“Great Suite Hotel... quiet location downtown” 4 of 5 stars

Albert at Bay Suite Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   435 Albert Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1R 7X4, Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Great Suite Hotel... quiet location downtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 weeks in January, and I have to say, for the most part, I was impressed.

The suite I stayed in was large, well kept, and fairly modern. The hotel has plenty of amenities, including a pub, restaurant and a 24-hour convenience store on site. The pub and restaurant were average, but adequate. The location of the hotel is on the west side of downtown, so you do have a bit of walk to get to the more lively part of downtown (Byward Market, Elgin St.)... which, when I was last there I really didn't want to do in -40 degree weather.

My only complaint is that they use the Lodgenet television service, which I really despise. Other suite hotels in the area use regular cable services, which are far superior (and when you're stay for 2-3 weeks, you do tend to watch a bit of tv from time to time). But other than that, this is a good spot to rest your head, especially when you want a bit more space.

Stayed January 2013
AlbertBaySuiteHotel, Front Office Manager at Albert at Bay Suite Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013

Thank you for choosing The Albert at Bay Suite Hotel.

We are happy to see your review posted here on Trip Advisor. Thank you for taking the time to do this. I am sorry to hear that you are not pleased with Lodgenet television services. I have passed this message forward to our General Manager to review. We appreciate that suggestion.

Thank you as well for the very kind words in regards to your stay. We look forward to hosting you again soon!

Amanda Craig

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

The rooms are big, but that's everything they have to offer. The breakfast is not included and there's no breakfast at all. There's a dépanneur inside the hotel where you can buy your own stuff to cook your own breakfast.

I paid $184 for a suite and, honestly, it wasn't worth it. There was a coffee maker in the kitchen, but the coffee was decaf. A few bags of tea and 2 oreos. They could, they totally could, offer more amenities for that price. Big rooms, and a totally empty kitchen don't make you a great hotel. I won't be recommending you, and when I come back to Ottawa, I will find another hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Renata R.,

Thank you for choosing The Albert at Bay Suite Hotel.

We appreciate that you took the time to share your review online. Comments from our guests help us to grow towards becoming the top choice hotel in Ottawa. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. Our kitchens are equipped with dishes, utensils, silverware, pots and pans, a toaster, coffee maker and glasses and mugs. I am sorry as well that only decaf coffee was found in your room. I can also assure you that we normally stock all of the rooms with one each or caffeinated and decaf and I apologize for the error.

I do hope that we will have an opportunity to host you again. I would be happy to further discuss your stay and any possible recommendations you may have to add to our kitchens or any other part of the suite. I can be reached at amanda@albertatbay.com or 613-238-8858.

Thank you again for staying with us.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Not only are the rooms ridiculously large, they have a full kitchen, a great bed and a nice bathroom. The front desk was helpful and friendly. I don't write reviews very often, but felt compelled to write one for this excellent property - and I stay at A LOT of hotels for business!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Albert at Bay Suite Hotel. We are also very appreciative that you took the time to post a review for the Trip Advisor community.

We are looking forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Ottawa!

Aurora, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel for the price. The rooms are huge and very quiet. Close to most of the business district and their are several decent restaurants in the area. Beds are very comfortable as well. Only downside is the hallways are dated and a little smelly. Reception staff was very accommodating.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
AlbertBaySuiteHotel, Front Office Manager at Albert at Bay Suite Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at The Albert at Bay Suite Hotel.

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience online, thank you. It is so nice to see that you enjoyed the hotel and found our staff accommodating. I am also happy to report that as we do plan to continue renovations in the hotel soon and the hallways are going to be our next project.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This hotel is our #1 choice, its clean, beautiful, huge and just like home. We've been at this hotel over 10 times in the last year. The service from the reception is perfect, very friendly and always trying to accommodate you the best way they can. The only sad part for me is that we are frequent guest and unfortunately they do not offer any specials for frequent guest such as maybe free night after a number of stay or free parking or even perhaps an upgrade. I do understand this is a private hotel and not a chain hotel but still, acknowledging their frequent guest would only show their appreciation toward them.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
AlbertBaySuiteHotel, Front Office Manager at Albert at Bay Suite Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Albert at Bay Suite Hotel when you visit Ottawa.

I want to thank you as well for taking the time to post your comments online. We appreciate that you mentioned the staff, we believe they are our greatest asset. I do apologize that you are disappointed in regards to a frequent stay program. Though we are unable to offer points and not a chain, we do our best to provide "affordable elegance" so our guests can benefit from better rates than our competition. We also make it our mission to provide the best customer service in Ottawa.

If you are looking to stay more frequently, we can also arrange for you to speak to our Sales office in regards to negotiating a corporate rate.

If I can be of further assistance with regards to our hotel, please contact me personally at 613-238-8858 or amanda@albertatbay.com.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Woodbridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Such a nice surprise! Apartment was huge, with 2 beautifully furnished bedrooms and 2 bathrooms! Super clean, quiet and nice! Matresses were very comfy And you have a cushion menu to pick from!! There is a good size convenience store 24/7 attached to the hotel with a big variety of snacks, tea, coffee and everything else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Albert at Bay Suite Hotel. We are so pleased to see that you were amazed by our hotel. Thank you for taking the time to share this with the Trip Advisor community.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Ottawa again soon!

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I like this hotel because it feels like home. It's newly refurbished, elegant pieces and a full kitchen. I like going to restaurants but I also like bringing food in and eating in my suite.

Great staff, clean property and a short walk from Wellington St and beautiful Parliament buildings and Bymarket!

Room Tip: All rooms have a balcony so fresh air is available. You're not just in a hotel room.