“Looks are deceiving” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 66 hotels in Ottawa
Sudbury, Canada
“Looks are deceiving”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I was in Ottawa on the May long weekend, without reservations. I was traveling with a family member who remembered the good old days of motels on Montreal Road, and getting a great price for what we now expect from a typical Comfort Inn.

Beacon Hill looked not too bad from the road. It is painted up country cottage cute in white with red trim, so from the outside, it looked like it could be passable.

Unfortunately, not. We got the key to an available room to check it out, and it was bad. Old carpeting and furnishings. Small cramped room with one double bed and one single, at 90 degrees to each other to fit them both in. The bed linens were old and shabby. I did pull one bed apart to check for bed bugs and didn't see any, but the "white" sheets were yellowed with age.

The bathroom was very tiny and cramped with dingy towels, and old fixtures.

The place is pretty pathetic. Needless to say, we didn't stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
razza n, General Manager at Beacon Hill Motel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Since 2009 our rooms have not had carpets, and since then all bathrooms were fully renovated in 2011.

Our staff is able to make any request happen if for some reason our establishment is not up to your satisfaction. Your comminication is vital and please management encourages our customers to speak with the staff upon arrival into your room. Additional services such as more toiletries, iron, hair dryer, kettle and anything regarding our great city of Ottawa our staff will help.

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

I have stayed at motels in Toronto and was my first time staying at one in Ottawa and I have to say to all the people who left complaints about this motel being scary and dirty or what not, try staying at one in Toronto!! This motel was perfect for the price. It was very clean and the staff were accomodating and very nice. I have no complaints about this motel. I would suggest it to anyone who is looking for a cheap stop off during thier trip.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

Just back from a trip to Canada in September. Myself my husband plus mother and father-in-law stayed here as we had been travelling all day and 4 other hotels were full. So, it was last minute, late night stop.

Good things first: the room was as clean as it could be under the circumstances.

Bad now: It looked like the furniture was out of a skip
Bare wires showing
Crawlies coming out of the overflow and plug hole in sink
No doors on cupboards and drawers in kitchen area
Bedside lamps not working

Worst of all - when we returned after a meal out the door to our room just swung open. No lock!

I sat up all night in bed with my clothes on as I couldn't rest with the thought that anybody could walk in. I consoled myself with the thought that it was just like being in a weird tent.

The two guys running the motel are really nice and helpful but be forewarned, cheap is not always acceptable.

I don't like to give bad reviews but feel people should know what we experienced.

Room Tip: See this place in daylight. Check there is a lock on the door.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011 via mobile

We stayed for one night at this motel and because it was July 1st, they charged us $100. I'm assuming that on regular days, it's cheaper. When we entered the room, we weren't too pleased about the asthetics of the place. Everything was clean, but the hardwood floor was popping out in areas, the bathroom was due for a renovation, and the beds sat on pieces of wood, which didn't seem all that stable. I can't say that I would go hete again considering the amount of money I paid. I would only consider staying if the cost was around $40 or $50 for a night. I'd look somewhere else though no matter what the cost if the visit was to be more than 2 nights.

• Stayed July 2011
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

I was in Ottawa on business and usually stay downtown but this time my budget has been cut so I looked up Beacon Hill and I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms were very cleaned and at the end of the day that's all I cared about. I wanted a clean bed and a shower and I got both!! I like the front desk guy, he was very curtious and helpful with knowledge of the city. I will be returning.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Brossard, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

The staff.....impecable.
The rooms........clean, spacious, comfortable and quiet.
Location.....incredibly conveniant. (Just drive straight down the street to reach downtown and Parliament Hill)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

Room was renovated and clean had a microwave and fridge with a sink. A great find, especially, if getting in early hours of the morning as I did. Although, not the laurier or elgin but also not the price or with the restrictions on check in times. Had I known it was this nice my trip before this one would have stayed here and went to the meeting there instead of rushing around trying to find something downtown.Bathroom was nice plush towels and not a speck of dirt had been missed.anywhere I had my college daughter with me she was impressed with the network as was I great for the business person also college kids often have online classes or projects that must be turned in so steady net with no drops and good bandwidth is a must. I was extremely impressed for the price . Front desk was amazingly pleasant and helpful. Hours of service were convenient for the extended trip traveler which has many a time left me staying in lesser accommodations due to my odd arrival times.traveling back and forth. .I was impressed enough to leave a tip in the room for whomever cleans the rooms as it was spotless and one when i dropped off the key in future i will not be hunting through bed and breakfast places etc trying to convince them to hold a room past 6 until my train bus or plane gets in .They had a computer available as well as printing and fax services..Although, it did not have a restaurant there were several close by including right next door. Other essential needs were close by including a bank right next door. Daughter loved the chair and wanted to sleep in even though she detests pink it must have been some chair ,never seen that before could not pry her out of it, she thought it was so soft and comfy her words...

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Beacon Hill Motel? Share your experiences!