“Excellent service,food and wine!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Play Food & Wine

Play Food & Wine
1 York Street, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (Byward Market Area)
613-667-9207
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 2,288 Restaurants in Ottawa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French, Tapas, Wine Bar
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
ottawa, ontario
“Excellent service,food and wine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

My husband and I have enjoyed many a lunch and dinner here. We have brought our childern who just love it. Our friends for special occasions and guests from out of town. We are NEVER disappointed, the people at Play are very good at what they do. The staff are the best! We have been there when it has been very busy and the staff remain pleasant and professional and everthing and everyone works so well. I have eaten items off the menu I didn't know I liked and then can't wait to go back and have it again before the menu changes. It really is a great experience every time. Great job everyone at Play!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Baltimore, Maryland
“GO FOR DINNER, NOT LUNCH”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

On the 'Byward Market' side of town, this is owned and managed by the same people that own/manage 'Beckta Dining & Wine'...but it's not as good. Play Food & Wine specializes in "small plates" preparations. The meals we had were very creative and very good but with a couple of caveats. Lunch here was disappointing...good but nothing to write about. Dinner, however, was very good - perhaps the chef(s) are better at the latter than at the former. Also, if you can, sit at the serving counter upstairs. You get to see the preparations, talk to the cooks/chef, and the service is better.. Reservations are important for dinner....not so for lunch.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great food,great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

The food was amazing. The service was very attentive and knowledgeable. Did a great job pairing wines with our selections. We sat at the kitchen bar and it was just great

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ottawa, Canada
“Memorable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We were there for a luch a few weeks ago. The staff were attentive, and the food experience was excellent

Visited September 2012
Toronto/Ottawa
“One of my fave restaurants of all time!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Play is a great restaurant, but you'll pay a hefty price for a meal there. The reason I keep going back, despite the fact that I think some of the portions are a little too small and the prices a bit steep, is because the food is just outstanding. Really. You always kind of wish there was more of it.

I've now been to Play 4 separate times and I've been really pleased on all 4 occasions. They know what they're doing in that kitchen,

They had a gravlax dish on the menu for a while that was out of this world. It was served with a smoked hardboiled egg salad that was heaven on a plate, and a small frisee lettuce salad tossed in truffle oil that simply took my breath away. The portion of gravlax varied from one visit to the next, which was a bit weird (once was generous, once was sparse), but otherwise it was superb.

I've also really enjoyed their salads, which often feature grilled squash/vegetables, etc. They're nice and light, but fair portions for a 'small plates' restaurant.

I don't eat meat, but everyone I go with has always had the steak or chicken options, and they've always raving about it!

And their wine list is superb. I always go for a sweet, white wine and I just love what the bartender suggests.

One thing I really have to say is that Play knows how to hire great people. The wait staff are, in my opinion, the very best in the city. They are ALWAYS nice, so professional and make you feel like they're your friends (which, of course, they aren't, but they make you feel that!!). I love how well the wait staff do their jobs. So courteous, but relaxed and you have full confidence in them. I never really thought having a good waiter could make such a difference to the experience of a restaurant meal, but it does.

I could go on and on about the food, but suffice it to say that it's the best around. As for my 4 out of 5 star rating..It's just a matter of price for me. I do find it a bit too pricey, but they'll still get my business because of the their quality. I'm not sure that incentivises them to revue the prices all that much, but oh well.

Well done, folks!