“Nothing Special” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The National Hotel and Suites Ottawa

and 1 more site!
You added The National Hotel and Suites Ottawa to your Saves list
The National Hotel and Suites Ottawa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   361 Queen Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1R 7S9, Canada (Formerly Delta Ottawa Hotel and Suites) (Byward Market Area)   |
Ranked #39 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
“Nothing Special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night while visiting our daughter at uOttawa. We checked in at 10pm and out by 10am so we really weren't there long. The lobby is lovely, that staff very professional and friendly, the parking lot good, the bed comfortable, the room large. The weird light fixture above the sink in the bathroom was full of mold....not good. The room had a large balcony - but no furniture, no view to speak of, nothing amazing. TV is old. We had a coffee maker with good coffee, small fridge and microwave. All in all - ok, not great, but not bad either. Not sure I would stay there again....will probably try somewhere else.

I rated the cleanliness low - but this is mostly due to the mold in the bathrooms. The room itself was clean.

We booked through Hotwire and paid about $130 including tax. Not a bad price, but we did check in very late.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Darryll H, General Manager at The National Hotel and Suites Ottawa, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Guest; What you experienced is certainly not The National Hotel's standard and I do apologize. I have brought the concern to our Executive Housekeeper, and we have conducted an inspection to ensure this concern is addressed asap. I'm delighted that you did enjoy your stay. I do hope that you will reconsider and try us again...

Darryll Hunter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Saskatchewan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I stayed at the National for the first time for business and was pleased with the size and style of the room and amenities offered. My only criticisms are these:
Not enough light in bathroom; wallpaper makes it look more dingy
No heat generated by changing thermostat temp
I will address the heat issue before I check out; other than that I will stay again.

• Stayed September 2013
Darryll H, General Manager at The National Hotel and Suites Ottawa, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write an excellent review regarding your most recent stay with us. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay in our fabulous suites. I have taken note of your comments and will be addressing them. Again Thank You! for a great review.

Kind Regards

Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

This used to be a solid 3.5 star hotel but it is in need of a major renovation.
First the good things : Excellent, comfortable bed in my room. Quiet room...no hallway noise. Free wifi worked perfectly. Door to balcony opened so could get fresh air. Good water pressure and amenities in washroom. Great location in western part of central business district....walkable to most sights of interest in Ottawa. Employees at front desk were efficient and pleasant. Reserved through a third-party site so got a room on the lowest floor...but rate was totally acceptable.
Now the bad : Hallways are dismal. On my floor a large painting had been removed and the screws/hooks left in place. Hallway furniture was in bad shape. In my assigned room there was a burn in the sheer drapery covering the very dirty balcony windows. Old-school television in a cabinet. Stained, over-used rug.
This could be an excellent property but since the change in ownership it has definitely gone downhill. Maybe they inherited a hotel in poor shape. Nothing that a detailed/expensive renovation could not fix.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Darryll H, General Manager at The National Hotel and Suites Ottawa, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post a good review regarding your most recent stay at the hotel. The hotel is looking at refreshing the rooms over the next few months and will be addressing the items you have mentioned. Again Thank You for your review. I do look forward to hosting you again on your next trip to Ottawa.

Marathon, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at The National Hotel & Suites for 8 nights the last week of August while moving our son to school in Ottawa. Being as we live a 14 hour drive from there, we took 2 days to get there. We did get there a bit early on the day of check in, but they let us check in no problems at all. When we got to our room, there was no microwave, but as soon as I called to inquire, they brought us one immediately. The room was clean when we arrived, and made up daily every day we were there. We could not have asked for better customer service than we got. The front desk staff and the cleaning staff were a pleasure to deal with.

Also, it is in a top notch location for tourists. This was our first trip to Ottawa and we were so pleased that by chance, we got a hotel that was within walking distance to the Parliament buildings, Sparks Street, Byward Market, Rideau Centre, The War Memorial and countless other tourist attractions as well as having all the beauty of the biking trails right there.

This may have been our first trip to Ottawa and our first stay at The National Hotel & Suites, but I can guarantee that it will not be our last.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post a great review regarding your most recent stay at the hotel! I’m pleased you found our suites clean and comfortable and enjoyed our fabulous location and most importantly you enjoyed our service. Thank You! I do look forward to hosting you again on your next trip to Ottawa.

Newhaven, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Booked into the National as part of a package for a Regimental Reunion. What a good choice.Excellent room,,,,Excellent service. Slight problem with the electronics key which was quickly sorted. Free wifi which was quick and easy to access. Even at my age I was happy to walk to most things I wanted to see, but if you wanted a cab there was one at the front door.

Room Tip: higher the better
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post a great review regarding your most recent stay at the hotel! I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Looking forward to hosting you on your next trip back to Ottawa.

Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

This hotel is well run, and has actually improved remarkably over the past year and a half in terms of quality, and cleanliness. The restaurant is good - but it is not in a great neighbourhood. It is far away from practically everything which one might want to do in Ottawa (business and pleasure) so it can be quite a hike at times to get to where you want to go. It is clean, but the rooms need a bit of an update.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post a good review regarding your past with us. I'm delighted you enjoyed the quality and cleaniness of the hotel. Thank you for your comments and I do look forward to hosting you again in future!

Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This hotel is in a decent part of the city but is in need of some upgrades and some front desk staff that are friendlier.
Stayed for 2 nights this trip, not my first time at the hotel, but it is going down hill. After the first night of the air conditioner not working I asked at the front desk the next morning if it could be fixed, got back that evening and all they did was open a window, not what you'd expect from a hotel with 3.5 star rating.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest, What you experienced is certainly not our standard by any means and I do deeply apologize. We have looked into how the repsonse of your request was handled and we are taking action to ensure a similiar occurance does not happen again. The hotel is also looking at refershing the rooms in the up-coming months. Please feel free to contact if you wish to discuss this matter further.

Darryll Hunter

Been to The National Hotel and Suites Ottawa? Share your experiences!