“Better than expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Chimo Hotel

Save Saved
You added Chimo Hotel to your Saves list
Chimo Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1199 Joseph Cyr Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1J 7T4, Canada   |
Ranked #50 of 67 hotels in Ottawa
Montreal, Canada
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Wife and I slept there last sept 27th. Got a room through priceline.com and upgraded to the king size bed. After landing on this hotel I went here to look at reviews and was somewhat expecting things to be... bad. Well, it was not bad at all. Check in, location (close to highway but not too close for the noise to be a problem), cleanliness, service, and breakfast (included for me) was all great. The bed is somewhat too soft for my taste, but I guess that can vary.

Don't let the bad review fool you: it's a great deal.

Room Tip: King size bed rooms are on the top floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
YourChimoTeam, General Manager at Chimo Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear "Tracedebreak "

Thank you for sharing your recent experience, I aggree, In reality we successfuly host hundreds of guests everyday. We appreciate your time and comment invested into this one.

399 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Recent stay (1 night) at Chimo in Ottawa Ontario on Joseph Cyr Street was very favorable. The hotel property is clean and rooms quite spacious. This property is a bit on the fringe of downtown Ottawa, (eastern side), so you'll want to plan ahead if you expect to take in the center of town sights such as Parliament and the business district. On-site free parking is a benefit, especially in Ottawa. Found the room clean and furnishings mostly updated. Tried the restaurant (Clancy's) for breakfast which brought my overall rating down a little. Clancy's is certainly dated and the wait-staff forget to bring a couple of specifically requested items to the table. This property will transition to a Holiday Inn Express over the next year, so it will be interesting to see how that affects service and accommodations. I have stayed in many of the Ottawa hotels over the past few years...this one could be a gem with a little more attention.

Room Tip: Most rooms appear to be quite spacious, corner rooms a bit more.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear "TangledwoodNH"

Thank you for your recent post...we took note of your comments and will be putting them to good use

Regards

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel many times over the past 12 years. It always comes up on Hotwire for east Ottawa 3 star. Great hotel for the price. Not much for the hotel restaurant the Lone Star next store is better hand down. I do also like the mall across the street, great place to walk in the winter months. All and all clean hotel for the money and I will continue to stay.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear "Michael M "

Thank you for your recent contribution and moreso for your loyalty

It is always a pleasure to welcome you through our doors

Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Check In Was Great, Parking Was Great, I picked up a luggage cart unloaded the car and My Wife and I proceeded to our room, After about 10 minutes in the room My Wife Found Some Issues with the room she did not like, So We decided to speak to the Manager on Duty, Mark Who Was The Manager on Duty Handled The Situation Immediately, We Had Just Driven For 8 Hours And Wanted To Get Showered and Head Off To Bed, Mark Decided To Upgrade Us To A Suite, We checked out of the previous room and into the Suite, Upon Inspection Of The Suite We Were Very Very Happy, Thank You Mark For All Your Help, One Thing That You Need To Know Is With A Buffet Breakfast At The Breakfast Room Juice Is Not Included But The Coffee Was Great Along With Buffet and Breakfast Menu, Service In The Buffet Was The Normal Service.
Because Of The Service We Received From "Mark" We Will Be Going Back When Staying In Ottawa Again

Room Tip: The Rooms Higher Up Have A Terrific View and The Corner Suites Are Large And Very Well Laid Out., 2...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear" Retired2004"

Thank you for taking the time invested in your recent post...Mark and the rest of our will appreciate the comments ....

Tour Chimo Team
Sterling Heights, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I love the banquet staff at this hotel, especially Samira Moussa! Whenever I have a meeting, I set up way too early. Samira greeted me cheerfully and thanked me for doing business with the hotel. She brought me coffee. Because of her, I was able to set up early and go enjoy breakfast with a coworker. I later discovered I'd failed to tell the breakfast room server that I had only a cold buffet. Since I was charged for a full buffet, I didn't think I'd be able to get a refund, especially since I noticed the overcharge after the restaurant had closed (and I had paid cash). Samira took personal responsibility and introduced me to Lucy Ramos in sales, who happily refunded the ENTIRE cost of my breakfast because of the inconvenience. I was thrilled because I hadn't expected to get anything back and, if I did receive a refund, I expected it would only be for the difference between the hot and cold buffet. There was an ample selection of fresh fruit on the buffet and it was quite lovely.

Room Tip: The rooms are not fancy but they are pleasantly appointed.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the review, Glad the team turned things around !

Regards

Your Chimo team
quebec
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

we arrived late.check in was quick.the room was okay, but the carpet looks old and lots of stains on it. that night we found out the bath tub has drainage problem. it took a very long time for the water to drain.called the reception and was told the maintenance will only be available the next day.the next day my husband went out and wont be back until night due to his business. i went out to the mall and when i came back i couldnt enter the room , seems that the room key isnt working. so i told the receptionist, she told me i have to wait for the manager who is on lunch break , since the booking is under my husband's name they could not issue a new card. waited for more than half an hour and nobody care to inform me whether the manager has come back or not. i had to ask them again for the manager, and guess what, the manager has already came back from lunch and nobody bothers to inform me and just leave me waiting at the lobby.i know its their procedure to not give away a new card easily but they could have inform me when the manager has come back right?
anyway, the maintenance did come to fix the bath tub problem.but after he left, the drainage problem still occurs. had to wait long time for the water to drain , what a hassle.
overall this is a basic place but the location is good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear "nz146 " :

We apologies for the disapointing series of events. Although a isolated incident, We would welcome the opportunity to lern more details of your recent stay so that we may use this unfortunate exemple to better focus our training innitiatives.

Please contact me when ever convenient to review the incedent and more importantly how we may correct this.

JP Benjamin 613 744 1060
ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I have been going there for years and really enjoy the atmosphere.
I have also tried other hotels in this area but the chimo is still my favorite by far.We usually meet there with family from out of town and it is also the rest of families favorite , also the kids really like the year round pool.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear "mike l" :

Thank you for sharing your experience and look forward to welcoming you again soon

Your Chimo Team

Been to Chimo Hotel? Share your experiences!