“Better than any 4-5 star hotel for service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The National Hotel and Suites Ottawa

Save Saved
You added The National Hotel and Suites Ottawa to your Saves list
The National Hotel and Suites Ottawa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   361 Queen Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1R 7S9, Canada (Formerly Delta Ottawa Hotel and Suites) (Byward Market Area)   |
Ranked #39 of 67 hotels in Ottawa
pembroke
“Better than any 4-5 star hotel for service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

We went to ottawa recently to celebrate our sons 18th birthday we put a request in for a balcony with river view. We arrived signed in and were amazed with the room had all our requests, bathrobes, king bed, pull out sofa and chair. Very large bathroom and the room was exceptionally spotless. The room maid were friendly in fact all workers went out of their way to make you feel welcome and fill all your needs. We got better service here then we have had at some 5 star hotels, hotel was clean and well kept and in close proximity to the byward market, war museum(could see from our room), spark street etc. i will most definitely make this hotel my first choice again. Only dislike was the amount of kids in the pool jumping in all over people while parents did nothing same with the hot tub.

Room Tip: delta king room with balcony and riverview
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
KTurpin, Manager at The National Hotel and Suites Ottawa, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Delta Ottawa Hotel & Suites. We’re pleased to have been a part of your son’s very special celebration and glad to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Rest assured your kind comments have been shared with all of our Team Members. We look forward to welcoming you back to Delta Ottawa Hotel & Suites

341 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Hilton, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

I stayed at the Delta Ottawa Hotel & Suites 4/21/11-4/24/11. I was attending a hockey tournament.
Check in was very quick & we were in our room in just a few moments. Parking was $19/day which is about normal for downtown hotels in any major city.
We got a two bedroom suite, with a small kitchenette, & a large living area. It's always nice to have the extra bedroom.
However, the room was quite dated & in need of refurbishing. The rugs were stained, the furniture actually had rips in the fabric & the sofa bed cushions were totally shapeless. The bathroom was clean but old--the tub & sink even had old fashioned rubber stoppers on chains. The TV was a CRT at least 7 or 8 years old. Mattresses were firm, comfortable & the sheets were crisp & clean, no problem there.
I must emphasize that the room was old, but clean!
Another plus was the location. It was just a short walk to Parliament Hill & shopping.
We received a discounted price ($100/nitecn) because the tournament booked a large block of rooms.
I only ate once at hotel, the breakfast buffet for $16.99cn.
Since we were just a bunch of guys the shabbiness of the rooms (all said their rooms were similar to ours) was no big deal--they were clean!
If the rooms had been updated I could easily add 1 star to review.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
KTurpin, Manager at The National Hotel and Suites Ottawa, responded to this review, May 3, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We're pleased to learn you enjoyed the spaciousness of the two-bedroom suite during your stay and found our beds comfortable, crisp and clean. We do agree that some of our suites could use a refresh and look forward to presenting an updated decor to guests in the near future. In the meantime our team is dedicated to pleasing guests with outstanding service and hospitality.
KTurpin
Executive Assistant
montreal, qc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

The service at the front desk was very good and came from friendly, helpful staff. The room was clean, well-maintained and quiet. A few minutes after getting to my room, the front desk called to see if everything was satisfactory. I was disappointed to hear that there was a $10 surcharge to use internet in my room. I was informed that free wireless internet access was available in the hotel lobby, which I tried and which did work well. Still, I am surprised that a hotel of this calibre charges extra for internet use. I have paid less for better overall service and amenities.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
KTurpin, Manager at The National Hotel and Suites Ottawa, responded to this review, May 2, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your kind comments and have shared them with our Team Members. We have also taken note of your suggestions regarding Internet fees and want to assure you that our rates are competitive in downtown Ottawa.
Ajax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

Service - Front desk service was a pleasant experience upon check in and out. Requested a crib which was brought to our room immediately. Housekeeping staff very friendly.
Room - the room was a standard layout and clean. Washroom was clean but would benefit from being updated and couldn't find a vent.
Location - probably good for business, not as good for leisure.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
KTurpin, Manager at The National Hotel and Suites Ottawa, responded to this review, April 21, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We're pleased you enjoyed your stay. It makes us proud to receive positive feedback, which we've shared with our team members. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

Stayed here on business for a week. This hotel is extremely dated and the rooms are in dire need of a makeover. The carpet in the room looked very very old. The room was clean however which is very important. The service however was top notch and the food in the hotel bar was very good. The elevator set up for the hotel was very strange and it seemed we had to walk miles to get to the rooms, it was quite confusing at first. Not a bad place to stay on a business trip but I am not sure I would choose it for a personal trip.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
KTurpin, General Manager at The National Hotel and Suites Ottawa, responded to this review, March 30, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback and mentioning the top notch service, food and cleanliness of our guestrooms. We're sorry you found the guestroom decor outdated.
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

Ottawa was my home for 11 years and going back to visit after two years was a delight. I booked the Delta Ottawa seeing as I was able to get a very good rate. Upon arriving I parked my rental car outfront and went in with luggage to get my vehicle valeted and check-in to find out that they no longer offer valet. I asked the Frotn Desk person to watch my luggage while I went to park my car.

Upon checking in the Front Desk agent was polite and professinal and when I told her I used to live in Ottawa and loved it she gave me a comp upgrade to a suite which, was great! Wish my husbnd would've been able to come visit. The suite was huge, larger than my condo. It had a balcony althouhj, the door was locked so I ws unable to access it. The views were of the Ottawa Gatineau River and Parliament Hill and were really lovely. The room was extremely spacious and clean and well maintained. There was nobath amenities in the bathroom so, I asked a housekeeper in tha hallway for some and she seemed confused. I told her she could come in to take a look if she'd like and she declined and brought me the bath amenities and I thanked her.

I called down for a 5pm wake up call to meet with friends for dinner, drinks, UFC game,etc. and I was never given that wake up call so, I was late, thankfully didn't miss my friends though but the time I had with them was less than I wanted which, angered me that I didn't get the wake-up I requested. When going back to the hotel I also requested a wake-up call in the am and mentioned I didn;t get my 5pm wake-up call and the person on the phone said she'd esure I would get this one. I did set my cell phone and the alarm clock just in case.

The pool was lovely and large, the resteraunt, although I diodn't eat at it looked busy which is always a good sign and they had a convieient little tuck shop in the hotel although the hours were rather conservative and both times I could've used it, it was closed. At check-out I mentioned the lack of 5pm wake-up call causing my tardiness and the main purpose of choosing to stay in Ottawa one night was to see my friends was a bit disheartening and the Front Desk person really didn't seemed fazed by my comment.

All in all this hotel is lovely and in summer is a quick and nice walking distance to the Sparks Street walking area, Parliament Hill, Holt Renfrew and shopping on bank street and a 5 minute drive to direct downtown.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

Maybe I was unlucky, but the staff was not friendly nor helpful. I was also surprised to see that you actually have to pay to make a local phone call and also if you want to log on internet... didn't know it was still possible in 2011... The room was clean and we slept ok, but I don't think it was worth the price we paid

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The National Hotel and Suites Ottawa? Share your experiences!