“Cute Bed and Breakfast” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Oakville Inn Hotel

The Oakville Inn Hotel
You added The Oakville Inn Hotel to your Saves list
The Oakville Inn Hotel
2.5 of 5 Inn   |   162 Lakeshore Road East | (corner of Lakeshore Road East and Thomas Street), Oakville, Ontario L6J 1H4, Canada   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Oakville B&B and Inns
ontario
“Cute Bed and Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2008

what a cute place. My husband and I have lived in Oakville for over 21 years and never noticed this spot. After our daughters stayed there, they recommended the place. So we took the oppourtunity we went out for dinner then staye one night-it was lovely. I recommend it.

• Liked — the location
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Solo
Belleville, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2008

I've been a regular customer of the Oakville Inn for many years, but have to say that there has been a definite decline in this property based on my most recent stay which I detail below.

I arrived on a Sunday night at about 21:45 and was looking forward to a restful night's sleep after a long five hour drive from Michigan. Unfortunately, I was to be very disappointed.

The reception lady seemed confusing and troubled by something as I checked in but I didn't think more about it until.... As I was dead tired, I retired to my room and turned in. Just as I was settling in for the night (lights out and trying to fall asleep), the phone rang! It was the reception lady questioning me about the booking and the prices quoted to me. She explained that the lower rates that I was quoted were based on the assumption of two rooms being taken, not one and that I should be charged the higher "suite" rate. I was in shock that this matter couldn't have been dealt with in the morning. I told her that I was being disturbed, hoping to prevail upon her good sense to deal with this situation in the morning, when instead she said, to my astonishment, "I'm not disturbing you." Ending this preposterous conversation, I replied that, "I'm the judge of when I'm being disturbed. Good night." I regret having been rude to her, but I have to say that this was the absolute worst hotel experience I've ever had. In my travels, I've had the opportunity to stay at dozens of hotels, including many stays at the Oakville Inn Hotel over the years.

Those past stays at the Oakville Inn Hotel were generally pleasant and I've had no reason not to recommend the hotel to friends and colleagues traveling to the area. In fact, many of them have stayed there on my past advice. Based on the current state of the hotel and the poor customer care, I will definitely NOT advise anyone to stay there. There are simply too many excellent hotels in the area to bother rolling the dice with the Oakville Inn again.

During my last two stays, I've noticed that the general condition of the hotel has deteriorated. Here
are some examples.

"Suite #2"
- Some kind of spatter on the window shades (maybe paint)
- Black substance (mold) around the bathtub water spout
- Bath towels with tattered edges
- And during my previous stay about a month ago?..
- Refrigerator turned off (I actually wanted to use it!)
- Lack of coat hangers in the closet; had to ask for them, as there were none
- A generally dingy appearance to the rooms
- Breakfast served too late for business travelers who must start work early and a meager breakfast at that! The neon street sign that speaks of "Delicious Food" is a gross exaggeration!

If the Oakville Inn Hotel expects to receive "suite" rates, these basic issues must be addressed. The windows are old and do not block any street noise from Lakeshore Road, making it virtually impossible to relax or have a comfortable night's sleep. The reception staff desperately needs to revisit hospitality training. I cannot over-emphasize the disruption the above-mentioned late night phone call had on me. I was angry and upset by such an intrusion. Customers deserve better treatment if they ever want to see them again. We have choices in where to stay, so I checked out the following morning and moved to another local hotel for the balance of my business trip. I moved to the Holiday Inn on Argus road.

As recently as 2005 and earlier, I would've echoed the positive review from the Australian folks also listed here. Since then, the Oakville Inn has suffered a distinct lack of maintenance that has coincided with a change in management. The current management does not know how to run such a hotel. It's a real shame since I'd enjoyed staying there in the past, but I won't stay there again.

Sincerely Disappointed,
Frank Bogensic
Belleville, Michigan

• Liked — The only good thing about this property is its location is the walking distance to downtown Oakville.
  • Disliked — Older hotel, needs maintenance attention and staff hospitality training is lacking.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Burlington, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2007

Just an aweful Hotel, do not stay here, no parking old and run down. There are so many other options in this area we are so disapointed we did not choose another hotel.

• Liked — NA
  • Disliked — Dirty, Old and no parking
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Logan City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2007

Husband and I stayed for 40th anniversary and to see some old friends. Checked in on Thursday and checked out on Monday. The lady who worked in the office was so sweet and hospitable. My husband and I loved the idea of pancakes on Saturday. The great thing was that we could walk to the lakeside. Oakville is a lovely city, and this place just adds to its charm.

I will definitely come back

Margaret Roy
Logan City, Australia

Stayed February 2007
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2005

We stayed last night at the Oakvill Inn Hotel in a queensize bed room and what a room. Given the price (over $100), the room was in terrible state. Staiend and damaged bathroom sink, an old carpet, no doors on the wardrobe, dirty and old stove and a terrible old matress on what seemed to be a homemade particleboard bed frame (missing the trim). The AC unit was old and noisy (and if the window is left open, one gets all the great noises of the street cleaning, garbage collection engines as early as 6:00 AM. The windows were covered with a very light cotton see thru drapes - so the sun is in very early. The so called continental breakfast is served in the hallway (more like an early bird coffee service in other hotels, a couple of muffins and oranges.)
As for the service it is very unprofessional - no reservation on record (although we had our voucher), argued about the price on the internet voucher (too low for the night receptionist).
A really bad experience - good thing we were not staying more than a single night.

• Stayed August 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2005

The Oakville Inn is possibly the most central accommodation in Oakville. It is at the heart of downtown and you only have to fall out of bed to find some fantastic shops and restaurants. Only minus point - if you cannot deal with stairs, it is located on a first floor above shops.
Our room was clean. It had a small seating area with table (where you can set up your breakfast in the morning), full bathroom with hairdryer and a small kitchenette with kettle, fridge, sink, somewhere to cook food should you wish to and most of the small essentials you would need to cook as well as wash up.
Breakfast is continental style and is set up in the corridor leading to all the bedrooms in the hotel - muffins (good), croissants (not great), fresh fruits, tea/coffee/hot chocolate and a free paper. There is no breakfast room so all visitors take their breakfast back to their room.
Reception staff are friendly.
Car parking is either on the streets or in the many parking lots in the city. There are many nearby - however expect to pay for parking between the hours of 9am and 6pm. Reception staff will pay for your parking if you let them know where your car is. This will then be added to your bill.
Overall, great location, good deal but not luxurious.

• Stayed April 2005

Been to The Oakville Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!