do have a noise policy in effect so we encourage guests to notify us if there is any excessive noise. That being said, some areas of the hotel are quieter than others due to their location so for those wishing a quieter environment, we welcome them to make the request when they reserve or when they check in and we will do our best to accommodate.

Again, I want to thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers and we hope to see you again soon in Ottawa!

-Michelle Wilson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

I was only here for a night, but was very pleased with the hotel. Ingrid at the Reception was very friendly and welcoming and got me checked in quickly when I arrived around 1pm.

Pros:
- clean room
- lots of extra towels
- great range of toiletries eg. Paul Mitchell shampoo and conditioner
- location right in the Byward market
- friendly staff

Cons:
- couldn't get the room above 22 degrees (I was there during an cold spell, so this is understandable), old A/C system
- no duvet on the beds, just sheets and a blanket in the closet

Overall, I was very happy to find this place and it was perfect for a quick stay in Ottawa.

Room Tip: I had an interior facing room and it was dead silent - couldn't hear the construction going on t...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Customer R, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Firstly, we’d like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your feedback.

We’re happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and we look forward to sharing your comments with Ingrid. We take customer service and cleanliness to heart at the hotel and we are happy to know that we excelled in both areas.

Our location is unmatched to date and provides easy access to restaurants and attractions which I hope you were able to take advantage of during your stay.

We are sorry to hear that you were having issues with the room temperature. However, we do encourage our guests to contact the front desk with any issues during their stays, so that we may rectify them as soon as possible.

Thank you again kindly for the review.
Syracuse, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I like this hotel. I have for about a dozen years or so. It is centrally located and usually pretty reasonably priced. If you are a Marriott Rewards customer, chances are you can get a room without the (ridiculous) $20 parking fee for the garage that was supposedly "renovated" about a year and half ago, but darned if I can see what the changes actually were.

I have two frustrations with this hotel. First, as a Reward member, you used to get 500 points or a free breakfast. Now, you get either 100 points, a breakfast discount, or a free appetizer. Secondly, we asked for a rollaway bed, which we were not guaranteed. That's fine, I get that. When I asked about it at check in (we came prepared with our own air mattress just in case), I was told that the hotel could give us a mattress to put on the floor but that they could not give us a cot/bed on wheels or something quasi-unintelligible because of, well, I'm not sure I actually understood the reason. I guess my problem is this: how can you give the option of a rollaway, if there is no rollaway? The person who used the mattress was very accepting of the situation, but what happens when you have travelled hundreds or thousands of miles and are told that one in your party has to, essentially, sleep on the floor because the hotel can't/won't provide the actual "rollaway" that is supposedly available on the Marriott website? Granted, we booked just one room to save money, but this experience left be with a bad feeling about a hotel that has historically been a very solid choice. Just beware before you pick the rollaway option: someone will wind up sleeping on the floor.

Room Tip: Pick an inside room. There will be no view, but it will be quiet. If you want a view, spend a few ex...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Customer R, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us as it helps us to improve our service for future guests!

Our parking charge of $20 is very competitive for the area as we area on the average equal to or up to $20 less than other area hotels. We also offer unlimited in/out privileges which is something not offered by all downtown properties. Unless included in a package, this price is for all of our guests, including Marriott Rewards members. I apologize if there was a misunderstanding about the work done to our parking area two summers area. The renovation was to the ramp leading to our lower level parking. It was completely redone and there were no other changes to our parking.

In regards to our welcome gift, we do change the benefit periodically and the gift varies for each Elite status. We apologize that you don’t feel this gift is adequate; however, this is not a standard and is something the hotel chooses to do voluntarily as a little bonus for staying with us. Unfortunately, our rooms with two queen size beds are not permitted to have a cot or rollaway bed. This is due to fire regulations and was not a decision made by the hotel. We must comply with this fire regulation for the safety of our guests as due to the size of our rooms the fire department has deemed that the cot will hinder an emergency evacuation by blocking the path to a safe exit. When booking through our website, the room details for a room with two queen beds does state that the room is unable to accommodate a cot. As an alternative when another bed is absolutely necessary, we are able to put a mattress on the floor as this does not block your path in the same way the metal frame to a cot would. We do apologize that this is perhaps not the ideal solution, but unfortunately, it is the best we are able to do and still comply with fire safety. A room with a king sized bed is able to accommodate a cot without any issue.

Again, I’d like to thank you for posting your review and I apologize for any misinformation that may have occurred when reserving or during your stay. We hope to have the opportunity to host your next visit to Ottawa!

Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Had a great stay here at Courtyard Downtown Ottawa, location is great right in the middle of Byward Market
and about a 5-10 minute walk to the Parliament Hill and Rideau Canal and Rideau Center. Check in was fast and they had water and fruits at the front lobby.

The room was clean and newly renovated and like the outlet plugs by the night stand. The only thing that they didn't replace was shower walls and the shower fixtures but they were clean and in good working order. The sheets and towels were thinner but the bed was nice, firm and comfortable. The had one water bottle and a coffee maker. The FREE WIFI was strong and was able to stream videos.

We were given a choice of an inside room where it's quiet without a view or an exterior room and could become pretty loud from the outside noise. I would definitely recommend an inside room if you can't sleep with any noise. We had an exterior room and it overlooks some of the restaurants in the area and it was quiet loud from the restaurant patrons, street performers that has speakers. It was muffled so I could never make out what any body was saying and it lulled me to sleep so it wasn't an issue for me. Strange though coz the window looked brand new and so clean that it should have helps with insulation perhaps it was the wall instead of the window. Anyway, might want to choose an inside room instead eventhough it's overlooking another room but you're not missing much with an exterior room anyway.

I would definitely stay here again because of the location. There are so many restaurants, takeout places and shops in the area.

Update: I am so behind in posting on Tripadvisor. I again stayed in the Courtyard Byward Market last month. I chose the inside quiet room this time and it was as good as the first time. Actually better with a larger upgraded room with upgraded amenities.

Stayed December 2013
Customer R, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to post on TripAdvisor.

We are happy to know that you had enjoyable stays while in Ottawa. Our location is unbeatable, in the heart of the market. The hotel is within walking distance to many attractions and over 130 restaurants! We hope that each time you visit you are able to explore the area and discover new restaurants.

The rooms were recently renovated and certain room types do provide upgraded amenities such as robes, a Keurig coffee machine, and even a guestroom safe. We’re glad that you enjoyed the rooms both times you stayed. The whole hotel provides complimentary WiFi to our guests. The entire system was upgraded recently to provide our guests with a fast connection.

As you touched on previously, we do have inside and outside facing rooms. However, being in the market area certain nights of the week have more ongoing activities resulting in more noise than usual. Nevertheless, should a guest request a certain room location or a room transfer we will do our very best to accommodate them. We also do offer earplugs at the front desk for those that wish to have an outside facing room.

Thank you again for posting on TripAdvisor. We hope to host you yet again in the future.
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

This used to be my "go to" hotel during my frequent stays in the nation's capital. Unfortunately time has not been kind to the Courtyard Marriott. While attempts have been made to keep the the hotel's lobby and common areas modern the rooms themselves and the hotel's corridors are very much showing their age. In addition this part of the ByTown area is starting to take on a slightly unsavoury and seedy tone that I have begun avoiding (especially when I travel with my family). Parking at this hotel is a chore and loading and unloading passengers and bags can be a downright nightmare if you are unlucky to time your arrival with one of the many tour buses that now seem to frequent the hotel. My advice is that there are better hotels in the area for the same price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Customer R, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Thank you for providing us with your constructive criticisms as it helps us to improve ourselves!

I’m happy to announce that in the year since you last stayed with us we have done a lot of work to the hotel, including changing the carpeting and wallpaper in our hallways so that they now have a more updated, modern look. As we are currently in our slow period, we have taken full advantage and are using the opportunity to replace all the mattresses with new pillow top mattresses! We have already completed the first floor and anticipate having all floors completed by the end of the month. We have also implemented a new parking system which has greatly improved the parking experience for our guests. We’re sorry to hear that you feel our hotel no longer meets your needs but I think you would be pleasantly surprised by the changes we have done should you choose to stay with us again.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and we will continue to find ways to meet the ever changing needs of travelers.

Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Our son got married in down town Ottawa and we booked a block of rooms for out of town guests at this hotel. A few of us stayed for three nights and some of the guests stayed for one night. From start, making the reservations, to finish, checking out, and making some changes along the way, this hotel to great to deal with. The G.M., Nancy, always returned emails or phone calls and the front staff were very accommodating. I had booked to use their wheelchair for my 90 year old mom and there it was waiting for us. Also the location is perfect to stay at if you want to be in walking distance to enjoy some of the sites in down town Ottawa. I would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your 5 star review! We’re very happy that during such a busy time, we were able to do the little things, like making sure your mother could use our wheelchair, so that you could focus on what was most important, your son’s wedding! We always aim to give our guests the best customer service and feel honoured when guests have chosen to stay with us. Our location is perfect for everyone, whether here for work or pleasure, as there is so much to see and do all within a very short walk.

Again, we’re glad you had such a good stay with us and we look forward to hosting your next visit to Ottawa!

Mont-Saint-Hilaire, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Vary spacious and beautiful rooms. Bed comfortable, high end furniture and computer friendly environment. Free underground parking is great in the wintertime!
Will definitely return on my next trip to Ottawa.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Customer R, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Thank you so much for the positive review! We are happy to know you had a great stay.

Our rooms, along with the public areas, Bistro and hallways were remodelled recently. We’re glad to hear that you found your stay comfortable.

Parking is available on site for an additional cost of $20 (with taxes). However, there are some packages and promotions that may include parking for the guests stay.

We are so pleased to hear we will be seeing you in the future. Thank you once again for providing us with your feedback.
-Monica Schoeni

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Ottawa Downtown? Share your experiences!