“Hilarious... but not in a good way.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Harpo's Restaurant

Harpo's Restaurant
44 Stevenson Rd S, Oshawa, Ontario L1J 5L9, Canada (Vanier)
(905) 436-2977
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Vanier
Oshawa
“Hilarious... but not in a good way.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

So the garish sign out front advertizing the 'pre fix' menu (yup, that's how the spelled it, no one speaks french at Harpos I guess) should have given it away, but we were going with a group, so we went in. Twenty years ago this might have been a nice place, however it hasn't aged well, and it's pretty dirty and run down inside with various wires hanging loose from the ceiling and paint scraped away from most surfaces and a general sense of grime just from everything being so antiquated.
As for the food, I had the salmon, and my wife had the vegetarian meal. The salmon wasn't the freshest and was on the small side of average, and the vegetables consisted of a couple potatoes and some of the largest carrots cut into quarters I've ever seen (I thought they were sweet potatoes until I ate them), but the salmon at least was barely adequate if not very good.
The vegetarian meal, on the other hand, was probably the worst we've ever seen. It consisted of some spaghetti noodles with a tomato sauce with about half of a pound of feta (at least we hope it was feta) on top that had started turning yellow on one side. On top of this was eight sticks of what had at some point been asparagus, however it was so overcooked that it wasn't able to be picked up with a fork any longer and just disintegrated. It was fashionably garnished with pomegranate and dill.. as was every dish... cause who doesn't like pomegranate and dill mixed together? I wish we had had a camera with us, because we both though it looked like someone had strangled a green octopus to death, left in the sun for a week and then served it. And best of all, it also cost 30.00 as did the salmon as part of the 'pre fix' meal.
My wife valiantly tried the meal, but it was so bland and overcooked that she left it. The waitress (who in fairness did a decent job) came and removed it, and when she came back told us that she had told the chef. However, telling the chef is apparently meaningless at this restaurant since no new meal appeared, and we were presented with a bill for the full amount at the end of the meal.
Dessert was the highlight (but you can't really mess up store-bought ice cream with jam on top.)
So... was the meal worth the nearly 80.00 we were charged with only their terribly bad coffee to drink? Nope... not even close. I can say with confidence that I'd rather eat just about anywhere else.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Whitby, Canada
“birthday celebration”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Our family went to Harpos to celebrate our son's birthday. Waited over one hour for our salad and thought we were never getting our main course. We were seated in the Solarium Room. It was so cold; some of the other patrons were wearing their winter jackets. There was a party at another table who were extremely noisy. It was like eating in a pub on a Saturday night but much more expensive. The food was good but it certainly was not a "Fine Dining Experience".

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bowmanville, Canada
“nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Usually not overly busy, wait staff are attentive. Had steak which was prepared to order and sides were good. nice selection on the desert menu.

Visited May 2012
toronto, ontario
“First and last time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This was our first experience at Harpo's. We were a party of 10. We had a reservation and we advised when making the reservation that we did have a show to attend after so they were aware we would not be spending a leisurely evening in the restaurant. The restaurant was VERY busy. They had to open the banquet portion of the restaurant to seat everyone which was very cold. Started off with a very dirty side plate. No biggy, got a new one. Started with drink orders which was fine. Ordered appetizers and main entrees. These took awhile but again, no biggy. Ceasar salads were a disappointment. I had mussels which were tasty.

Our show started at 8. We arrived at the restaurant at 6. One would think that was plenty of time. Half the table's dinner arrived 80 minutes later! The other half never arrived. 4 of our party left without ever receiving their dinner as we had all paid good money for the show and were not about to miss it. I ordered steak diane, $37.00, arrived cold. Had to literally gulp it down in order to get out of there.

Alcohol was another story. Had to do something I have never done before. Sent back a glass of wine that had CLEARLY been watered down. It was a wine I drink often so I was fully aware of how it should taste. You could see it as soon as the waitress poured it into the glass. The men were drinking Coors light. After they had each had one they ran out!

AT NO TIME DID A MANAGER EVER COME TO OUR TABLE! It was the worst dining experience of my life and one of the priciest. I will never return.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Oshawa, Canada
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

I have lived in the area for over a decade and driven past, but never have given it a try. New sign got us in the door but it became a pretty average experience. We went on a weeknight in late November and apart from a large function in the front of the place (workplace holiday party) we had the place to ourselves. Meal was average and nothing special. Next time we will drive past and go to the Keg!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere