“Mind blowing experience” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Atelier is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 2,222 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cross street: Carling
Paris
“Mind blowing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

It was an absolutely incredible experience at Atelier. I had never really understood or could relate before when I heard people describe dining as truly 'interesting' or 'an experience for your taste buds', but this experience really was so interesting and delicious. It's exclusive - no signs outside about the restaurant andby RSVP only. The twelve-course menu is a surprise, so you don't know what you're getting next which adds to the experience (you can tell them about dislikes, allergies in advance). And when the food comes, they spend time explaining what it is and how it was cooked. Each bite, no matter how small, is packed with an explosion of flavour. We also did the wine pairing, which was an experience in of itself and would definitely recommend it! We got to sample (generous samples - about 1/2 glass each) everything from red, white, sake, champagne, ice wine. We were there for about 3 1/2 hours and had a great time. We felt very satisfied from the food - not overstuffed or hungry.The service was excellent. The servers were professional, but very personable as well. It is pricey, but if you're looking for a true fine dining experience that you'll remember for quite some time, it is definitely worth saving up for. And again, would definitely go with the wine pairing!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Easily the best restaurant in Ottawa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

This restaurant is in a class of its own in Ottawa, and the place to go for a special occasion. It's the only place in Ottawa that serves nothing but a tasting menu and there is a strong molecuar influence going on here.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
ONTARIO
“Tasting experience for Your Tastebuds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

14 courses of pure pleasure. Each course is a small sampling of a variety of different foods and tastes-presented individually on the plate. Close your eyes and taste each fare separately! You won't be disappointed. This Food is an experience to just look at before you consume it. Servers are very well informed about the food. How it's prepared, temperatures, names etc. We did the wine pairing with our meal and were not disappointed. This meal was nothing like we have ever had at any other restaurant. The ambience is all right, but nothing really special. But then again it does not take away or compete with the food. It is pricey so be prepared. Some may feel because of the quantity you are not getting your money worth. You have to go with the mind that you and your taste buds are about to share a adventure in taste, texture and visual. Great place for a special "date".

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ottawa, Canada
“I didn't want to be disappointed but ...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This was one of the early breakout restuarants that really aimed for something innovative in Ottawa and I had been there and had had favourable memories. I actually encourgaged a couple of people I eat with often to come there with me anticipating a great experience. Somethings, like the carrot soup(just the soupt), the lobster salad, the two increibly succulent bites of lamb, and the pumpkin pie fillingish piece of one of the desserts were truly exceptional and I can still taste them and will be thinking of them for months to come.

That siad, I can't really rave about the whole expereince much as I would like to. We were not drinking __ this may account for my altered perceptions from the last three times I was there. We also had a server who took a dislike to us that we could not cajole him out of. He seemed to resent the questions we were asking -- even though the array of food on each plate really does demand questions -- and after I asked about the leathery quality of one of the pieces of fish it just went completely downhill and we never really got him back in a good mood. When you're getting through 12 courses (and youre paying $125 per person) I don't really think you should have to cajole the waiter. So the absence of wine and the service may have coloured my perception of the food.
12 courses is a lot. Each course has 6 or more elements. They are all intriguing but you loose track very quickly and half way through I could tell that we were all just hoping it was coming to an end soon. Indivudal tastes on some fo the plates weere extraordinary. A focus on those without all the bits and pieces would, I think, provide a more memorable experience in the long run.
If you have never tried it it is still worth the expereince and we were, desptie everything, still glad we went. I do't think they will go back and I would probably take friends to other places in the future. .

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

My wife and i enjoyed a great meal at atelier. 12 course tasting menu (plus snacks and a couple extra desserts!). Cost: 110 pp and 60 for a 10 course wine flight paired with the food. Molecular gastronomy on display here. Dishes are inventive and show a lot of technique and talent beyond what is possible in most home kitchens. Appletini dessert was probably the best dessert i have ever had. Wine pairings were spot on. Highly recommend this place for a special occasion. expect to need a month in advance for booking.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere