“Not Clean” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 26 hotels in North Bay
St Catharines, Ontario
“Not Clean”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

Stay there Nov 6-8 this is my 3rd time this time it was bad, the shower was filthy, black, left a know for the maid to clean the shower, which did not happen, only made the bed did not check the bathroom, give clean towels, they shut the heat off we got back from the craft show after 9 pm and the room was freezing. Could not receive incoming calls as they did not answer the phone, morning or night. Has gone down hill each year. Would not recommend this hotel

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

22 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Ottawa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

Place is terrible! Away from any major stores, coffee shops included. Cigarette burns on blankets, mould around tub, 19 " TV, WOW! Never again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
No Fixed Address
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2008

Upon arrival, friendly Parth handed over the keys. His office was neat and laden with Buddhist relics.

The rooms were as can be expected for less than $75. Among the highlights--Stained carpet, worn bed spreads, and bathmats that read "Extreme Flirt". The lowlight--a lingering hint of fecal matter in the air (my chihuahua Fidel actually enjoyed this). Yet ironically, the room seemed clean overall and only one of the three smelled unpleasant.

There was a bottle opener permanently fastened to the door jam into the bathroom. This made me laugh, but was convenient nonetheless and got plenty of use. Our group was neighboured by a man in short shorts who smoked outdoors on chilly evenings.

• Liked — Parth--he stole my heart.
  • Disliked — The hum.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2008

My daughter is going to Nippissing University this fall, so we needed a place to stay for the night as we drove up from Toronto to find her accomodation for the school year.

In planning this trip, I checked out the various websites such as hotels.com, also just searched Google for North Bay hotels. The prices for a place to just sleep the night were $100 plus even for the Comfort Inn, so when I found "The Bay Hotel" ranked high on Trip Advisor, I decided to make the call.

The room for two, with two beds was priced very reasonably at $63. Its exactly what we wanted: safe, simple, comfortable at a reasonable price. "The Bay" is located about a 5-7 minue drive north of the city, but North Bay only having 56,000 people, makes it about 20-25 minutes to anywhere in town, and only 10 minutes or so to the university and shopping on the north end of North Bay.

The room was comfortable, staff friendly. Sure the room could be more modern but for this price I am more than satisfied. The free wireless internet is a bonus. In our room #7, there was no problem getting a signal, in fact I'm writing this from our room right now. I travel quite a bit on business and most hotels charge $10-$15 for internet access so having it free is just an added bonus.

Other amenities:
- tv with sattelite
- microwave
- fridge

And for the person that complained that the toilet paper was too "rough", we brought a roll of the "good stuff", but didn't use it as what the hotel provided is just fine. Also in travelling north out of North Bay just look for the big billboard that says "Bay Hotel ahead 1 minute". Can't miss it.

I'd stay at the Bay again for sure
Doug and Char from Toronto

• Liked — Great value for a clean comfortable room
  • Disliked — All good.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2007

Myself and my wife went to North Bay on September 30th. We reached North Bay late at the night so checked into Comfort Inn. Next day, We looked the phone book, called few motels and went to see the rooms and facilities in and around the city.

We found the "Bay Motel" which was just five minutes from all the major attractions, in a natural park like settings and MOST IMPORTANTLY, just at half the price of Comfort Inn ! We were welcomed with friendly smile at front desk, who was very helpful.

In that price we got very clean, neat room with air condition, fridge, microwave, and coffee ! Additionally room included setallite TV and in-room wrieless internet. There are few restaurants which are just at two minutes drive.

I will recommend this motel to all those who does not need a hi-fi luxerious hotel but need a good accomodation to relax and enjoy at a good price !

• Liked — Great Value for the price
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Peterborough, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

I did not pick this motel; my daughter Erin and her SO Rick had, previous to our arrival, apparently because it was "cheaper" than an earlier choice.

Getting there, we'd nearly turned around, over and over again, thinking we'd gone MUCH too far out of town without finding it.

Once found, the gentleman in the office was very pleasant & helpful, and the room was priced fairly. Luckily, the room next to Erin & Rick's was vacant, and actually came with an "upgrade"; a "countertop kitchen" - stainless steel kitchen sink & 4-plate countertop range (which we didn't make use of). Two double beds, mini-fridge & microwave, TV & ExpressVu, two remotes, A/C unit through the back wall (high up), ceiling fan, bedside digital clock/radio - everything worked well, except TV volume was marginal ("motel TVs?")

Complaints: Very '70s - a tad shabby, worn at the edges; you know the kind. Tidy, but not gleamingly spotless. Two-ply tissues in the room, *no* TP in the bathroom, industrial one-ply TP provided *after* a trip to the office (a BIG point of contention - this is somewhere I *DO NOT* want chafing, understand?!) Wireless internet access was abysmal, basically non-existent. L-shaped complex, we were in the corner room. Host's son came down (touted by the Host as his resident "expert"), who finally suggested I try sitting outside our room (so I can broadcast I have a laptop for the stealing, should I be fool enough not to take it with me from that point on). I finally *did* get a signal from their AP, sitting outside my room, though I didn't manage to access it successfully, due to low signal strength. I supposed I could have tried sitting in my car, parked in front of the office, to get an adequate signal with which to utilize the advertised wireless internet services, not an option I considered adequate. Distributing photos of my newborn grand-daughter would wait for my return home, sadly.

Locks on our windows were loose, but worked; in Erin & Rick's room, the receivers for the latches were missing (wouldn't lock, no protection).

My advance research focus was on wireless internet access, and for that reason (hindsight always being 20-20!) I wish we'd kept our original booking, since I spent considerable time and aggravation mucking about with a very unsatisfactory offering that really didn't make the grade, and really shouldn't've been on the sign in front of the motel.

Overall, no horror story, but a rather unsatisfying stay, nonetheless.

• Disliked — Lack of advertised wireless internet access
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Bay Motel? Share your experiences!