“Good Tour, but WAY TOO CROWDED” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Haunted Walk of Ottawa

Haunted Walk of Ottawa
46 1/2 Sparks Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5A8, Canada (Byward Market Area)
613-232-0344
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 121 Activities in Ottawa
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator
Aptos, California
10 attraction reviews
“Good Tour, but WAY TOO CROWDED”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Our family of four was staying at the hostel, so we decided to buy tickets for the "Haunted Tour" to learn about the ghost stories. We mistakenly purchased tickets for the "Crime and Punishment" tour, which does NOT include the ghost stories. By the time we discovered our mistake, we were 15 minutes into the tour and decided to just flow with it. We did get a fairly interesting tour of the different areas in the former jail, and our guide Elise was very nice. However, there were well over 30 people on our tour, and I think some of them were people who hadn't paid, as Elise counted the group several times and asked twice if there was anyone who hadn't given her their tickets. (Of course no one spoke up.) I think that she should have had a better system for collecting tickets and weeding out the non-paying visitors because having over 30 people in one group squeeze together through the narrow corridors, cells, and stairways was far too many for the tour to be enjoyable.

Visited August 2012

Ottawa
3 attraction reviews
“Very interesting stories”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I went on the ghost and gallows tour. I've been living in the ottawa area for 31 years and i had no idea the jail was even here! The stories were great and the tour guide was great. I was hoping for the price paid $21/person we would at least get to look in a cell (they were all too dark to see in) or walk into a cell. Also the group was so large that it kinda took away from the creepiness factor. We had 14 friends in our group plus about 20 other people. Also once you get to the jail the tour guild just leaves you there...I've been downtown ottawa like 2 times so i was totally lost and had no idea how to find my car.

Cons
- group to large
- pricey for what you get
- leaves you downtown

Pro's
- great stories/facts
-great tour guild

Visited October 2012
“Most frightening thing I've done in ages.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

We did the Ghosts and Gallows walk, and while I was expecting it to be entertaining, I was not expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. The tour of the gaol started off being creepy and ended up down right frightening. The building itself didn't fail to entertain, providing perfectly timed sounand if they were staged (and - sceptic that I am - I don't think they were) they were well done. Our guide was fantastic and wouldn't hesitate to take the tour again. Perhaps not for children though. I'm a pretty brave person and this scared the bejesus out of me.

Saint John, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Ghost and Gallows ... AWESOME!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I did this tour this past week with a large group of teens from across Canada. We had an excellent tour guide who was very narrative and had a way about how she told the stories. The tour guides really get into it when they tell the story, they dress very interestingly. Not a lot of walking , from start to the jail, it is acctually a very interesting walk itself as the walk takes you through old downtown Ottawa, especially along the canal. As for the Jail, it is indeed creepy with a lot of History (Now a hostel if you dare) !! Overall I and the others were all very impressed, it is safe and interesting, and gives you an interestiong outlook on the "results" of some of Canadas darker History. Im sure they do the tours in the day but we did ours at night when it was dark and it deffinitly gave it more of an effect!

Visited October 2012
Chicago, Illinois
7 attraction reviews
“Scary Stories!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

The walk starts in the streets of Ottawa with a gentleman holding a lantern. He did a great job of storytelling and took us around various streets and buildings. The Old Ottawa Jail was indeed very scary and you get to sit inside an extremely small cell for sometime (if you wish).

Visited November 2011