“What a charming motel!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Lakeshore Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   710 Lakeshore Dr., North Bay, Ontario P1A 2G4, Canada   |
Ranked #8 of 26 hotels in North Bay
Burlington, Ontario
“What a charming motel!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I want to start by saying this is a very deceiving place...for the better! My boyfriend and I were coming up to North Bay from Burlington from sat afternoon (oct 5) until sun morning (oct 6)and had never been to North Bay before. We looked online for hotels then ended up booking a room at Lakeshore Suites (not to be confused with Lakeshore Suites PLUS which is a bit up the street) through Priceline.ca for $87 USD per night ($89 plus tax CAD) When we arrived the place was easy to find and when we pulled up to park we saw it was a motel. That was fine with us, we were only staying one night and pretty much expected just a standard motel room. The man and woman at the front desk were very nice and polite! The man was getting a room ready for another family as we were checking in. The front desk area was very clean and the door was open so you could see they were doing laundry which is always a great sign! I gave her my paper I had printed for my reservation and there were no hassles, no id required and I could also pay for the room with my bank card instead of the credit card I had booked the room with which was great! It was only a couple minutes after 2 pm which is check in and she gave us the key for the room which was ready for us. As we opened the door we were pleasantly surprised! It led into a small living room with couch, tv with cable box, sink, mini fridge and cupboards with cups plates and cutlery...plus a mini coffee maker and coffee. Everything was clean! Then there was a door to the bathroom, the shower was nice and clean, clean towels, sink, hairdryer and a door through the bathroom to the bedroom so everything is a circular walk through. Bed was clean, and comfy!!! There were cute french doors separating the bedroom from the living room section. I had never seen a motel set up this way and I liked it! It was nicer than some hotels I've stayed at! When we came back around 8 pm to get settled for the night we were close to lots of places to get food so we went to the Tim Hortons only 4 min driving up the road. The motel was quiet and had a trampoline on the property which I gladly used:) Though I am 31 I still love trampolines haha though it was a bit too cold to be out there a long time. Like I mentioned the bed was very comfy!!! The room was also the perfect temperature for the rainy cold night. There were also chairs and cute little pottery ashtrays outside the door so you didn't want to smoke inside. They had little soaps and shampoo in the bathroom, shower was hot...only negative which was very minuscule was the shower head needed to be replaced, or just soaked in some CLR. Next morning checkout was at 11 am. While checking out a lady asked if she could stay an extra hour and the woman at the front desk told her that was fine with no hassles. I also asked the woman where we could get breakfast and she recommended Terry's Diner just up at the next set of traffic lights which was just what we wanted! I have not been to any other hotels, motels or Inns in North Bay though most of them are on Lakeshore Road but I would DEFINITELY recommend this motel and would DEFINITELY stay here again! The pictures on this review are for the Lakeshore Suites Plus so I posted the ones I took here!
Melissa

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Though the outside looks like a well kept motel, the rooms - which are reasonably priced - are well laid out, clean and very comfortable. They seem to want to cater to a business clientele and I can see why longer stays at this place would be attractive.

Memory foam mattress and pillows meant a great night's sleep. Good wifi reception. Modern bathroom and basic kitchenette. Comfy workspace!

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Recently stayed there for a short, one night stay. I had already stayed at the Holiday Inn Express before and knew it was good and modern, but pricey! So I decided to look around. I found this place thanks to reviews online and decided to book it. I love the fact that you can rent your own little cabin... It feels like your very own apartment or cottage, complete with little porch, kitchen with basic necessities (including a toaster, utensils, a couple pots, a couple dish rags and dish soap...), kitchen table, armoire, two mini fridges, TV, chaise, and bed. No tub but that didn't bother me any. There was even a trampoline outside our cabin, I was almost tempted to try it out. Seeing as it's a private cabin, it smelled slightly "enclosed" but they had a scent plug-in as a remedy to that. Minor issue, summers get damp and hot and it's hard to prevent in an enclosed space like that. I would just remove the carpet to help with that issue. Apart from being a bit dated and needing a bit of an aesthetic makeover (pink and purple walls, red and green carpet, floral bedspread, kitchen table was kind of scratched up) it was just what I expected and needed and for a great price. The essential was there and that's what's important (Clean place to spend the night, rest my head, get cleaned up... Free wifi, black-out curtains and nicely folded face cloths to boot). It was a very hot humid day, and I was very relieved that the air conditioning was on when I got in the cabin. As for at the front desk, I was greeted warmly. I was tired and not thinking, I parked far from my cabin. The lovely woman that was there to greet me at the front desk came outside and told me I could park right next to my cabin. How convenient! Also, there was no hair dryer in the room (another minor flaw) but I called (early, around 6:15 am) to get one and she came right to my door with one. The bed wasn't uncomfortable but I think I'm used to softer. Everyone has their personal preference as far as mattresses go so take that with a big grain of salt! You can't please everyone when it comes to mattresses. To sum it up, if I need to spend another night in North Bay, I would more than likely stay there again and I will recommend this place to others.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

stayed there for 2 weeks, the owners work there so they will give you extra attention and it shows they care about there buisiness. They are supper friendly and will do the extra mille to accommodate you. IF your a runner, you will enjoy running in Premier Street, from the hotel it is a 5Km run.

The rooms are nice and loved the real fire place. THe rooms have micro wave, sink, AC.

Stayed May 2013
montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed here for two months between Arpil and June and it was a lovely stay. The rooms are clean, comfortable and the fireplace is a very nice touch. This is a great value.

It is also well located down the street from a 24 hour Metro grocery store and Tim Horton's. The owners were a pleasure to deal with.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
New Liskeard, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

BUT, there was a noise from the next room that sounded like a boiler or other machine turning on and off and thumping and banging all night. The staff was alerted around 1 a.m. and they were on the problem immediately. They had indeed put us in a suite beside a utility room and rather than offer us another room(the place was empty), the maintenance man "fixed" the noise. NOT! No sooner had he fixed it and left, the noise started again. My wife and I tried to tolerate it but around 2:30 they were called again and by then we were too tired to move so we ended up falling asleep due to exhaustion more than anything. The place was clean, the beds were comfortable, the price was very good due to time of year, but I was there to sleep, not wait for staff to fix a problem in the wee hours of the morning. I'm very sick and it was very cold out or I would have demanded another suite but you'd think they would have known to offer us another room rather than have to ask for the obvious. I mentioned it when checking out and all we received was an apology and a thanks for staying. They could have done better especially since the place was empty all but for maybe 2 other guests and there's two different sets of suites.

Room Tip: Make sure they don't put you beside any maintenance rooms if you're interested in sleeping.