“A nice place...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 26 Hotels in North Bay
Montreal, Canada
“A nice place...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

The reception is exemplary. Upon our arrival, we offered us a suite to the same price as the economic room. The room is clean(appropriate), spacious with a cosy and comfortable bed. There is a kitchen area with all the ustensis and the basis dishes. An only drawback, there should be two chairs and a table to have no bent back. In brief, I recommend this etablishment.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Markham, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

After having been disappointed with our hotels on previous visits to North Bay, we decided to give Lakeshore Suites a try.
Knowing we were visiting North Bay on the August long weekend (during Summer in the Park festival) I booked our suite almost 4 months in advance and had no problem getting a room. Having read other traveler reviews, I was impressed with the value this hotel seemed to offer for the price.
I have to say I almost didn't believe the rate I got online ($99/night) considering it was the August long weekend and that generally suite style hotels are somewhat more expensive. The price also made me a bit wary, almost too good to be true.
We arrived early on the day of our check in (2 hours before official check in) but had no problem getting into our room early. The front desk manager (who I believe is the owner) was very personable and friendly.
No modern key card FOB's at this hotel, you actually get an old fashioned key!!
My initial impression upon entering the room was how big and clean the suite was. Nice size living room type space, full kitchen (minus a stove obviously), 1 bedroom and decent size bathroom. A queen Murphy bed was great to have as this would be my daughters bed. Additional amenities included a fairly decent size LCD TV along with free WiFi.
We love staying at Suite style hotels when we travel with our daughter as it gives us some extra space once she's in bed and having a kitchen to use allows you to bring your own food to use for breakfast etcetera.
In terms of décor, this hotel could use some serious updating.... I almost felt I was in a time warp back to 1988, and the furniture itself needs to be updated as well. The rug although clean, certainly needed replacing as well. The Queen bed wasn't great, extremely hard mattress definitely didn't do my back any good. There was also a gas fireplace in the corner of the suite which we obviously didn't use (summer trip).
Keeping with the rest of the suite, the bathroom as well was a time warp back to my childhood, but was good size and very clean.
Temperature control was a bit difficult as the AC unit was one of those old school window installed type units meaning it was either on or off (no specific temperature setting). Thankfully it wasn't crazy hot so we actually had the AC off most of the time.
The hotel is in a great location, right across the street from Lake Nipissing which was one of the key reasons we selected this hotel (easy access to a gorgeous lake). Lots of amenities nearby including restaurants, shopping etcetera.
Overall I'm happy with our stay at Lakeshore Suites; great value for the money, clean rooms, friendly and courteous staff, excellent location and some decent perks (free Wifi). I'll be interested to see if any money is spent by the owners to upgrade the hotel in the near future. I would recommend this hotel to any families looking for a great value hotel in North Bay.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thorold, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Well we stayed there for one night July 25 2014 as we were town for a wedding.. The room was spotless and it was like having your own little apartment and was well maintained..When we needed something the staff was right there to help... Stores and everything you need is close even the beach....Your ever in North Bay check this place out and the price is great as well...

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Sudbury, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

Spent a night in one of the honeymoon suites with my wife just for a night out. Room was clean and very nice. Jacuzzi tub was great and the double headed shower was awesome. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Sudbury, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Stayed in the Chalet at the Lakeshore Suites Plus for 2 nights. Checked in at the Lakeshore Suites where the reception was and drove to our room at a the separate motel (Lakeshore Suites Plus) just a short drive away...a bit odd but no big deal Asked for extra towels which were graciously given upon arrival. Was pleased with the accommodations except for the king size bed which had a hard, older spring mattress which was not very comfortable. Very roomy and bright. The place is not pristine, there are a few cracks in the ceiling and some paint missing from the walls in a few places, but honestly this did not detract from our stay. Loved the privacy of this room as it is separate from the main building. Heated by 2 gas fireplaces which added a cozy ambiance to the room. Double Jacuzzi tub in the bedroom was great, large enough for 2 people comfortably. Nice bathroom with walk in shower. Had hoped for higher end bathroom amenities as one might expect with a $200/night room. Kitchenette was nice and very handy with a mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker, however the coffee provided was awful. Bought Tim Horton's and heated it up in the morning. Upon checking the smoke detector I found that it had no battery in it. Make what you will of that.
Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Chalet at the Lakeshore Suites Plus even though it was a bit pricey at $189.99 + taxes per night. A nice winter getaway.

