“Dirty, Poor Service and DEFINITELY not the best wings anywhere.” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Toronto, Ontario
“Dirty, Poor Service and DEFINITELY not the best wings anywhere.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Some places never change. Every time a friend suggests Monaghans I either cringe and grudgingly accept or make a desperate attempt to suggest another location. I wouldn't even suggest this place for beers alone due to the lousy management and poor service. You cant slam the place for catering to Sheridan College students and sports fans - but it's no excuse to have such a poorly run, dirty business.

Atmosphere:

The place is huge, almost unnecessarily big. The lighting is awkward and just generally unclean. The menus seriously need to be tossed for new, cleaner ones. Bathrooms were actually not nearly as bad as I expected. Didn't get to experience the patio since it's winter now. A bright spot would be the ample number of big screen TV's for watching any sports.

Food & Drink:

Wings are definitely not the best in town - I've certainly had better in Oakville. They are akin to wings you would buy from the hot food counter at any grocery store. They were pretty inconsistent. Some medium wings were drenched in sauce and others barely got coated. The flavors weren't bad (Medium, Hot & Honey garlic) and at least they arrived quickly and hot. The beer was borderline cold and glasses weren't exactly spotlessly clean. The prices are actually fair, but I'm tempted to suggest paying slightly less and getting better fast food elsewhere.

Service:

The service is painfully slow. Our server would pop by and ask us how our drinks were doing a couple times within the same 5-minute window, despite us still pouring out our pitchers and then not come by again for another 20 minutes or so. Lets face it - most of them aren't experts in the service industry and just there for eye candy in an effort which management hopes will push more sales. And the management is certainly where the problems are stemming from. The younger manager in particular is a piece of work. I can understand constantly dealing with drunken, trouble-making college students and underagers trying to get a drink is not a fun job. It's no reason to hassle people who look obviously older than he is for two pieces of ID when the place isn't even remotely busy. If his idea of keeping customers is to frustrate them at the door, he's doing a fine job. Apparently a drivers license plus a wallet full of credit cards, debit cards and student ID's all bearing the same name isn't enough to appease his overly inflated ego. You dish out burgers and beer - meaning you shouldn't WARN customers to fix the cards in their wallet before even stepping in the door. Sorry for having a red & white health card - next time I come I'll be sure to bring my enhanced passport. I guess this is where Sheridan graduates end up.

The Final Note:

The place doesn't give a damn and it's blatantly obvious. Nothing would make me happier to show up one day and see the place closed in favor of a cleaner, better managed pub. Being "a student spot" or "a sports pub" are no excuses for any of their downfalls.

Too long; didnt read: Don't go.

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Ontario
“Dirty and Grimy”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Definitely a hang out for college students - smells of old beer and furniture is very dated. Definitely needs a facelift if they want to attract a different crowd.

Oakville, Canada
“My Choice in Oakville for Wings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Hey, its a sports bar. Rough walls and furniture, long past an upgrade. Often noisy, several pool tables and comfy booths and tables. There are the usual big screen TVs about with various sports programmes on. I go for that atmosphere, but mainly for the wings. I think they are as good as you can get. The beer is cold and there are lots of choices. The chips are very good and they seem to change their oil often because I have never had that "old oil" taste. The staff are friendly, helpful and efficient. I'll see you there some time for wings and a game of snooker.

Visited May 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Best Chicken Wings in Canada”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

I have been across our great country dining out and i spent 3 days in Oakville Ontario and found the best chicken wings. They have the traditional Mild, Medium and Hot wings. They have a some great extra (good flavours) like Franks Baked, Lemon Pepper (My Favs - i always get a half order of these), Honey Garlic, and Hickory. The only flavour my friends and i have not tried are the HELLFIRE wings. I have now heard if you finish an order of hellfire they give you a free t-shirt. i will try this for sure on my next visit.

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oakville, Canada
“Excellent Local Pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

We come here regularly for the last 15 years. Coming here for special events like the Superbowl are very special and memorable. We like the chicken wings very much. I have recommended this place to many of my friends over the years. I personally also like the club sandwich. For great and big wings, we highly recommend.

• Visited September 2011