Say what you will about the Chateau Laurier. I have never had anything but positive experiences when staying here.
I will concede that many of the rooms are terribly dated and small. But they are spotless, well-appointed and generously furnished. However, if I have ever been unsatisfied with a room given to me, I ask to be moved to a renovated floor. The front desk staff are always accommodating to my requests.
The bathrooms are magnificent, however, with floor to ceiling marble, gold fixtures, a deep tub and great showerhead.
The beds are always spacious and comfortable and, in my experience, no room has a bad view.
I agree with many of the other reviewers that parking at the Chateau Laurier is a total rip off. They are taking advantage of their prime downtown location - which is one of the hotel's best characteristics. It's close to everything, including the Rideau Centre for shopping and the Byward Market for great eats.
Sadly, the pool is also very small and causes for cramped swimming with other guests. I have previously inquired with the management as to why these facilities have never been expanded. I was told that Fairmont is keen to keep the historical feel and design of its bath-style pool at the Chateau, apparently one of the few hotel pools of this kind that are left in the world. That's a nice sentiment, but doesn't make my swim experience any better!
What Fairmont lacks on a material level, they make up for with the superb customer service they offer. I have always maintained that Fairmont's best attribute is the people it has working for it. The people at the Chateau Laurier are among the best in the business.
There is a high price tag for staying at this hotel, but overall, I would say it's worth it. Check the Fairmont website for their internet promotions which are usually great deals (I often stay here when these sales are available). Also, Fairmont gives discounts for gov't employees or certain company affiliations.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Reflecting the confidence, dignity and style of Ottawa, Fairmont Chateau Laurier stands as a testament to this dynamic, thriving city. Located in the heart of Canada's capital next door to the Parliament Buildings, the landmark Fairmont Chateau Laurier hotel in Ottawa is a magnificent limestone edifice with turrets and masonry reminiscent of a French chateau. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your Fairmont Chateau Laurier reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairmont Chateau Laurier Hotel Ottawa
- Fairmont Hotel Ottawa
- Fairmont Hotel Chateau Laurier
- Fairmont Ottawa
- Ottawa Fairmont