Room Tip: Chalet at Lakeshore Suites Plus offers fantastic privacy away from other guests.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Booked this on-line at the best price in town (2013-12-30) at their "Lakeshore Suites Plus" location just up the road from the main operation. Had to check-in at the main building and was given a room in this building instead with a small upgrade from the regular room.
Room was quite pleasant and well equipped with kitchenette, toaster, micro, dishware, etc.
Also had a beast of a gas heater that banished the deep chill of -30 that night even set to "Low".
The bed was quite comfy, the bathroom was standard with amenities, etc., the shower/tub has lots of little spots to put shampoo, razor, etc. while washing up. Towels for 2 and lots of hot water, but could use a new shower head however.
Very adequate tables & closets to put stuff out of the way.
The included WiFi was incredibly good. Maybe because the antenna unit was right behind the 32" flat TV? (not sure if every room is like this)
Took a bit of poking to figure out the 2 remotes, (one for the set, one for the cable box) but lots of channels and a bonus of Toronto radio stations.
Although a "no free breakfast" sort of place, there are many food options just up the road.
The desk clerk (probably the owner/manger) was super nice who seems to live on-site.
Over-all, when not travelling with our dog, this place will always be included when searching North Bay hotels in the future.
Highly recommended. :-)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Burlington, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I want to start by saying this is a very deceiving place...for the better! My boyfriend and I were coming up to North Bay from Burlington from sat afternoon (oct 5) until sun morning (oct 6)and had never been to North Bay before. We looked online for hotels then ended up booking a room at Lakeshore Suites (not to be confused with Lakeshore Suites PLUS which is a bit up the street) through Priceline.ca for $87 USD per night ($89 plus tax CAD) When we arrived the place was easy to find and when we pulled up to park we saw it was a motel. That was fine with us, we were only staying one night and pretty much expected just a standard motel room. The man and woman at the front desk were very nice and polite! The man was getting a room ready for another family as we were checking in. The front desk area was very clean and the door was open so you could see they were doing laundry which is always a great sign! I gave her my paper I had printed for my reservation and there were no hassles, no id required and I could also pay for the room with my bank card instead of the credit card I had booked the room with which was great! It was only a couple minutes after 2 pm which is check in and she gave us the key for the room which was ready for us. As we opened the door we were pleasantly surprised! It led into a small living room with couch, tv with cable box, sink, mini fridge and cupboards with cups plates and cutlery...plus a mini coffee maker and coffee. Everything was clean! Then there was a door to the bathroom, the shower was nice and clean, clean towels, sink, hairdryer and a door through the bathroom to the bedroom so everything is a circular walk through. Bed was clean, and comfy!!! There were cute french doors separating the bedroom from the living room section. I had never seen a motel set up this way and I liked it! It was nicer than some hotels I've stayed at! When we came back around 8 pm to get settled for the night we were close to lots of places to get food so we went to the Tim Hortons only 4 min driving up the road. The motel was quiet and had a trampoline on the property which I gladly used:) Though I am 31 I still love trampolines haha though it was a bit too cold to be out there a long time. Like I mentioned the bed was very comfy!!! The room was also the perfect temperature for the rainy cold night. There were also chairs and cute little pottery ashtrays outside the door so you didn't want to smoke inside. They had little soaps and shampoo in the bathroom, shower was hot...only negative which was very minuscule was the shower head needed to be replaced, or just soaked in some CLR. Next morning checkout was at 11 am. While checking out a lady asked if she could stay an extra hour and the woman at the front desk told her that was fine with no hassles. I also asked the woman where we could get breakfast and she recommended Terry's Diner just up at the next set of traffic lights which was just what we wanted! I have not been to any other hotels, motels or Inns in North Bay though most of them are on Lakeshore Road but I would DEFINITELY recommend this motel and would DEFINITELY stay here again! The pictures on this review are for the Lakeshore Suites Plus so I posted the ones I took here!
Melissa

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lakeshore Suites? Share your experiences!