“Disappointing Experience” 1 of 5 stars

Description: Intersection of Bank and Alta Vista
Description: Intersection of Bank and Alta Vista
“Disappointing Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I am a HUGE fan of Thai food and generally jump at the opportunity to try a new restaurant suggestion. If someone suggests that you even consider Sala Thai, I suggest that you proceed with great caution.

Shrimp Spring rolls – The dark-colored tube down the back of a shrimp is its intestinal track, and harbors bacteria. My husband had the great pleasure of biting into one of the spring rolls and seeing just that – a big black spot. When brought to the attention of the waitress, she told us “it’s just the texture”. After refusing to eat the appetizer, she finally offered a vegetarian option and soon after presented him with a single spring roll.

Thom Yum Gai – This is a very simple soup to make, but was a BIG miss at Sala Thai. The soup had no flavor whatsoever, was cold and had an aroma that resembled dirty socks. I had one spoon full and set it aside. When ask by the waitress how it was, I told her that it was not good. She simply left it beside me and wandered away.

Lunch special – While I gather that the entrée portions of the lunch special were palatable, the soup was, once again, a big miss. Watery, bland and cold best described it. These bowls of soup joined my Thom Yum Gai off to the side of the table, and there they remained.

Papaya Salad – This was my entrée and again, was completely inedible. The salad was swimming in a pool of, what had to have been, fish sauce. I generally order this type of salad each time I am out for Thai, and I have never been served such a disgraceful dish. Need I say it – I had one bite, left the rest of the dish untouched.

Of the three appetizers, three soups and three entrées that were ordered - one appetizer, all three soups and one entrée were not touched. All however, were charged for, to the tune of $65.00.

Upon paying the bill, we decided that a tip was not in order, due to the lack of adjustments. Why should I pay for a meal that I didn’t get to eat? Furthermore, our service was pretty lousy and service recovery was next to non-existent. All of this must have been a surprise to the waitress who bluntly informed us that “tip is not included”.

If you are in the Alta Vista area and have a craving for Thai food, forgo Sala Thai, spend the money on gas and drive 5 minutes down Bank to Siam Kitchen.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“Very sad”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We always go to either Sala Thai or Sweet Basil for a thai lunch. Today, we decided to go to Sala Thai. I've enjoyed their curry dishes and their Pad Bai Gra Prow. A friend of mine raved about their Mango Salad so I thought I'd give it a try. It had way too much vinegar or something but the salad was nothing special...I had better elsewhere. I was of the way through when I started to chew into one of the shrimp and it still had it's shell. I immediately had to spit it up. It still feels like I have remnants of it in my throat. I couldn't bring myself to eat the rest, and when the waitress came, I told the waitress and she said that "Sometimes we leave the tail on" but it wasn't the tail. She offered to pack it up but I told her that I didn't and couldn't eat anymore. She gave me the hurried "I'm so sorry" and brought the bill. I was still charged the entire $15.45 for the dish and nothing else was offered to me.

So no more Sala Thai for me - I'll venture a couple of minutes down the road for Sweet Basil instead.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“My favorite Thai place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

This is the best spot for Thai food. Price is pretty average, but the food is awesome. I love the red curry chicken and the tofu pad thai. There's always lots of seating. The place is hard to see from the road, so you need to be watching for it. It's in a strip mall. They have good lunch specials during the week. Big menu and lots of seating. I've been there in a large group (~15) and they were able to accomodate us. Service is great.

Visited January 2012
“Good Thai food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Always reliable. Good neighbourhood restaurant. Go for the food, not the decor. Pad thai is a favourite, as are the tofu dishes. Food is fresh and well prepared. Packs for take out - generous portions. Good for the family too. I've been eating for years!

• Visited August 2012