“Interesting restaurant” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Play Food & Wine

Play Food & Wine
1 York Street, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (Byward Market Area)
613-667-9207
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Calgary
“Interesting restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Service was very good. For my tast scallops was too salty, but when I mention this, they not charge it. I like this attitude.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Not up to par”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

It seemed like a great menu however our meals were cold, portions were small for what we were paying, and flavour was lacking in vegetarian dishes. Desserts were tiny and too unusual. Did not feel satisfied, nor did our friends visiting from toronto. Service was excellent.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
stevebeckta, Owner at Play Food & Wine, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Mokefamily: Thank you so much for coming in to dine at Play. While I am thrilled to read that you found your service to be excellent, I am very sorry to hear that your meal fell short of your expectations. I would love to hear more if you would be open to sharing. I can be reached at sbeckta@beckta.com and hope that we can connect so I can find out what exactly was disappointing for you, and hopefully give you a return experience that is worth raving about.

With many thanks,

Calgary, Canada
“Too much style too little food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I recently took a number of family members to Play for dinner. The atmosphere was simple and the tapas style menu was interesting. The service was excellent but the for the sake of style the portions were very small for the amount of money charged. My family was satisfied with the experience but we all left a little hungry.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear t m: Thank you so much for dining with us at Play recently. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your experience and the service so much but I'm really sorry that you found it lacking in value for you. This is such a central part of what we try to offer, with prices ranging from $6-16 for small plates and most people enjoying three plates to fill themselves up for a special dinner. If you would be open to it, I would love to hear what you ordered in more depth. I can be reached at sbeckta@beckta.com. I hope to hear from you, and to have the opportunity to have you back on another occasion that leaves you feeling full and with a sense of great value.

With many thanks,

Toronto
“Not Up to Expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Not sure why this place is rated so high - the food here was below my expectations.

We ordered the following:
1. Grilled Hangar Steak
The steak was good, not as good as the other people raving
2. Chicken Confit Tostadas
Terrible - The chicken was OK but the tostadas we extremely hard, tasteless - felt like I was eating paper mache
3. Gnocchi
The gnocchi was very tasty, but very small portion
4. Scallops
The scallops were above average, but salty
5. Mussels
Mussles were very good
6. Baby Bok Choy
Bok choy was worst I've ever tasted - we couldn't even finish it. First of all, the bok choy was HUGE - not baby. It was regular bok choy, and anyone who knows chinese greens, the larger they are, the bitter and less tasty.
7. Peach Raspberry Crumble
The crumble had a diameter of a snooker ball. And there was absolutely no crumble, just raspberries??

Won't be going back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
stevebeckta, Owner at Play Food & Wine, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear leeedw: I'm really sorry to hear that some of your dishes were not up to your expectations on your recent visit to Play. It really sounds like we had an off night at your table and I apologize that every dish was not as wonderful as the rest. I would love to make this up to you on another visit to Ottawa if you would be open to it, and show you the kind of experience that others have raved about on Tripadvisor. My email address is sbeckta@beckta.com and I really hope to be able to welcome you back again for a great meal in the future.

Many thanks,

Ottawa, Canada
“Pretentious and overpriced.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Portion sizes, even for the menu style, are needlessly small. Drinks are grossly overpriced and servers/sommelier are too often providing unsolicited "advice" on spirits clearly outside their area of expertise. The "atmosphere" basically amounts to a few coloured fabric sheets tossed-up here and there and uncomfortable chairs around tables spaced too closely together. . . as if a long-abandoned commercial space was being hastily decorated for some sort of single night event. Some dorms and cafeterias I've visited provided more atmosphere. Cheese choices on the menu are unimaginative and seem to be all from the same small piece of geography. Menu in general is big on puff and short on what comes to the table. The single positive feature of the experience would be that, aside from attempts to interject 'advice,' the staff were friendly. I was told this establishment is connected-to or is owned-by whoever owns "Beckta," another Ottawa restaurant. This surprises me to no end, as my experiences at "Beckta" have always been extremely positive. The style, approach, menu and layout of this restaurant represent everything that is wrong and ridiculous about certain such establishments in Ottawa. I will not be returning.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Dear Buchans79: I appreciate your visit to Play recently and for sharing your thoughts on your experience. I'm really sorry that it obviously was not for you. My hope is that we might be able to show you an experience that is more to your liking, but in reading your review many times, I think that the style of Play is just not for you. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed Beckta, our original restaurant, and hope that we might be able to welcome you back there in the future for a dinner more in line with your tastes. I would love to make the reservation personally so I can make sure everything is as great as you remember and by way of apologizing that your meal at Play wasn't more satisfying to you.

All the best,