“Good place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chimo Hotel

You added Chimo Hotel to your Saves list
Chimo Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1199 Joseph Cyr Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1J 7T4, Canada   |
Ranked #48 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Newmarket, Canada
“Good place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

Booked a room online, when arrived wrong type of room was reserved for our party size. We were given an upgrade without question or additional charge. Room was great. Breakfast buffet good quality and great value. Nice pub in hotel with decent menu and open late for late dinner. Kids liked the pool and sauna. Exercise room is functional.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

Everything wad perfect if not for a slow bath drain. The bed was comfy, the room clean. Not to far from city center, the cinema and cite collegial. Will go back next time.

• Stayed February 2012
YourChimoTeam, General Manager at Chimo Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2012
Dear "Brobit"

Thank ou for taking the time to write about your stay. As with all the other guests that share similar comments outside of this medium, we appreciate the positive feedback.

Good or bad, we share all of our comments with our associates and I know that this one will bring a smile on their faces.

Sincerly

Your Chimo Team
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

On a recent 3 night stay that I had preapid with a credit card, I was told I had to place a $150 deposit for 'incidentals like movie rentals'. Unless the movies are about $50 each this seems unreasonable. I did not have the sufficient cash on me (I had about $35 on me which he declined to accept) and I went across the street to the TD bank to make a withdrawal and my account had exceeded it's limit for the day. When I explained this to the male front desk clerk, that I would have the deposit later that evg, he said 'sorry but that is our policy' and he was not going to let me check in. I insisted on speaking to the manager and upon giving my passport and promising to bring the deposit down later that day I was 'allowed' to occupy my room. Needless to say I did bring the deposit down by 7pm that evg. This 'check in experience' left such a bitter taste in my mouth that I will NOT be returning. The room was fine, otherwise, although the common area carpets and there were children crying and running up and down the hallways. I also heard the hotel had a recent problem with bed bugs, which could happen anywhere I imagine. The inflexibility on the $150 deposit was the 'deal breaker' for me, not allowing me to check in initially even to contact someone to get the money from (I live in Ontario and know people in Ottawa) was so odious as to make me want to discourage others from frequenting such a 'mean spirited' and 'inflexible' policy.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

We were quite disheartened to read your review. We have obviously investigated with the associate in question and the two Managers present at the time of check in, all three interviews (conducted individually) the results of which show discrepencies in the sequence of events.

Policies and Procedures are present in any type of business. Because of the nature of the hospitality industry, we do recognize that the observance of policies and procedures can potentially be interpreted as offensive and apologies if indeed this was the case.

Knowing the importance of guest feedback and its potential effects on any business, we are determined more than ever to endeavor in our everyday operations to make every stay a positive one, as sometimes whether intended or not, sometimes justified or not, the details, language and tones of some comments found on line may be indicative of motivations beyond disappointment.

For the benefit of our readers and for the record, our Professional Preventative Pest Control Program continue to show clean of any type of problem. including Bed bugs.

In any case, it is clear this particular stay was below expectations. And given the severe discrepancies described above, we would welcome the opportunity to talk and discuss the incident in question, make the appropriate adjustments and make it right ...for both of us

Sincerly,

Your Chimo Team.
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Though the room was relatively clean this hotel is very very tired and in need of an overhaul to bring it up to snuff. Not sure how this place is a 3 star when at best it's a 1.5-2. Unless this place is renovated big time, I will not likely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

Please let me preface this by saying I’m not normally a complainer. I don’t expect everything to be perfect and fancy, just reasonable. Read other reviews by me and you’ll see that’s true. This place however took the cake.

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights. The front desk staff was friendly and efficient during check which only took about 5 minutes to complete but our room and the facilities just weren’t up to par.

The first thing we noticed when we entered the room was that the carpet was disgusting. It was covered in large stains from the entry all the way to other end of the room and the room had a musty, damp odor. It looked and smelled like a frat party had recently happened in there.

The bedding was worn and had holes in it. Not just the bedspread but the sheets and the secondary blanket too. The bed itself was so sunken in the middle that during the night we kept rolling into each other. We tried the other bed too but it was no better.

The room was also freezing. We turned up the heat as per the instructions on the unit but even with the heat going full blast the unit was still spitting out a steady stream of cold air which we were told was “normal”.

The bathroom was fine but the tub doesn’t really drain – it takes forever. From reading other reviews this is pretty standard at this hotel. I didn’t think that would bother me but when I was standing in calf deep water it kind of did.

We were given a room near the elevators and the sound was terrible. All night long the sound of the elevators and the chatter of people coming off them kept waking us up. There was also a large group of unaccompanied teenagers on our floor for the first two nights and they kept running up and down the hall or sitting outside their rooms laughing and chatting until the wee hours. On the weekend we had noise of the bar right underneath us with music thumping until midnight. We didn’t get a single decent night’s sleep while staying here.

The breakfast buffet was okay. When we got to the restaurant most of the trays and all of the juice bottles at the buffet were empty. We mentioned this to a staff member and were told to take a seat, someone was currently taking care of it. 20 minutes later the food was replenished and there was a crowd of people rushing to get their breakfast. We were nearly late for the trade show we were participating in.

Speaking of, after a long day on our feet we came back hoping to take a soak in the hot tub only to be told it was indefinitely closed. Not really impressive considering it was one of the reasons we chose the hotel.

We did complain about all of the above but there was no resolution, at all. We would have changed hotels but with the schedule of the show we were attending we just didn’t have time to find new digs.

I think it’s safe to say that we won’t be staying here again. And the company I work for will no longer be using this venue for its staff. A huge disappointment. You can find something better at the same price for sure.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
YourChimoTeam, General Manager at Chimo Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
Dear "dotledge"

First let us apologize for the circumstances described above. We have looked into all of your comments with great focus and initiated corrective actions to prevent recurrence.

More importantly, contrary to the impressions left from the above; we ARE committed to our guests and believe that despite this experience, we have the ability to include you in our loyal customer base by addressing your discontent personally and provide an opportunity for you to benefit from our services to the fullest. .

We look forward to your call...

Regards

Your CHIMO Team.
Seguin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

Stains and dirty carpets in rooms and hallways. Mattresses are saggy and really need to be replaced. Mismatched furniture in rooms. Our desk chair was a kitchen chair. If rooms were clean this could be overlooked as this is most important to us. Nice and friendly staff. Close to shopping!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear " DMDTParrySound "

Thank you for your recent post , Your comments are valued and will play a great role in future initiatives undertaken at property level. While it is true that some rooms are more " seasoned " then others, We are convinced that we have accommodations that can meet and exceed your requirements. We would welcome the opportunity to have you experience one of them at your earliest convenience as therefore invite you to contact us directly upon making your next travel arrangements to Ottawa.

We look forward to hearing from you soon

Regards

Your Chimo Tea\m
london, ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

Rooms were ready and clean even though we showed up a little early. The buffet breakfast was good value. Some of us had the hot and some the continental. Food was well supplied and kept fresh. Staff friendly and attentive. We have stayed at the Chimo an average of twice a year for the last 3 years with always the good outcome. Some of the rooms need updating.

Room Tip: Good shopping at the mall across the street including a liquor store.