“Beautiful view, food better than most in North Bay” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 142 Restaurants in North Bay
Cuisines: Diner, Contemporary, Canadian, Family Fare
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Toronto, Canada
“Beautiful view, food better than most in North Bay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Probably my overall favourite place in North Bay. For one thing, it has an actual view of something you'd want to look at, unlike most place in the city, which look out at depressing views of the bleak north bay cityscape. The big windows at Average Joe's look out onto Trout Lake, so you don't see any of the city itself. The decor is understated and relaxed, with a nice fireplace in the middle of the main room, a patio that's nice to sit on in the summer, and candles at night. The food is a cut above most of the dining options in NOrth Bay, where sophisticated menus are hard to find and the city is dominated by greasy spoons and mediocre chain restaurants with their assembly-line food (East Side Mario's, Kelsey's, Boston Pizza etc.) It offers the usual burgers, fish and chips, but more sophisticated things as well, like main-course salads, pastas, salmon, etc..I wish they would change up the way they cook their veggies from time to time (the accompanying veggies always seem to be heavy on broccoli and carrots, steamed but almost a little too crisp still...there are other interesting ways of preparing veggies...
They could improve the service...SOmetimes the service can be a bit slow, once they take your order and bring your food..I've had waitresses/waiters often disappear into the next room for what seems to be a long time and more than once Ive had to get up and go and find someone to get us dessert or more coffee...It also seems to happen often that one person takes your order and then someone else brings the food and yet another person might top up your water or take your plate away..which can make it difficult to feel as if you're being served and cared for by one specific server..I never know who exactly is going to get the tip...I also wish they would update their dessert menu with more sophisticated offerings...most of the desserts are on the very sweet, sugary, gooey side rather than something sophisticated and light like a fruit tart or tarte tatin..the dessert choices always seem to be the same staples of apple pie, carrot cake, etc..often with extra sauce or caramel drizzled on top of what's an already sweet dessert...I for one don't need caramel sauce on top of apple pie and ice cream..I'd rather they keep it simple and understated! I no longer even consider getting dessert there because the options are so familiar...
But overall I still much prefer going here over just about anyplace else in North Bay, for all the reasons I mentioned...

Visited December 2012

Toronto, Canada
“Wonderful food, staff and view !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Great food. Crab cakes, homemade soup, Grand Marnier chicken. Wonderful views of Trout Lake. This is easy to find at east end of North Bay. Parking on south side of road. Staff were very good and attentive. Relaxed feeling but top quality service and food.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Barrie, Canada
“Will exceed your expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This unassuming roadside restruant was a pleasant surprise. There menu is varied and the food, presentation, and atmosphere is warm and inviting. The view over Trout Lake and outdoor seating is wonderful. Parking is about the only downside to this place.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
North Bay, Ontario
“Average Joe's”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

The restaurant is too small. Feels claustraphobic. The food was okay but not priced to my liking. Good food though.

Visited October 2011
“Not great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I'm a frequent traveller and I enjoy eating in restaurants. Last night my wife and I tried Average Joe's in North Bay. We were warmly welcomed at the door and our table had a lovely view of the lake. The bruschetta "starter" was a generous portion and very tasty, particularly with the Feta cheese option added. The Beringer Pino Grigio was also very good. But that's where it ended.

My pickerel was completely devoid of flavour. I mean COMPLETELY. No flavour at all. I never add salt to a dish, EVER, but last night I added liberal amounts of salt and pepper, and I doused my pickerel in as much juice as I could squeeze from the lemon wedge. And that made the pickerel "acceptable", but not great. Not even "good".

The vegetables on my plate also had ZERO FLAVOUR. In fact, I remarked to my wife, "How do they do this?". I mean, how can you completely remove the flavour from broccoli, string beans and carrots. Quite remarkable. Same for the pickerel, as mentioned above. No discernible flavour. Quite a feat.

The service was pleasant but we won't be going back. It was one of the worst meals of my life.

• Visited August 2012