“Beware - unprofessional owner/operator and really bad experience” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sunnyside Bed and Breakfast

You added Sunnyside Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Sunnyside Bed and Breakfast
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   197 Hopewell Ave., Ottawa, Ontario K1S2Z4, Canada   |
Ranked #45 of 59 Ottawa B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Beware - unprofessional owner/operator and really bad experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

I booked two rooms for several nights: one for me and my two teenage daughters, and one for my cousin and her husband. When we arrived the owner swiped my credit card in advance for all the charges. The room for me and my two daughters was in the basement and smelled musty; it was cramped and hardly large enough for three people plus luggage. The bathroom had an extremely low ceiling; the mirror was on the floor; the shower head was so low that my 5'7" daughter had to crouch down to be in the spray; and by the time I got to the shower it had turned to a dribble and I had to use a glass to collect water to rinse off the soap. It was late at night and we did not want to disturb the owner to complain, but the next morning we politely said that the rooms were not suitable for our needs and we were going to go somewhere else.

I asked to be credited back for the nights we were not staying; I didn't even ask for my money back for the horrible experience in the bathroom. The owner insisted on keeping my money. After arguing back and forth I left the room in tears; my cousin continued to negotiate. The deal we agreed to was that the owner would credit back the nights we did not stay , and I would not write a review on Trip Advisor or anywhere else.

I am writing now because I just discovered (reviewing old Visa bills) that the owner reneged on the agreement and charged me $702.36. We only stayed one night, two rooms. I have witnesses and the bill to prove it all.

The owners were dishonest in describing the quality of the rooms over the phone; they were dishonest in charging us full price for a dysfunctional bathroom; and completely dishonest in charging us for the unused nights after telling us they would credit them back. Buyer beware. I have never had such a distasteful experience.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

Very comfortable. Downtown yet far enough South to avoid the cores craziness.

I really liked the layout and had the place to myself!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

Very basic basement room with stark furnishing -nice people but defintely overpriced for what is offered

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Ferrara, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

Quite neighbourhood, only few minutes bus from downtown. Fantastic breakfast with fresh baked scones and very nice and friendly hosts. What could we ask for more?

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Guelph, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

Don't stay here if you're concerned about odours, or mould. My wife and one of our friends who were vacationing with us had severe reactions to unhealthy elements in our quarters. The "Pacific Room", which is in the basement, was especially bad with damp odours and an unfinished bathroom. I asked for a refund twice and was refused twice. My advice to you is to steer clear of this B&B.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
jwright197, Lawyer for property at Sunnyside Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 1, 2010
This property is air conditioned and a relative humidity of 40% is maintained. The air quality is controlled by central air conditioning, electrostatic-hepa filter and humidifier in winter.

The lower level room "Pacific room" and the others have been thoroughly inspected for mold. A very strict cleaning regime is conducted daily to ensure the very best quality of environment.

There are no pets in the building. Smoking is not allowed on the property. The property is a certified scent free facility including the laundry.

A very strict cancellation policy is in force however as they are a very sought after property. Last minute cancellations are damaging to the financial viability of this fine property.

Unorganized guests who try to circumvent their responsibilities for payment do resort to this form of libelous behavior unfortunately.!
ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

My dad made an unexpected visit from overseas. My house was undergoing renovations at the time and I couldn't ask him to sleep on the floor! I was so lucky to find Sunnyside Bed and Breakfast. And then I was even more surprised to realize that I knew the owner. Our children had gone to the same school. That made me feel even more comfortable putting my father up there.
The B &B was surprisingly spacious and inviting . I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
East York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

I stayed at Sunnyside B&B in Ottawa on December 21st and 22nd, 2009. I can recommend this place without hesitation. I'm much obliged to Jim & Inge for my pleasant stay at Sunnyside. The food was great, the coffee was superb! Sunnyside is cosy, spotlessly clean, and hospitable because Jim & Inge keep it that way. If you have anything to do with Carleton University, you absolutely could not be in a better location. You can walk from Sunnyside to Carleton in 5 minutes.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo

Been to Sunnyside Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!