“Excellent customer service!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Ottawa, Canada
“Excellent customer service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel the night prior to an early flight out of YOW, and found it to be a very good airport hotel. The rooms are of a good size and very clean, with a comfortable bed. We heard no noise from other rooms or from the hallway, and we both had a very good night's sleep.

What really made this hotel stand out to us was the excellent customer service from the gentleman who checked us in. He noted that we would be taking the shuttle before the free breakfast would be served, and offered to make up a "care package" to sustain us until we were able to have a full meal. He delivered a lovely package with muffins, fruit, yogurt, etc. and it simply impressed me that he was willing to go that extra mile, and distinguish this hotel from others in the area. He was also very cheerful and professional, and really made this stay memorable for us.

I highly recommend the hotel, and will stay there again when flying out of Ottawa.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Stayed here in July. I needed a hotel in Ottawa for a night to bring my daughter for an orientation at the University. Used Priority Plus points> Way less points needed at this location because it's not in the heart of the city but it was still a good stay. I think it's a new hotel.Everything looked pretty clean and well maintained. Not much in the area but it served my purpose well. The rooms were large and beds comfy.
The drive into Byward was about 10 minutes. Front desk clerks, both men, were very friendly on arrival and very helpful when providing me directions to get in and out of downtown ( ie. helped me avoid traffic where there were road closures and tricky signs to watch for).
Breakfast was included- pretty standard buffet but well stocked and tidy. Complimentary tea and coffee 24 hrs a day.
Parking was free. The pool looked smallish but clean and there was an outdoor patio area off of it which would've been nice to have had a lounge chair or two since it was in the sun and off the pool area.
All in all a decent hotel

Room Tip: Not really much to see from any of the room I would imagine. Our room faced the back of the building...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
St Charles, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Needed a room for 1 night to take care of some business in Ottawa at the airport, called for a room and was informed they were booked, explained that I was Priority Club member and I had another number to call to book a room, Mike at Front Desk stated he hated members like myself who could call and knock people out of their reservations (I've been a member since 1996, and with my stays I have earned those priviledges over the years), he told me to go stay at Days Inn or Hilton. I explained to him, that I was offended considering I called a Holiday Inn. Rudeness at its highest level!

That night stayed in Brockville, Ontario (Holiday Inn) (about 50 miles away) much better service and staff and returned to Ottawa the next day. When I returned to Ottawa to fly out, I followed Mike's suggestion and stayed at the Hilton Garden Airport (definitely more friendly staff and service) and much better shuttle hours (4am-midnight daily) and with my AAA, my cost was less even compared to my company corporate discount. Any time I am in Ottawa for business I will continue to stay at the Hilton Garden.

I reported Mike to the hotel manager but I will also be writing to Holiday Inn corporate, definitely customer service at its worst!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ottawa Airport, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear MsMayvee,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience with our hotel. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

This was my third time staying at the Holiday Inn Express Ottawa Airport. As usual the room was clean, and the bathroom was fine. I did find the air conditioner to be a bit noisy and it kept me awake for a while. I like the breakfast in the mornings and there is an OK selection of food.
My only real compliant was that when I arrived to check in and when I was leaving the next morning I had to wait for a front desk for several minutes for a clerk to 'appear' both times there was no one at the desk to greet me. If I was in a rush I would have been in trouble.
I do find the parking lot gets VERY full late in the day and sometime finding a space in the evening is difficult.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed here during a brief visit to Ottawa. The hotel was great- the staff were very chatty and genuinely interested in having a conversation/helping out. The rooms were big and spacious and the breakfast very good too. Would stay again for sure.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights with my family - had adjacent rooms. Easy parking, clean room, friendly staff, great breakfast (free), quiet.

Would recommend for airport stopovers and as a point from which to do excursions.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
North Bay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We recently stayed here on a weekend. Newer hotel and the location was ideal for us (attending a canoe regatta nearby).

The Positives:
-clean, new building
-fridge & microwave in room
-free WiFi
-free breakfast

The Negatives:
-no express checkout
-2 elevators, but only 1 working during our stay (slow)
-A/C unit cycles on & off (noisy)
-breakfast only starts at 7am (would have liked to see it start at 6 or 6:30)

I hope the hotel remedies some of the negatives, as most are easy fixes and they would enhance guests' stays as this is a nice hotel otherwise.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ottawa Airport? Share your experiences!